Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334462 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Launching at $249.99 on March 27 in the US  (Read 44153 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »

Agreed, but the lineup is just terrible, and looks to be throughout 2011, though 12 could be unfuckingbelievable, the way it was for the DS.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:49 PM »

Got a reminder yesterday that when Nintendo released the DS, they were so unsure about its prospects for success that they swore they'd be supporting "three pillars" of hardware from then on - the GBA, the DS, and the home console line.

But of course, the DS was a massive success, so the GBA went away. Hopefully, we'll see the same with the 3DS.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »

Agreed, but the lineup is just terrible, and looks to be throughout 2011, though 12 could be unfuckingbelievable, the way it was for the DS.

Well, they could announce some new stuff at E3, and assuming there's few to no delays it'll still be a really solid lineup by Christmas, but 2012 probably is the year the 3DS takes off unless something goes wrong.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »

So against my better judgment I picked up a 3DS today because (a) why not and (b) some bad things happened in my personal life (ie. my girlfriend dumped me) and I need something to cheer me up.

Anyway, I also picked up Street Fighter, which is the only 3DS game currently available I was even remotely interested in. I must say that the 3DS is a pretty impressive piece of hardware. I had some troubles with the system update (turns out I had to disable the firewall in my router) but other than that everything went smoothly. The 3D effect is pretty great, although I still think it's a gimmick more than anything else. I also don't think I could play it for an extended period of time with the 3D on without a major headache, but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. In any event, I don't think I will be playing the 3DS at all until who knows when....maybe I'll pick up Zelda when it comes out. Are there any 3DS JRPGs announced for the US at all at this point??
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »

Are there any 3DS JRPGs announced for the US at all at this point??

There's Devil Survivor and possibly Tales of the Abyss coming soon if you don't mind ports. Otherwise I can't think of any original titles coming soon, though if you haven't played Radiant Historia on the DS yet you really ought to.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2011, 01:15:51 AM »

I sure did play Radiant Historia and I'm not really interested in DS Overclocked (but I'm definitely going to get DS2 when that comes out). Tales of the Abyss is very doubtful given Namco Bandai's record of handheld Tales releases here.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »

Tales of the Abyss is very doubtful given Namco Bandai's record of handheld Tales releases here.

True, but then (for awhile) the Amazon page for TotA's manga mentioned the "Upcoming 3DS release" or something like that, and it's from Bandai so they're probably in a better position to know that stuff. That, and it DOES seem awfully convenient timing to release that and the anime in the upcoming months, makes me wonder if they're building up to announcing the 3DS version here. Helps that there's little to no localization work they need to do.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

I'm definitely going to get DS2 when that comes out

Er... what hardware are you talking about?  Do you think they're going to release a DS2 while the 3DS is out, and support two lines of hardware?  Because I just don't see that happening.  They'd say that if you want a DS successor but don't want 3D, just turn off the 3D on your 3DS.  Granted, I don't work for Nintendo - I just think they've learned from the original DS release that they don't need to worry about doing that.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »

I'm definitely going to get DS2 when that comes out

Er... what hardware are you talking about?

Given the proper context of the quote... no hardware?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »

Hahahaha - well, well, well.  Look who's the dummy now?  (That'd be me.)  I completely forgot that there was a game to be released called DS Overclocked.  I thought supersonic meant it as a derogatory nickname for the 3DS. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »

I went to an anime/gaming convention a week ago, and oh my god, Streetpass, specifically Find Mii, is incredible.  Waiting in lines, or doing something you didn't personally want to do, is perfect for compulsively checking for that greenlight indicating that someone walked past you, and you now have a free warrior in Find Mii.  Whats better is trying to figure out who exactly it was (everyone being dressed up as Zack and Pyramid Head didn't make it easy). 

Someone even said "Hey, guy... if you go past room 143 (this took place in a large hotel) you'll get a street pass."

It's like those facebook games I love to hate on, except it allows me to maintain my high horse stance because I can say "I'm actually seeking people out in person."

Basically, not knowing what to do became, "lets go to an area we haven't really covered in search of new people."  It was great.  It doesn't sound like much, but it was a big part of my experience at the con (nevermind taking pictures and keeping track of my spending with the notepad feature).  Next time, I may add a message like "free beer in room <whatever my room is>". 

I even beat someone in SSFIV's figurine battle... I spent a few minutes guessing at what would make a good team, and apparently it paid off.  Watching the battle unfold (which happens with no input from you besides you forming the "deck") was like cheering for a football game or something, and I knew that one of these Tifas or Helghast walking around just got owned by me.

I have a fleet of 35 Miis that I encountered throughout the weekend, and when I go back next year, I'm sure a decent number of them will return, increasing their levels even further. 

It really snuck up on me, and was really cool.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:39:38 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »

I had a similar experience in Disneyland. Normally, it's tough to find people who have a 3DS, but when you find yourself in a group where a number of people have them, it's really cool.

—Kurt Vonnegut
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2011, 02:00:55 AM »

I managed to get about 64 streetpasses currently. Majority of those came from the Final Fantasy music concert for two nights. I really do like how the streetpass is tied to the platform itself, and not to a game only like say, DQ9.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

PSP more than doubled 3DS in Japan this week.
Here's the weekly sales since launch (from gaf):

Week 1 – 374,764
 Week 2 – 209,623
 Week 3 – 96,463
 Week 4 – 61,394
 Week 5 – 50,710
 Week 6 – 42,979
 Week 7 - 32,910
 Week 8 – 28,252
 Week 9 – 23,038

See a pattern?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

Not a sinle 3DS game in the UK's top 40...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: