Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334852 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Ys Oath in Felghana trouble...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ys Oath in Felghana trouble...  (Read 2622 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »

So, my girlfriend and I bought Ys: Oath in Felghana for our trip. And we're getting destroyed by the bosses left and right, to the extent that I don't know whether we're playing it right. I've been playing RPGs and aRPGs for over 10 years, and I've NEVER encountered boss battles as difficult as this. First the boss in the mines, then the dragon/snake boss in the fire caves, and now the giant bird/dragon boss at the end of the fire caves. Each one took me 10+ tries set on the lowest difficulty setting. When I read FAQs, it doesn't talk about the bosses being this difficult, and the dungeons are pretty easy for the most part, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I haven't been able to get back to the town for 2 1/2 dungeons, so I haven't been able to upgrade my equipment either. What are some suggestions: rediculous grinding, changing battle tactics (to what?), or are there some hidden items. At this rate, I don't think I'm going to be able to continue playing.

The only boss that's been, what I would call "managable" was the battle with Chester at the end of the Ruins. It took me 3 tries, but I did beat him on the normal setting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:16:55 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »

A lot of times the difference one level can make could change a boss fight from an exercise of anal rapeage to manageable.

Beyond that, treat them like Megaman bosses. Go in a few times just to find out what to watch for and when to choose to go on the offensive or defensive. Remember you don't have any healing items, the number of mistakes you can make per boss fight is limited.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »

This is why I can't replay Ys game. I'm so glad when I finally defeat a boss, I never want to see it again...  ever.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »

It's a bit of a copout, but grinding is the way to go in this case. While skill and strategy do play a major role, gear and levels make a huge difference too, even by just one. The especially remains true in the 1st two games.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

Remember to abuse your EX mode attack thing too.  That made the difference for me in nearly every boss fight, as it lets you go on the offensive without much risk, and will also heal you if you get a double EX.

But what Aeolus said is the most important, I think.  The biggest thing in the boss fights are knowing the enemies' patterns and being able to respond.  Like, the firebird boss you are currently stuck on telegraphs what attack he's going to do like CRAZY, and all of his attacks are easily dodgeable if you're in the right position.  Don't treat the fights like battles of attrition, each battle should be a strictly hit-and-run affair, like the battle with Chester was.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: