Author Topic: Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »
I understand the reason why there is no UMD support and thats fine but I was kinda hoping to use the PSP2 for backwards compatibility.  I'll most likely buy this thing if it comes with some hardcore games.  So, i'll end up keeping my original PSP then, thats fine by me :)

Now, I just hope if the 3G is not free, its not required to play certain games or whatever.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

ULTROS!

• People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 05:30:41 AM »
You can use WiFi.

Also, PSP2 is backwards compatible with the PSP games downloaded from the PSN Store.
"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
Well, here it is folks.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/27/sony_ngp_specs/

Looks very similar to the PSP.
"Oh, a hunter..."

ULTROS!

• People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 07:11:33 AM »
Also, the NGP/PSP2 has trophies.

Day one coz I luv trophies.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
Ouch...

No, literally. This isn't any worse than the PSP, however, my biggest gripe with the original PSP (even more so than the lack of second analog stick), is the absolutely unusability of the analog stick. Not because of it's design, as many people mistakenly point to, but because of it's placement. To be comfortable and accurate, you need to have the analog stick approximately one thumb-length away from the edge. The 360 accomplishes this by having the A-stick up above your hand, and the PS2/3 accomplishes this by having the A-stick inward. The 3DS may be a little close, but it's farther inward. On the PSP/PSP2, it's right by the edge, which just hurts.

Aside from that, pretty cool. I just got a PSP1, so this won't be on my list for a couple of years, if at all. I just feel like they're trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink into this thing. They did it with the PS3, and look how well that started off.

Banestar

• View Profile
    • My Staff Page
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 07:50:04 AM »
I love me some physical media - so as long as the flash cards come in sweet collectible boxes, I'll probably not care about the switch to UMD. The thing that's most interesting to me is that the previously-downloaded PSP games will be playable on this piece...it really makes it advantageous to switch over to buying at the PSN store.

I'm also interested in the 3G capabilities. Not that I'm sure how useful it would be...and I'm not keen on adding another $20-$30 bill to my collection.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
I'm not very interested in the PSP2 yet, or the NGP as Sony is calling it. Sure, it's a powerful handheld, but there's nothing really grabbing me yet. I'll get one eventually like I did with PSP.

As Prime Mover mentioned, the analog stick on the PSP was terrible. These ones don't seem like they're going to be that much different. The D-pad on the PSP wasn't very good either. I remember coming across a d-pad fix so it was more comfortable to play fighting games on the PSP.

There's already tons of comments saying "You lose Nintendo!". Doesn't Nintendo always lose in the hardware and specs department? They've never had the more powerful handheld. The games will decide who wins or loses, and with this generation it seems like most consoles end up being winners these days.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
PSP NGP will be sold in multiple SKUs: One with 3G, one without

Decisions, decisions.

That's not what this says.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/27/ngp_3g/

"Regarding 3G, the site was told that there's currently no plan to release a model without 3G. All models will include 3G support."
"Oh, a hunter..."

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »
Hm...

There was some kind of streaming of the conference? I just followed the conference on the liveblog by Sony and it was really poor in details, not to mention that blogs and sites all over the Internet started bumping info into my head that I didn't saw mentioned before. So, because of that I don't know what to believe anymore.

For all I care, the PSP2 can clean up my room and make lunch (that would be pretty useful though).

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »
Thus far, I think the PSP2 has a worse lineup than the 3DS.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about it nonetheless.  I guess.  Hopefully the price is nothing to extraordinary ridiculous. =(
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ULTROS!

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
I think I'll take Andrew House's word instead:

"The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G," House said.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »
Thus far, I think the PSP2 has a worse lineup than the 3DS.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about it nonetheless.  I guess.  Hopefully the price is nothing to extraordinary ridiculous. =(

I did not like what I read about the battery life. And the price must be around $300 or something along those lines, either way, I will not get one of these things after seeing a lot of good games and the system at a good price.

So yeah, is going to be cool to wait like 3 years to get this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:07:52 AM by Yggdrasil »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
Game reel from today's conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKsWSzAe5R4&hd=1&t=4m30s

Uncharted, Killzone, Wipeout, Resistance...

Damn, that doesn't seem like a direct port of the PS3 version, I want to play that Uncharted game!
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
Okay I have to admit

The PSP2 looks fucking RIDICULOUS

If its cheaper than the 3DS, FUCK Nintendo

I mean goddamn that thing is running PS3 games and they still look good. Amazing huge screen, fucking touch pads EVERYWHERE. my god