Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US  (Read 41979 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »

Has anyone updated their system yet? When you update it, it puts a video on there from the band Ok Go. I don't care much for the song, but the video is really cool when you view it in 3D, especially since there's a bunch of dogs jumping around.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »

Glad to know I wasn't the only one - updated it pretty much as soon as I got it set up. Hoping that there'd be some cooler stuff in the update.  But that video's not bad. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »

Yeah, I did enjoy the AR games, and it's neat how my area gets distorted by it. I did have some trouble playing it though because my room isn't well lit. Face Raiders is also a very interesting game in it's own right. Been making faces out of inanimate objects for fun.

My room is poorly lit too.  I am going to try again somewhere else, maybe the bathroom.

I just tried Face Raiders 10 minutes ago, and was floored by it.  I shot a hole in my TV!  I can't wait to get some other people's faces in there too.  I'm yearning for some type of laser-tag now.

Oh, and the OK Go video had cool dogs, I agree.  When I heard there was a video, I was hoping it was something like a pixar movie trailer.  My girlfriend is going to flip out if 3D movies really start coming out on 3DS...

Ghost Recon is like a linear visual novel.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:18:12 AM by Fei » Logged

The weekend rockstars are in the toilet, practicing their lines...
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »

I hate to be a downer, but has anyone else played a DS game on their 3DS?  I've been playing Pokemon, and noticed that the text is a bit blurry on both screens.  Wondered if anyone else has seen it.

—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »

I hate to be a downer, but has anyone else played a DS game on their 3DS?  I've been playing Pokemon, and noticed that the text is a bit blurry on both screens.  Wondered if anyone else has seen it.

I've played several.  That weirdo effect seems to be exclusive to Pokemon, I noticed it too immediately.  Okamiden looks great, so does Radiant Historia.  I think it's because of the higher resolution of the display area.  It's got double the horizontal resolution and it doesn't cope well for Pokemon.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »

dont pokemon games tend to have larger than normal text? maybe that has something to do with it as well.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »

Thank god it's just pokemon.  As soon as I saw it I thought I'd have to keep my DSi around indefinitely.

While we are talking about downers, my 3DS gets pretty warm during Ghost Recon, and it actually black screened on me once.  I think it's because I leave the wifi on.

About the blurry pokemon thing, someone should try this http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1157584p1.html I have to get back to work.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:54:00 PM by Fei » Logged

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

While we are talking about downers, my 3DS gets pretty warm during Ghost Recon, and it actually black screened on me once.  I think it's because I leave the wifi on.

Another writer and I were talking about this - while I didn't get the warmth, Ghost Recon did black screen on me.  Might be specific to GR.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

I kept my DS lite just in case. I played Etrian Odyssey 3 on the 3DS. It did look blurry, and the touch screen portion looked smaller. I'll try playing on the original resolution to see if it looks any better. It would be really annoying if I have to keep my DS lite around when I shouldn't have to.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »

About the blurry pokemon thing, someone should try this http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1157584p1.html I have to get back to work.

Thanks for the info.  I tried that and it worked exactly as described.  I had to keep holding the start button for a bit, though.  That is, push the button, tap the game icon, and keep holding the button for a few seconds while the screen goes black & such.  It's a little freaky, and it does it again when you hit the home button to move back to the home menu.

It was kind of shocking to see how much smaller it appeared on the screens once it was in its native resolution, but it wasn't blurry!

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

Thank god it's just pokemon.  As soon as I saw it I thought I'd have to keep my DSi around indefinitely.

It's not just Pokemon, it's every DS game though it may be more glaring with games like Pokemon. Reminds me of how wretched PSU on the PS2 looked on an HDTV, while games like Persona came out pretty well. If you want guaranteed high graphical fidelity however without compromising size you'll need to hang onto a non-3D DS.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »

Does Street Pass require that you have the Wi-Fi turned on?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »

That is a very good question.  Street Pass didn't seem to be working with my girlfriend and me, but she simply hadn't set up her plaza yet.  I thought "maybe I have to have Wi-Fi on..." and turned it on anyway, so I didn't get an answer to that one.

On top of the Wi-Fi question, I wonder what the range is on Street Pass.  I'm going to start bringing my 3DS to GameStop and other places, but I'd rather not creep up on everyone who looks like a gamer haha.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

That is a very good question.  Street Pass didn't seem to be working with my girlfriend and me, but she simply hadn't set up her plaza yet.  I thought "maybe I have to have Wi-Fi on..." and turned it on anyway, so I didn't get an answer to that one.

On top of the Wi-Fi question, I wonder what the range is on Street Pass.  I'm going to start bringing my 3DS to GameStop and other places, but I'd rather not creep up on everyone who looks like a gamer haha.

It turns out that you do. I just went into my plaza and a message popped up saying "To use streetpass, enable wireless communication bu turning the wireless switch on." :P I guess that's not too big a deal if it's in sleep mode. It won't eat up a lot of battery. I'm going to put it in my backpack whenever I go out and see what happens!

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »

I'm amazed that question is being asked really, it's a wireless function and therefore MUST use Wi-Fi. It's almost like asking if I really need to plug in the power cord before I use my electrical appliance or something.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: