Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 05:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327395 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G  (Read 7463 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2011, 01:47:26 AM »

I hate how Ni no Kuni looks... (Backgrounds? Super.  Character?  Eh)

You take that back!

Wait, are you talking about the the DS or the PS3 version?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »

DS is DS.

PS3 of course.  It's standard cell shading.  I mean, given the technology can make really good looking CG human beings, the in-game graphics for the PS3 title to make it look like a Ghibli cartoon are an "ok" - but nothing shocking at all.

...more than that, I'm surprised release has been taking so long.  And what was the plan with a DS and PS3 release (I heard the former actually undersold expectations).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:48:05 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2011, 02:23:58 AM »

DS version's sales started out slowly, but picked up after people liked it/it got good reviews.. I think it's still holding its own instead of just dropping off the charts.

PS3..they still won't give a date. The footage (front page) is like the first we've seen the game in motion. Looks kinda nice. I'm with you though - I'm not crazy about the character designs but damn they have nice backgrounds.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

The character designs are pure Ghibli.  I mean, that was the entire point.  And I think they've achieved it admirably.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »

The character designs are pure Ghibli.  I mean, that was the entire point.  And I think they've achieved it admirably.

Again, I still say they're "good" not "great!".  
If PS3 can achieve such realistic humans, how much harder can it be to emulate a cartoon?  I actually think Naruto titles pulled off a more "cartoon-alike" look.
I looked at Ni no Kuni and they seem a bit cardboard too me.

...but, two each their own, I guess. =/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:23:58 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

The character designs are pure Ghibli.  I mean, that was the entire point.  And I think they've achieved it admirably.

Again, I still say they're "good" not "great!".  
If PS3 can achieve such realistic humans, how much harder can it be to emulate a cartoon?  I actually think Naruto titles pulled off a more "cartoon-alike" look.
I looked at Ni no Kuni and they seem a bit cardboard too me.

...but, two each their own, I guess. =/

That's their vision for this game Dice, regardless of what the hardware allows them to do that's how they want the game to look, I'm sure they tried all kinds of approaches to capture the look of the cartoon and in the end this is what felt right for them.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »

Developers seem to be very happy with it. Also some interesting details regarding Sony's strategy for the system:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »

2011 is killing my checking account already :(

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBnwIKSvR2Q

Playing Uncharted with those controls must be a pain in ass, especially in multiplayer. Looks so irritating and awkward.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »

I doubt it'll be like that in the full version, or at least it won't be required. I can't remember where, but I recall reading they kind of went nuts there to display what you COULD do with the new features. In practice I wouldn't be surprised if the most people wanted to use them for was weapon swapping or something.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »

It definitely won't be. PSP2 looks sick and is definitely a Day 1 for me, whereas it looks like I won't be getting the 3DS for quite a while.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »

NEITHER are day 1 for me, especially the NGP. I'm confident Nintendo will be successful enough with the 3DS that it'll get a steady stream of games I'd want to play, but I'm a bit more worried about the NGP. Maybe it's analysts that are being too negative or fixating too much on America and ignoring how it's doing in other parts of the world (well, mostly Japan), but I could see Sony losing their foothold entirely with this. Probably depends on the price and just how compelling/costly the software is.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:55 AM »

I'll buy the NGP day 1 if Kojima makes Snatcher 2 (it can happen) or a game in the same style. I'm still waiting to see more of his "1% complete game" he is making with Suda tough.

I also believe that Kojima Productions needs to say or show something about Zone of the Enders 3 this year or the next one. I'm pretty sure that a "Zone of the Enders HD Collection" would happen if they announce a new game, and you know you want that.

...and c'mon! Zone of the Enders 3 has been practically announce since 2007 if I remember correctly. Is now or never KP.

but I'm a bit more worried about the NGP. Maybe it's analysts that are being too negative or fixating too much on America and ignoring how it's doing in other parts of the world (well, mostly Japan), but I could see Sony losing their foothold entirely with this. Probably depends on the price and just how compelling/costly the software is.

Europe really likes the PlayStation brand and loves Gran Turismo. Sony just have to combine this two to get money from there (Latin America loves multiplayer shooters, football/soccer and casual games fyi).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:44:29 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »

(Latin America loves multiplayer shooters.

That's why I get so many Spanish tweets (spambots) about Black Ops.

I'm almost never a day 1 type person for any system, I pretty much always wait until the library is better built up or it has more than one must-have title. Plus it keeps my backlog from (temporarily) getting bigger.

Not to mention that I've learned from my death-by-Chrono-Chross-New-Game+ PSX (and from what I've seen with people's PS2s and PSPs) never to buy a first generation run of a Sony system.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 02:33:11 AM »

NEITHER are day 1 for me, especially the NGP. I'm confident Nintendo will be successful enough with the 3DS that it'll get a steady stream of games I'd want to play, but I'm a bit more worried about the NGP. Maybe it's analysts that are being too negative or fixating too much on America and ignoring how it's doing in other parts of the world (well, mostly Japan), but I could see Sony losing their foothold entirely with this. Probably depends on the price and just how compelling/costly the software is.

I don't know about that, it has Monster Hunter and Call of Duty.  East and West, check.

In all seriousness, from what I've heard third party support for the NGP should be pretty solid.  It seems like Sony has made more of an effort to reach out to Western developers and the system is supposed to be pretty easy to develop for.  All the comments (at least the public ones) developers have made so far have been quite positive.

Of course we still have no idea what the launch lineup will be.  But I don't really care about launch lineups...I don't think I've ever purchased a console at launch.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: