Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329357 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G  (Read 7499 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:05:08 PM »

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/24/psp2_details/

- 3G service (DoCoMo will provide the service)
- OLED touchscreen

Some details from GAF (rumored details):
- Can push early PS3/360 graphics
- RAM similar to 360's
- Rear touchpad
- Dual analog
- Will abandon UMDs, SD cards will be the format
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:12:08 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »

I dunno...  The fact it can do early next--gen graphics perplexes me and me having a next-gen console.

For some reason I don't like the idea based on such... simple and stupid trains of thought... dunno why.  Plus, especially with the PSP's lack of really outstanding titles, I just hope the PSP2 doesn't hit such a roadblock.

I guess it can be kinda cool.  But then it comes down to "do I want a 3DS or PSP2?" - especially when money is tight.  Otherwise it feels like a dick-measuring contest for who can get the better stuff out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »

I dunno...  The fact it can do early next--gen graphics perplexes me and me having a next-gen console.

"Next gen" started half a decade ago, there's kids born when the 360 was that are now entering pre-school. We can't really call it that anymore.

Hope 3G's not necessary (or alternatively, like the Kindle it's free), otherwise Sony will have figured out how to put themselves out of reach of many people. Can't see many people wanting to worry about a monthly wireless bill to use their PSP, or possibly even need to go with another service.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »

I dunno...  The fact it can do early next--gen graphics perplexes me and me having a next-gen console.

"Next gen" started half a decade ago, there's kids born when the 360 was that are now entering pre-school. We can't really call it that anymore.

What else do we call it?  I just find it works for all intensive purposes.... =/
Unless it's misleading with something other than Wii[?], Xbox3-shitty, and PS3....

As for the second point, I hope it's free 3G as well.  I imagined thats why people love the PS3 so much - at least you don't have to pay for online play (which, IMO, is ridiculous... it's bad enough some of these games aren't multiplayer unless you and your buddy both have the game).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:11:16 AM by Dice » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

What else do we call it?  I just find it works for all intensive purposes.... =/
Unless it's misleading with something other than Wii[?], Xbox3-shitty, and PS3....

Current-gen should be the obvious choice. It's not the next one after all, it's the current one!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »

Current-gen should be the obvious choice. It's not the next one after all, it's the current one!

Whatever!! x|
haha

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »

I dunno...  The fact it can do early next--gen graphics perplexes me and me having a next-gen console.

As for the second point, I hope it's free 3G as well.  I imagined thats why people love the PS3 so much - at least you don't have to pay for online play (which, IMO, is ridiculous... it's bad enough some of these games aren't multiplayer unless you and your buddy both have the game).

Is that why you call it the 3-shitty? Haha. Sure, PSN is free, but I imagine M$ gives better service since they're actually paid. :P Still, I've never owned a 360, and I'm not sure I'd pay for Live if I bought one now, I've already built up my PS3 library.

..back to the 3G thing though: Really doubt it'll be free, I don't think there's such thing. It'd have to go through a wireless provider or whoever else offers 3G services *here* by the time it's out. (Maybe it'll be cheap monthly? IDK.) Plus you'll still be able to use wi-fi with it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:29:21 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:01:28 AM »

I'd be pretty shocked if the 3G was free, but that doesn't mean it will be required.  To me it just seems like an obvious thing to have as an option.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:22 AM »

I'd be pretty shocked if the 3G was free, but that doesn't mean it will be required.  To me it just seems like an obvious thing to have as an option.

It IS unlikely, Kindle probably only gets away with it because the most bandwidth intensive things are... uhh, books. And the largest of those would be but a few megabytes, it'd be akin to buying a very expensive, very long lasting MP3 in terms of space. I'm pretty sure there isn't much in the way of proper web browsing.

Hell, even then it's "free" rather than free, you pay one extra fee upfront but nothing else afterwards.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:42 AM »

People think the 3DS is a battery hog? I can't wait to see what the battery life on this thing is going to be.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »

Oh, man - I'm such a sucker for hardware.  This has me excited again, and I'm just now trying to figure out how to pay for my 3DS preorder.  Or if I should preorder.

I just find it works for all intensive purposes.... =/

Um... that should be "all intents and purposes."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:59:50 AM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »

People think the 3DS is a battery hog? I can't wait to see what the battery life on this thing is going to be.

I'm wondering the same thing. Play an intensive game that pushes the PSP processor to 333mhz and you'll see how long it lasts with the normal battery. Tip: not much.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »

I'm wondering the same thing. Play an intensive game that pushes the PSP processor to 333mhz and you'll see how long it lasts with the normal battery. Tip: not much.

The battery life on my PSP slim has always been rather poor. It would only last about 4-6 hours before I had to charge again on low brightness settings with no wi-fi on. Plus, the battery would die if I didn't use the PSP for a long time. That would never happen with my DS Lite.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

I think the battery dies easy on the PSP because it seems to always go into a "standby" mode. The DS always shuts off properly.

Even when I go back to the home screen on PSP and then shut it off, then come back later and turn it on the menu and everything is in the same spot.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »

Uh...you know you need to hold the switch for a while to actually turn it off, right?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: