Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334523 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FNC/Production 1 Conference Recap (FFXIII-2, Agito XIII->Type-0)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: FNC/Production 1 Conference Recap (FFXIII-2, Agito XIII->Type-0)  (Read 13691 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »

JRPGs are dead
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »

Its ok though we'll still buy them
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:24 PM »

^True, true... we love to hate on JRPGs. But also in retrospective these game are not all that shit compared to other titles.

And I'm the only one that think that XIII-2 must be renamed just for shit and giggles as Final Fantasy XIII: The Last Hope? Don't deny it, is a better title. XIII-2 sounds silly and I can't say it out loud when I'm buying the damn thing in the store, I just say: "I'll get that game. Yeah, that one. The one with the cute girl".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:05:21 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »

JRPGs are dead

What's the best RPG this gen? Demon's Souls. Project Dark is coming out this year too, so that could be my RPGoTY.

JRPGs aint dead as long as developers like From Software are willing to move on to something more relevant.

(inb4 "But Demon's Souls is not a JRPG").

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

That Versus trailer was smoking, it's a shame we're going to have to wait so long for it. At least Type-0 will come sooner and it looked great as well. FFXIII-2 was too short and too much of a teaser (which it is) to make any conclusions out of it. The predecessor was disappointing and I'm more than willing to give it a second chance. And if it's anything like FFX-2, that will make me happy as well. Definitely going to import all 3 of them.

I come in peace :)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »

JRPGs are dead

What's the best RPG this gen? Demon's Souls. Project Dark is coming out this year too, so that could be my RPGoTY.

JRPGs aint dead as long as developers like From Software are willing to move on to something more relevant.

Demon's Souls is not a JRPG.

But really, I haven't played it. Isn't it pretty damn westernized though?

All of this is a damn shame, because Square-Enix has the ability and potential to actually make a good Final Fantasy game, they just make terrible design choices constantly.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »

It's a JRPG only because it's made by a Japanese gaming company and is an RPG. Otherwise it shares no similarities with the JRPG sub-genre at all. None that spring to mind anyway.

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »

Great, lightning thinks she is Cecil as a paladin. God why are they SO hard up on XIII lineage? I hate this so much! I want a completely new FF that has NO affiliation with Tetsua Nomura! I really do believe he is the down fall of Final Fantasy.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

Let's not start hating on it before it's out. We have a single trailer to go on with no gameplay footage. It might turn out to be really good. *Hopes for the best*

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

JRPGs are dead

FF13 sold 5.5 million copies. You will do as you're told

All of this is a damn shame, because Square-Enix has the ability and potential to actually make a good Final Fantasy game, they just make terrible design choices constantly.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »

Translation of all the dialogue in the versus trailer:

Driver: Prince Noctis. (Several times)
Driver: That over there's intense isn't it?
Noctis: It's just like an occupation.
(Tool booth says that it's closed, but they get to go through anyway since he's a prince.)
Noctis: Goodbye, whoever you are.
Lady: You see the light too, right Noctis?
Lady: So do I.
Lady: When the goddess Etro opens the gates to welcome the souls of the fallen, the dazzling light that lights up the land of the dead leaks out into the heaven.
Lady: Sometimes there are those that can see the light. These people are gifted with powers from the land of the dead.
Lady: Did you receive any powers Noctis?
Noctis: I don't know about Etro's light or whatever, but I don't like seeing that.
Lady: But why... why are there people who can see it and people who can't, I wonder?
Lady: I believe that there is some special meaning to it, and I've been thinking about it for a long time.
Noctis: A meaning with.. seeing the light?
Lady: Yes. For example maybe there is something I must do or accomplish?

King: I see, so you are just using it?
King: However, I'm sorry to say that you can not become king.
King: I will not turn over the throne to anyone.
King: I will go down in history as the last king
Noctis: Ignis, how was it?
Ignis: L'cie(?) were continuing as if nothing happened. They continue to thrive together with the crystal.
Ignis: I believe that this is the best way it could end for the Niflheim side. (There's some word that sounds like like Hanawa.. but I don't think it fits in. Might be referring to some in-game thing that I/we don't know anything about.
Noctis: That means we will do a full assault and recapture the crystal, right?
Ignis: No, look at it realistically Noct.
Noctis: You saw my strength, didn't you!?
Gladiolus: We saw it, but your body isn't used to your new power yet. I must be tough right now.
Ignis: You're going to need time.

Grumpy: Let's go!
Noctis: Why should I, the strongest of us all, run away?
Ignis: When you're here the number of victims will increase.
Noctis: Why!?
Ignis: You're their target. They probably want to take you hostage and use that advantage in negotiations.
Noctis: Negotiations? At this stage?
Noctis: I'll just beat them all.
Ignis: Noct, I'm sorry but you're just not strong enough.
Noctis: WTF!?
(DRAGOON! HELLZ YEAH!)

Ignis (I think): Do you have a plan? Something 10 times worse.
Noctis: I'm going to think of a way to return it hundredfold

Translation of the video explaining the mythology:

Once upon a time, a god ruled the world. He was called Buniberzei.

Buniberzei defeated his mother, the goddess Muin, and took control of the world for himself.

Muin disappeared into the unseen world--the invisible world.

Buniberzei was a god with many troubles.

The world, it was certain, was destined to die.

He believed this was a curse laid on the world by his mother Muin. Buniberzei knew he had to destroy her.

To do this, he must search for the door. The door to the invisible world where his mother waited.

Using his will alone, he created the first falíCie.

First, he created falíCie Pulse.

The duty he laid on him was to open the world, and search for the door to Muin.

Next, he created falíCie Etro.

But it was a mistake. Unknowingly, he created her exactly in the image of Muin.

Buniberzei feared her, and gave Etro no power of her own.

Instead, he created falíCie Lindzei.

The duty he laid on him was to protect Buniberzei from all who might seek to destroy him.

Buniberzei gave Lindzei one special duty. To wake him once the time came.

Then he turned to crystal, and fell into an endless sleep.

Pulse wished to expand the world, so he created many falíCie and líCie.

Lindzai wished to protect the world, so he created many falíCie and líCie.

But Etro was powerless, and could do nothing of her own.

Lonely, she thought of her mother, who she so resembled.

Etro tore at her body, letting her blood flow to the earth, and disappeared from the visible world.

From that blood, torn from her body, sprung humankind.

Creatures that were born, only to die.

The destruction of the visible world was no curse, only fate.

The world was divided into two halves, the visible and the invisible.

If the balance between these two were destroyed, the world itself would be destroyed.

The goddess Muin could do nothing to stop this fate.

She was being swallowed into the chaos of the invisible world.

Just before her last moment, Etro came to her side.

Muin told Etro that she must protect the balance of the world, before slipping into the chaos forever.

But Etro was foolish, and didnít know the meaning behind Muinís words.

Etro was lonely, but she felt affection for those humans who live only to die.

As they died, she smiled, and gave them chaos.

The chaos Etro gave them, the humans named ďheartĒ.

Their hearts would become their power, but the humans did not yet know this.

Soon, they called Pulse the all powerful ruler. Lindzei they named their protector, and Etro... Etro the named Ďdeathí.

The humans lived on the world, hold chaos inside them.

Because they held chaos so close, the world once again was in balance.

And Buniberzei still sleeps. A crystal.

Until the end of forever...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

FFV13 renamed to Final Fantasy Boy Band XIII
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

FFvXIII looked a lot cooler before I read that translation. I hope they do a lot toward making the character's personalities come out, because their dialog sucks. I hate it when games feel the need to pack every line of dialog with "important plot tidbits." That's what I miss about FF8 and FF9, a lot of the dialog between characters had NOTHING to do with the overarching plot, it was just the characters being who they were, even if we disliked them. I think that's what's been wrong with FFX-FFXIII, is every line of dialog is packed with plot details, with the soul exception of Baltheir, who just said things because he wanted to.

Speaking of which, I think FFXIII-2 will work if that second character turns out to be an upbeat wise-ass like Jade Curtis or Balthier. That would be a GREAT foil for the moody Light. I was expecting Snow to be that in the beginning, but he turned out to be a snivling meatheaded dumbass. Someone classy, someone with gravatas and wit. But not over the top or goofy. That would turn FFXIII-2 into something really to look forward to. And judging from his experssion and entrance, I could very well see it. After all, Balthier was very popular, and S-E knows it, maybe they'll try to replicate it. And in this case, it would probably be the best thing to happen to the title.

And finally, Type-0 looks really generic. It reminded me of Lost Odyssey, or a more generic FFXII... steampunk combined with garrishly frilly design sense. All action, no personality. Easilly the weakest of three presentations today. FFXIII-2 was short and basically just had one scene, but that scene had much more character than the entire Type-0 four-and-a-half minutes. Too bad it's the ONE game I have the system to be able to play. But I'm guessing if either vXIII or XIII-2 turns out good, I'll snatch a used PS3 somwhere along the way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:30:22 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »

I've been saying this for years and nobody gives a shit. So I just learned to go with the flow of things and enjoy the games for what they are, is better that way that complaing about serious stuff that no consumer can fix even if he tries really hard.

The new fans of the series (you know, the ones from X to today) are fucked up and kind of stupid, and we are also in the age of "if is pretty, then is a master piece" so people eat all of this without even complain that XIII, for example, was a race to the goal and little else (not to mention that the development of XIII was a mess). Also, Nomura is not the only guy you should "hate" from Square Enix there's quite a few people that make stupid choices for the franchises too, just read the staff of each game and you'll see.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:37:21 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »

The new fans of the series (you know, the ones from X to today) are fucked up and kind of stupid

Why the hell would you group fans of X, XII and XIII together? For shame.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: