Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Nikkei: PSP2 this year, OLED Touchscreen, 3G  (Read 7376 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »

I can say if all things were equal I'd rather have a new PSP than a 3DS. Even if the analogs are in an awkward position I still want the control they provide in a game. Having one analog for the 3DS is a big game breaker... plus we've heard that the 3D effect is for real, but how well does it work really? I imagine if you have it too close or too far away it won't work right, same if you're not looking at the screen just right. Especially w/ a handheld it's hard to keep it at the same distance or position for long w/o having to readjust things.

Having an ultra sharp display like the NGP is much more sexy than some 3D thing that might end up giving me a headache.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »

$400 would be stupid and fucking suicide at retail. People are not going to pay that much for a console. $300 should be the max they sell it for.

People pay way more than that for smart phones, ipods and Ipads. Why wouldn't they pay $400 for a luxury like a gaming console?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »

$400 would be stupid and fucking suicide at retail. People are not going to pay that much for a console. $300 should be the max they sell it for.

People pay way more than that for smart phones, ipods and Ipads. Why wouldn't they pay $400 for a luxury like a gaming console?

Because Sony doesn't have the inexplicable grip on America's wallet that Apple does.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »

Because Sony doesn't have the inexplicable grip on America's wallet that Apple does.

It has it in Europe and Japan though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »

Day 1.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

Day 753 purchase!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/gamestop-taking-ngp-pre-orders-for-999/

Though obviously it will be nowhere near that.  Still hilarious to me.

Ive been wondering about getting myself a PSP to go along with my DSi at this time.  Its getting enough now that it seems fairly worth it, though I still feel the DS has the library advantage overall.  Guess for me that will also be the deciding factor for these two systems.  Ive got a PS3, I don't really need those graphics in a handheld, along with a bunch of other stuff I wont use since I usually play my handhelds at home anyways.  Then again im one of those people that doesn't have a smartphone either because a. I barely make any phone calls or text and b. I cant afford both the phone and the overpriced plans out there.  So far the 3DS has by far the better sounding library, but in either case both systems will be a wait and see for me.  Im still working on DS and PS3 games.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »

Serene Prophet: I'd wait on a PSP simply because a price drop is bound to happen sooner than later.

Anyways, they also said the system would be affordable, so I definitely don't expect it at $999.99, maybe not even $400. $300 or $350's my guess.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/gamestop-taking-ngp-pre-orders-for-999/

Though obviously it will be nowhere near that.  Still hilarious to me.

Ive been wondering about getting myself a PSP to go along with my DSi at this time.  Its getting enough now that it seems fairly worth it, though I still feel the DS has the library advantage overall.  Guess for me that will also be the deciding factor for these two systems.  Ive got a PS3, I don't really need those graphics in a handheld, along with a bunch of other stuff I wont use since I usually play my handhelds at home anyways.  Then again im one of those people that doesn't have a smartphone either because a. I barely make any phone calls or text and b. I cant afford both the phone and the overpriced plans out there.  So far the 3DS has by far the better sounding library, but in either case both systems will be a wait and see for me.  Im still working on DS and PS3 games.

I'd get a PSP no matter what kind of RPGs you like.

Eusis is right, wait for another price drop or get the PSP-2000 model since that (allegedly) has the best sound and screen. Not sure if that's true but that's the scuttlebutt I heard.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

My 2000 screen has developed dark spots, and most people who get used to (or never notice) the "interlacing" issue end up loving the 3000 screen. Just go for that at this point.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »

I don't think I'm going to get a next-gen handheld any time soon. The 3DS launch line-up isn't strong enough for a Day 1 purchase, and the NGP probably isn't coming out here for a year. They both look pretty nifty, and I have a feeling I will want to buy both of them eventually, but I've got a lot of games on my DS and PSP that I haven't finished and/or want to play.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »

Last I heard, OLEDs were expensive as fuck.  Even at a mass produced oled screen is bound to be expensive.

I'm certainly intrigued, but not much more than that.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »

Serene Prophet: I'd wait on a PSP simply because a price drop is bound to happen sooner than later.

Anyways, they also said the system would be affordable, so I definitely don't expect it at $999.99, maybe not even $400. $300 or $350's my guess.

I'm curious how they're gonna price it - if at all competitively against the 3DS.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »

I'd get a PSP no matter what kind of RPGs you like.

Can't say I agree. There are plenty of new sRPGs and action RPGs, but I'm really not finding many turn-based RPGs that are new and live up to expecations. I like my action RPGs and adventure games, of which there are a lot, so I'll probably be pretty happy. But the DS library has turned out to be much better, IMO.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

I dunno but I find the JRPG library in the DS pretty blah. My DS is a adventure-visual novel + Castlevania game machine.

The PSP is my JRPG machine (Falcom, Square Enix, Atlus).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: