Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319602 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Looking for some fun Sci-fi reading
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Looking for some fun Sci-fi reading  (Read 5616 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

I've been having a hard time getting into books lately. The last great read was the Gap series by Donaldson. Since then, I've read a few Temeraire books(awful), and 1 1/2 books in the Coldfire series. I am getting bored with book 2 because it seems as if the author doesn't really have a clue as to where she wants to go with it. All sorts of squandered potential in these books.
What I am looking for is something with a futuristic setting, but not some dark "all too real" type thing based on our modern life. I'm thinking something like Star Wars, but not Star Wars, ya know. Take wizards and swordsmen and put them on a space station. Planet hopping, and fighting some evil alien race for world(space?) domination. I want some crazy shit to happening. Epic battles, and heroic( I am SO tired of the whole antihero thing) figures. Toss in a little humor and we'd be good to go.
So, does anyone know of a book like this existing? I'm sure it's out there. I just don't know where to look.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

I don't know of any star wars but not star wars type books, but the other day i busted out a huge chest of books i read in HS and came across my isaac asimov collection.

The Robot Series (esp robots and empire) and the Foundation series are incredible. They're all quick reads and span the galaxy.
Some of them are out of print (just Robots and Empire, and Foundation and Earth, i think) but should be easy enough to find in the internet age.

They were HARD for me to track down in the 90s w/o a 'puter.

I haven't read the Empire novels but I own them...

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

Yeah, I've heard much about the Foundation books over the years. I'm not sure why I haven't read them.
I also think I'm going to finally read Hitchhikers guide. I bought it awhile back, but haven't gotten around to reading it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »

There's Mass Effect novels, do they count? I think my preferences for books leans too far in the opposite direction, or at least I need to poke around more.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

Yeah, I've heard much about the Foundation books over the years. I'm not sure why I haven't read them.
I also think I'm going to finally read Hitchhikers guide. I bought it awhile back, but haven't gotten around to reading it.

A lot of my friends have been trying to get me to read Hitch too. I will soon, it probably has that blend of humor you're looking for.

Curious, why'd you rule out the Star Wars stuff? There're TONS of books and some of them are quite good.

Another direction (though fantasy, sorry) are the Drizzt books. They seem like quick reads and are plentiful, suggesting high adventure type stuff

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »

Not that the question was directed at me, but my feeling on the Star Wars books is that there are too many to weed through and pick out the decent ones.  Also, I wouldn't know where to begin, having only seen the movies.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »

Not that the question was directed at me, but my feeling on the Star Wars books is that there are too many to weed through and pick out the decent ones.  Also, I wouldn't know where to begin, having only seen the movies.

well if that's the issue then Shadows of the Empire and the Heir to the Empire trilogy are awesome reads.

If you REALLY want some trashy sci-fi I recommend THIS

http://www.amazon.com/First-Power-Rogers-Planets-Trilogy/dp/0880388404/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295560302&sr=1-16

That came w/ the Buck Rodgers C64 game back in the day.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

It'll probably be a bit hard to find since I'm pretty sure it's out of print, but if you can find it check out the Star of the Guardian series.  It's 4 books written by Margaret Weis in the 90s.  I don't read any scifi/fantasy anymore, but I really liked these books when I read it back in high school, and I remember thinking "this is like Star Wars, but cooler."  If you do read it and think I'm wrong...blame my high school self, not me.  <.<
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:06:24 PM »

It'll probably be a bit hard to find since I'm pretty sure it's out of print, but if you can find it check out the Star of the Guardian series.  It's 4 books written by Margaret Weis in the 90s.  I don't read any scifi/fantasy anymore, but I really liked these books when I read it back in high school, and I remember thinking "this is like Star Wars, but cooler."  If you do read it and think I'm wrong...blame my high school self, not me.  <.<
I read those way back whenever they came out. I was a big MW & TH fan, and read pretty much anything they wrote together or individually. I recall enjoying them quite a bit.

Yoda, Tooker answered the Star Wars just as I would. It's just so overwhelming. Plus, I'm simply tired of the universe. I'll look into the ones you mentioned, though.

I remember reading A Drizzt book or two a long time ago. I think I liked it back then, but now I see him as just another anti-hero type.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »

Yeah you're probably right, Drizzt is a Drow.

I'll look at my friend's goodreads account. The man has read hundreds of scifi/fantasy books in his day.

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

I just picked up a nice hardcover edition of the original Foundation trilogy,  "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire" and "Second Foundation" for $30.  They're good and pretty epic, I'm about halfway through the 2nd book and so far the story has spanned 300 years.  They're more political than action oriented though.  It's kinda like a sci-fi version of "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »

The name of the bad guy
THE MULE
in one of the books is pretty ridiculous, though.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »

But I remember feeling pretty stoked when I realized who it was. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »

The name of the bad guy
THE MULE
in one of the books is pretty ridiculous, though.

Haha! Yeah =D I'm just gettin' to that part
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »

Ender's Game was the first good one I read.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: