Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
Re: Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm sort of confused by the idea behind 3DS.  The bottom screen is not 3D, right?  I don't really know where their focus is with it.  If you're looking at the touch screen, you aren't seeing any 3D (assuming the bottom screen isn't 3D).  If you're looking at the top screen, you can't really utilize the touch screen.  It just seems like an identity crisis.  

It's probably an old discussion, but I'm curious if there was any answer to a question like this.  Or I'm missing something obvious.  Either way I'm curious how those who have played the system think about it.

I've gotta say - the dock that comes with it is very handy.  I really like it.

Oh, and as for battery life, I've got mine set to auto-brightness on the screen, and the other day, I checked out all of my stats.  I had played for about 2 hours, and the battery was still showing three out of four lines.  I assume that means it was somewhere between 50 and 75%.

If anyone's worried about the battery life, this thing is getting positive reviews

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45:37 AM »
You're right that the bottom screen isn't in 3D. They decided not to because it introduced too many technical issues to have a 3D touch screen.

I haven't had any gripe with that, though. 3DS games thus far are pretty similar to DS games, where you use both screens, but your attention at any given moment is focused on just one. So my squad in Ghost Recon is fighting on the top screen in 3D, and the map/info screen is in 2D on the bottom. Works great. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2011, 06:28:44 AM »
Not saying much? Total sales are slightly above half of what nintendo was expecting at this point. People were expecting it to smoke the competition, not being outsold by 7 year old hardware less than a month after release.

Expectations didn't take into account the Earthquake. Not that necessarily guarantees WHY it's selling less, it's not as if all of Japan got wiped out afterall, but I can see people being somewhat more frugal and either not buying a handheld or buying (replacing?) the cheaper one.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
Not saying much? Total sales are slightly above half of what nintendo was expecting at this point. People were expecting it to smoke the competition, not being outsold by 7 year old hardware less than a month after release.

Expectations didn't take into account the Earthquake. Not that necessarily guarantees WHY it's selling less, it's not as if all of Japan got wiped out afterall, but I can see people being somewhat more frugal and either not buying a handheld or buying (replacing?) the cheaper one.

Yeah but keep in mind that the earthquake didn't stop the PSP from having a fantastic week (probably thanks to FFIV). It goes both ways, the PSP might have sold even more as well.
It certainly helped preventing nintendo from reaching the estimated 1.5 million in the first month but it doesn't invalidate the fact that it was outsold by a previous gen competitor.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:25:55 AM by CDFN »
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
Yeah, but it took Sony how long to finally beat out Nintendo in sales? That's like losing 100 times in a row, then when you finally get that one win you act like you're the best.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
I finally played it at a best buy. Was pretty neat, thought it was mounted to a stand made for kids.

I had to turn the 3d down a little. but the effect was pretty cool. I played Pilotwings.

I'm not sure if I could play it more than a 1/2 hour of this though.

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »
I'm loving both Pilotwings and Samurai Warriors but maybe my eyes suck but I don't really see 3D or maybe I'm doing it wrong?  I can at times but that music video that was from the update, I seen no 3D at all.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »
Dumbest question ever - do you have the 3D slider turned on?  It's on the top screen, on the right hand side.  The little 3D light isn't telling you that 3D is on - it's saying the content you're seeing is available in 3D.  It turns off if you're playing a DS game or something.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Dumbest Question ever?  No, I don't think so.  The 3D is on :P I have vision problems where I always see double and I wear glasses.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Dumbest Question ever?  No, I don't think so.  The 3D is on :P I have vision problems where I always see double and I wear glasses.

You're not alone. I can't see much 3D either. I kind of saw it coming (no pun intended), but was disappointed nonetheless. It's one of the reasons why I haven't bought any 3DS-games yet. I'll wait for reviewcopies. In the meantime it'll be used for Dragon Quest VI. To be honest, I wouldn't even be playing on yet it, if it weren't for my rabbit. He bit through the DS cable mere hours after I brought the 3DS home.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
Last week I mentioned that the PSP outsold the 3DS in Japan 2 weeks ago. Well, the difference has increased substantially, here's the data from last week:

PSP - 58.075
3DS - 42.979

A PS2 game actually charted and at nº 6 no less, it's called Amagami, no idea what the hell that is but it's really impressive, it's actually higher on the chart than any 3DS game.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I was at Target today. Wandered over to the electronics section. First three thoughts:

1. WTF, Okamiden is ut?
2. WTF, Dragon Quest 6 is out?
3. WTF, 3DS is out?

So out of the loop.

(Then I aw a Simon and Garfunkel CD and mentally read Garfunkel as garFUNKel).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:28:57 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
A PS2 game actually charted and at nº 6 no less, it's called Amagami, no idea what the hell that is but it's really impressive, it's actually higher on the chart than any 3DS game.

It's a dating sim.  I have no idea why it's on the charts now, though.  It's not a new game.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
Ono: Street Fighter 3DS connects to a video game system, can't say more until E3

"He said part of his job is to troll".

It's a dating sim.  I have no idea why it's on the charts now, though.  It's not a new game.

Dice's avatar is from Amagami.

supersonic

• Prefers JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
As I was walking from home from work I got this great idea to buy a 3DS. I walked over to the nearby Best Buy, went to the video games section, took a look at the current 3DS lineup and I was like "Ummm, no". And I went home.