Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:57:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327214 Posts in 13395 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US  (Read 42920 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »

I'm amazed that question is being asked really, it's a wireless function and therefore MUST use Wi-Fi. It's almost like asking if I really need to plug in the power cord before I use my electrical appliance or something.

I didn't know it was a Wi-Fi function. I thought it was something like download play where it would just recognize that another DS was near you and pick up on it. I never had to connect to wi-fi in order to play Mario Kart with one of my friends.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »

I'm amazed that question is being asked really, it's a wireless function and therefore MUST use Wi-Fi. It's almost like asking if I really need to plug in the power cord before I use my electrical appliance or something.

I didn't know it was a Wi-Fi function. I thought it was something like download play where it would just recognize that another DS was near you and pick up on it. I never had to connect to wi-fi in order to play Mario Kart with one of my friends.
Yeah, the way Nintendo's been explaining it, it didn't sound like a wifi related function. My common sense said it was, but it's not exactly like Nintendo went and said "You need to have your wifi connection on for it to work".

TASTY!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

Wi-Fi implies internet when dealing with Nintendo.  Why would Street Pass require internet?  The idea is that you walk past people randomly and sense their 3DS, not that you walk to a public Wi-Fi hotspot, log into it, and then go "oh what do you know, other users were at the Wi-Fi hotspot."  I know for a fact my girlfriend was not logged into the internet when we did it.

I think it is more that the Wi-Fi button encompasses all wireless activity, not simply internet.  It's hard to play the semantics card when Wi-Fi isn't a solid technical term, but when you see "Nintendo Wi-Fi" on the box of a DS game, it means online functionality every time.  It will otherwise only say "Wireless multi-card play" or "Wireless download play".  

I reject your electrical analogy. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:01:06 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »

Wi-Fi implies internet when dealing with Nintendo.  Why would Street Pass require internet?  The idea is that you walk past people randomly and sense their 3DS, not that you walk to a public Wi-Fi hotspot, log into it, and then go "oh what do you know, other users were at the Wi-Fi hotspot."  I know for a fact my girlfriend was not logged into the internet when we did it.

I think it is more that the Wi-Fi button encompasses all wireless activity, not simply internet.  It's hard to play the semantics card when Wi-Fi isn't a solid technical term, but when you see "Nintendo Wi-Fi" on the box of a DS game, it means online functionality every time.  It will otherwise only say "Wireless multi-card play" or "Wireless download play".  

I reject your electrical analogy. 

This pretty much confirms what I said. Logically, you'd assume a wifi connection (or more specific, wireless connection) needs to be active for it, but Nintendo made no attempt to bluntly say turn it on. Then again, most of the old DS games that did active searches for people using a function that would link you to their DS (like DQIX's friend thing that skips my mind.) prompted you that your wireless would be active during the process. Granted, now it's a function on the 3DS, but still...you guys should get my drift.

TASTY!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2011, 12:56:37 AM »

I just checked my 3DS and the slider actually just says "Wireless" not Wi-Fi.  It is a general communications on/off switch.  

If I had known that, then it would have been a dumb question, "will I need wireless communications in order to communicate wirelessly?"

So there seems to be some sort of RPG type game in the Mii plaza after you obtain a visitor.  I was apparently the king, and there was some mention of hunting ghosts and stuff.  I had to shut it off before the actual game started, but it was... unexpected.

In other news Street Fighter 4 has become my favorite 3DS game.  I expected to quickly test out the touch-macro system (in case you could map entire combo strings to a button, no you can't) and got completely addicted to the arcade mode, and by arcade mode I mean being challenged constantly by people over Wi-Fi.  I don't even know if BP and PP have any use, but it's fun seeing numbers go up.

I'm having a hard time getting into Ghost Recon.  I'm only on level 2, but combat seems to drag a bit, and the tutorials are either worded tediously, or are simply too wordy, or something.  I am hoping the pacing smooths out once the game starts rolling.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:05:43 AM by Fei » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:40 AM »

That RPG-type game is one of the ways you can use the coins you earn from walking.  You can spend 2 coins to hire a cat person to go fight for you if you don't have any Miis in your plaza... or something.

I think the combat does improve in Ghost Recon after you get a few more levels in.  They're just trying to tutorial you into things gently in the first few.  Once you've picked up a few dudes individually, you'll start fighting as a team, and that's a good thing.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »

In other news Street Fighter 4 has become my favorite 3DS game.  I expected to quickly test out the touch-macro system (in case you could map entire combo strings to a button, no you can't) and got completely addicted to the arcade mode, and by arcade mode I mean being challenged constantly by people over Wi-Fi.  I don't even know if BP and PP have any use, but it's fun seeing numbers go up.

Even though it's the only 3DS game I bought, I'm loving SSF4. I play it more than the console version. Maybe because it's easier to pick up and play, opposed to setting up my stick and playing on the big TV. I haven't had any problems being able to do any combos either. I set the controls to pro and use the 3 kick/punch buttons to do ultras. Everything else is doable with the d-pad.

We should exchange friend codes, Fei!

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »

PSP outsold the 3DS in Japan last week:

PSP - 51.095
3DS - 50.710

Maybe a supply shortage?

Best selling 3DS game was º3:

01.  [PSP] Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection (Square Enix) {2011.03.24} - 104.173 / NEW
02.  [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.10} - 36.548 / 357.113 (-46%)
03.  [3DS] Gundam: The 3D Battle (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.24} - 23.500 / NEW

The PSP is incredibly strong in Japan. What a difference compared to the rest of the world. As for non-handhelds, the PS3 is the only hardware with decent nembers since the wii decline started a few months ago. 2 weeks ago the wii was below 10000 for the first time ever, last week it managed 11000. PS3 has been steady between 25000-30000 units.
2 weeks ago the PS2 actually outsold the 360 (!), this week the 360 wins by a 100 unit margin:
360 - 1.963
PS2 - 1.862

I'm very curious to see how the NGP does in Japan considering that it's predecessor is actually outselling the 3DS.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »

It was only outselling the 3DS for one week, though. That's not saying much. Considering that there aren't that many games out for the 3DS right now, and the PSP has been getting some decent games lately, it makes sense.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »

Not saying much? Total sales are slightly above half of what nintendo was expecting at this point. People were expecting it to smoke the competition, not being outsold by 7 year old hardware less than a month after release.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »

Not saying much? Total sales are slightly above half of what nintendo was expecting at this point. People were expecting it to smoke the competition, not being outsold by 7 year old hardware less than a month after release.

I still don't see the big deal. It only did it for a week. If it consistently continued to outsell the 3DS, then I would see it being a big deal. The 3DS is going to pick back up when more games start coming out. So far, the 3DS has sold more on launch day than any of their other handhelds.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

Mine just arrived in the mail today with Pilotwings Resort and a nice carrying case for the 3DS.  I'm going to charge it all day while im at work.  I'll be posting my opinions of it sometime tomorrow.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »

I've gotta say - the dock that comes with it is very handy.  I really like it.

Oh, and as for battery life, I've got mine set to auto-brightness on the screen, and the other day, I checked out all of my stats.  I had played for about 2 hours, and the battery was still showing three out of four lines.  I assume that means it was somewhere between 50 and 75%.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

Thats good about the battery life. Most of the time I'll be at home playing it charged anyways.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »

I just realized that I'm playing playing Super Street Fighter 4 in 3D, not on a Blu-Ray, DVD, or UMD, but a tiny little handheld cartridge.  You know that little extra nub of plastic on the cart that differentiates 3DS games from regular DS games?  That must be where they packed all of the extra storage space and stuff.

I agree about the charging dock being great.  You don't have to reel in a charger's cord and fumble around inserting it like it's your first time.  Also, setting it down to charge doesn't feel like a commitment- I only charged my DSi when I was done playing.  I will set my 3DS in it's dock every few moments without thinking about it.  Perhaps that is the point, to get us to forget about the overall short battery life keeping the small battery charged always.

My main gaming area doesn't have a conveniently located outlet, or else I might leave it plugged in directly... but you can't play Face Raiders with a tether!

I just let my mom try Face Raiders, to see if the 3D effect wowed her and if she thought it was neat.  She complained about her picture the whole time, and was happy to shoot it away hahah.  When the boss showed up with her face on it again she went "Oh no, it's back?"  That was the first time I've seen my mom play videogames *sniff* 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:14:50 PM by Fei » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: