Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341083 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Graces confirmed for NA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Print
Author Topic: Tales of Graces confirmed for NA  (Read 46822 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: December 10, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

A lot of compliments actually go by the way of Graces, especially in terms of battle system.  Xillia's is pretty fun and has you on your toes... but the game left a lot to be desired, especially as a Tales game.

Could you elaborate, please?  I didn't really pay much attention to Xillia's reception, I admit.

Is this another case of the dual-protagonist system making the game much worse than it should have been?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »

We talked about it in the Xillia thread.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: December 10, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »

A lot of compliments actually go by the way of Graces, especially in terms of battle system.  Xillia's is pretty fun and has you on your toes... but the game left a lot to be desired, especially as a Tales game.

Could you elaborate, please?  I didn't really pay much attention to Xillia's reception, I admit.

Is this another case of the dual-protagonist system making the game much worse than it should have been?

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=7924.330
Like Leyv said.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »

Not to be a hater, but I'm way more interested in Xillia... but I guess you gotta buy the eggs to get the omelette.

After some of the reception Xillia got and the fact a lot got left on the cutting board I'm not more interested in that. Certainly not without a Director's Cut coming along that comes closer to finishing the game.

Games always have things on the cutting board.  Always.  Other than "omg super hi ougi" shit that fanboys seem to care about for some reason, how do we know any of the other things cut out were even any good?  Yeah, Ashton said the game felt rushed, but chances are even if there IS a directors cut, the story part will be the same, no?

Xillia's is pretty fun and has you on your toes... but the game left a lot to be desired, especially as a Tales game.

Not trying to call you out, but you don't speak Japanese at all iirc, do you? If so, it's not really a surprise you would feel that way.  How much of the game have you played?  Unless you're playing it on a different PSN account, your game list doesn't even have Xillia even being played.  Just curious here.

Regardless, I can at least take credence to Ashton's complaints because he actually speaks Japanese.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:39:32 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »

There are things other than the extra hi ougi stuff, like the extra dungeon (which was basically 30 floors of completely reused assets),lack of any mini games or extras town, etc. it's almost like they ran up to a wall 3/4 of the way through development and NBGI just said, okay guys, wrap it up.

I know a lot of this sounds small, and individually they are, but added together it's a whole chunk of stuff that we're obviously scratching our heads at.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 10, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »

I'm glad it's coming to the US. Still playing Graces F (took a break from video games in general), but now when I go to GameFAQs there will be less people whining. Or they'll be whining about how it took 15 months to get from Japan to the US. Who knows.

Who are you kidding, those that want to be the most indignant are going to be using the WII release date. Thus, 27 months I think, which... holy fuck, that honestly is kind of unreasonable, isn't it? Though almost half of that is for getting an upgraded version, so it balances out easily.
Games always have things on the cutting board.  Always.  Other than "omg super hi ougi" shit that fanboys seem to care about for some reason, how do we know any of the other things cut out were even any good?  Yeah, Ashton said the game felt rushed, but chances are even if there IS a directors cut, the story part will be the same, no?

What Ashton said basically, it doesn't sound like the stuff Vesperia cut and had added to the PS3 version, this sounds more like a general hacking at traditional aspects that they would've been there if they just had more time.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: December 10, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »

Xillia's is pretty fun and has you on your toes... but the game left a lot to be desired, especially as a Tales game.

Not trying to call you out, but you don't speak Japanese at all iirc, do you? If so, it's not really a surprise you would feel that way.  How much of the game have you played?  Unless you're playing it on a different PSN account, your game list doesn't even have Xillia even being played.  Just curious here.

Regardless, I can at least take credence to Ashton's complaints because he actually speaks Japanese.

You missed the point Leyv and I made in the Xillia topic.  I can forsake a story any day (I like SO4 for goodness sake).  But I hated the fact it skipped out on staples of the series, ones that have been in every other title (minigames, costumes, sidequests, secret bosses, bonus dungeons, a Sword Dancer, cameo battles).  Hi Ougi's is one thing, hey we got some, but no matter how you spin it -- compared to other titles, the amount of effort put into this one was a STEP BACK.  That's what makes this a title you can hold off till the (IMO inevitable) Director's Cut. 

For battle system stuff, you don't need to know much Japanese, hell, most of it IS English just written in Japanese.
I didn't appreciate that comment. >=/
I miss story deets and [Japanese] character... quirks... whatever... x(
Besides, it doesn't take a genius to figure out Jude is a pussy-whipped pansy ass.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »

Hey, Jude is awesome. Don't make me come over there.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »

Srsly.  When I can't use Mira, I use Jude.  I can't think of any Tales series character who fought with his fists and didn't feel clunky (I thought Regal felt clunky at least).  There's a couple Tales I never played so there might be one I just don't know about. 

I did see the Xillia posts, but outside of bonus dungeons and bosses, the other things are kinda superficial imo. 

Costumes are nice, but I kinda feel like costumes are going the way of DLC only.  I guess I wouldn't mind those returning, but I have a feeling they won't unless it's DLC. Does Graces F have non-DLC costumes? 

For battle system stuff, you don't need to know much Japanese, hell, most of it IS English just written in Japanese

Still, unless you're looking at a guide, a lot of the link art quirks will fall on deaf ears.  They do visual tutorials to help people out though, which might help some.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:29:09 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »

Srsly.  When I can't use Mira, I use Jude.  I can't think of any Tales series character who fought with his fists and didn't feel clunky (I thought Regal felt clunky at least).  There's a couple Tales I never played so there might be one I just don't know about. 

Don't get me wrong there, I loved using Senel when it ToL came around, I thought it was a great change of pace. :D
Jude was a great fighter, but I hated him as a character.
"Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character" - The Wolf

I did see the Xillia posts, but outside of bonus dungeons and bosses, the other things are kinda superficial imo. 

Superficial, maybe.  But it sucks that it's absent anyways.  It's the little stuff like that can take the heart away from a game.  I don't know, say an FF game with the Choco's or even the superboss.  It's not like Tales game really change up their formula, so I don't understand why it's missing.  I'm not gonna *die* without it, but all the same it's kind of disappointing if these are deliberate absentees to further validate a Director's Cut release down the road.

For battle system stuff, you don't need to know much Japanese, hell, most of it IS English just written in Japanese

Still, unless you're looking at a guide, a lot of the link art quirks will fall on deaf ears.  They do visual tutorials to help people out though, which might help some.

For the most part, you'd be right.  But the import Tales community is strong and (fortunately) dedicated and [somewhat] friendly to make wiki's and FAQs for any other lingering issues I had (otherwise, I probably wouldn't have imported).  Kouli also posted a brief guide that dot-to-dot's what to do next should you get lost.  I was good and learned some stuff along the way. :D

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: