Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340860 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Graces confirmed for NA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Graces confirmed for NA  (Read 46763 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »

Speaking of Graces. This is probably the Team Destiny's 2nd game to ever be localized (does Tales of Eternia count? If so, then 3rd).
Neither count, Kazuya Ishizuka started doing game design with Destiny 2. This will be the first Team Destiny game we'll be getting since Hometek/Sony hated 2D last gen.

Hometek, undoubtedly. Atelier Iris came out in 2005 in the US while Rebirth came out in late 2004. Even if Destiny 2 were out of luck they could've tried to get Rebirth approved, hot off the success of Symphonia and with a less impressive 2D game already announced, but apparently they decided to pass instead.

I imagine Destiny 2 was passed on because the first one failed anyway, and setting the names right could've been a pain.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »

I didnt think Destiny 2 was a "big ticket" item to bring here, given the skeptical release of these games. Destiny R was the big one, and I heard (HEARD) that was an option for localization, but they instead went with Vesperia which came out around the same time.

I just Xillia by this point.  Anyone else not too keen on the Graces cast?  Especially appearance wise.  bleh... why the keep using Inomata for something other than a dating sim is beyond me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

I didnt think Destiny 2 was a "big ticket" item to bring here, given the skeptical release of these games. Destiny R was the big one, and I heard (HEARD) that was an option for localization, but they instead went with Vesperia which came out around the same time.

I just Xillia by this point.  Anyone else not too keen on the Graces cast?  Especially appearance wise.  bleh... why the keep using Inomata for something other than a dating sim is beyond me.

While I definitely prefer Fujishima, I don't hate Inomata's design for Mira Maxwell. Outside of the "bangs," I like her big hair. And I agree about the Graces cast, I'm just not digging their looks. That being said, I will still probably buy Tales of Graces F if it comes out over here.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »

Haha of course - I won't neglect a title for it's bad outfits.

Fun observation though:

No? A little bit?

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »

I just have to say, if this doesn't do well, Tales fans only have themselves to blame for future Tales not coming over.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »

I just have to say, if this doesn't do well, Tales fans only have themselves to blame for future Tales not coming over.

I dunno about that, that sounds more like if they don't buy the game over a retarded hang up, then turn around and get angry when more don't come out. If those that wanted it bought it and it STILL failed to sell enough then you can't really blame anything but the fact not enough of the market shares your tastes.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »

I dunno about that, that sounds more like if they don't buy the game over a retarded hang up, then turn around and get angry when more don't come out. If those that wanted it bought it and it STILL failed to sell enough then you can't really blame anything but the fact not enough of the market shares your tastes.

I think that's the general problem in the first place.  I'm not too sure how many units they're expecting to sell (hell, it seems NISA doesn't expect more than 10k on a few of their releases), but something is messed up if the budget for producing these titles is that high to warrant such cautious releases.  People like RPGs and Tales.  But how do you beat out the mass-multiplayer (and especially as of late) shooter-genres that take a large majority of the American audience?  The fact may simply be that it's just generally a more popular game format than the wide-eyed RPG heroes.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:53 AM »

grape
"2.2.2011" is probably announcement date
I'm guessing banana is gonna be next.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »

I think that's the general problem in the first place.  I'm not too sure how many units they're expecting to sell (hell, it seems NISA doesn't expect more than 10k on a few of their releases), but something is messed up if the budget for producing these titles is that high to warrant such cautious releases.  People like RPGs and Tales.  But how do you beat out the mass-multiplayer (and especially as of late) shooter-genres that take a large majority of the American audience?  The fact may simply be that it's just generally a more popular game format than the wide-eyed RPG heroes.

It's not so much that Tales games don't sell here as it is that they don't sell as many copies as Namco Bandai wants them to.  Namco Bandai just doesn't want to play in the same kind of space that NISA does.  NISA knows how to do things cheap and eek out a profit out of games that don't sell much.  Still, it's not much of a profit and to a much larger company like Namco Bandai they probably don't see that sort of approach even being worth their time.  Yet Tales is a big franchise (in Japan, anyway) and they don't want to dilute their brand by letting a third party handle the localization.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »

We should try and ask them to lower their expectations about how much the want to sell...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

I'd like to see some numbers. We really have NO IDEA how much it costs to localize a game like that. With Skits? Without Skits? Only cutscenes (no in-game voice)? No Voiceover at all?

I'd be willing to bet (but maybe my assuptions aren't right), that if they sold the game with NO VOICE ACTING at all, it wouldn't lose them that many sales. In fact, voice acting is a double-edged sword. If you have it, people are going to judge it on quality, if you don't have it, people will give you the benefit of the doubt for not having it. So, the cost of selling a game stateside goes down because you cut out a large chunk of the update cost. But selling a game to a different region costs a whole lot more than just localizing and re-voicing. There's re-printing, packaging, instruction book design, marketing, ESRB rating, shipping, a whole lot of new costs, and a whole lot more work.

All in all, though, I'm willing to bet that since 95% of the work is done before they even start a localization project, that it would make a profit. Then what's keeping them from doing it? If all of this is the case, than we can just point to laziness. But we really can't say that yet, because maybe there are some ligitimate financial reasons for not bothering to localize a game. They're a business, they'll jump at any chance to make a few pennies.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »

They should save them themselves a ton of money and not get English voice actors. I seriously doubt that would stop anyone from buying it and would surely save a lot.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »

They should save them themselves a ton of money and not get English voice actors. I seriously doubt that would stop anyone from buying it and would surely save a lot.

I was going to say the same thing.  I wonder what kind of impact, if any, that would have on sales?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »

I'd be one of the ones who wouldn't buy it. While I appreciated having the Japanese language track as an option sometimes; if I wanted to listen to Japanese I'd have bought a Japanese game.

Not to mention it's nice to sometimes leave the room during cut scenes to get a drink or let the dogs out real quick and not miss much due to still being able to hear the dialog without having to pause or anything.

Also sometimes it's rather annoying to be reading something while hearing something else spoken aloud; it can cause issues for people who multi-task/focus far easier than they can focus on a single thing.

And other small issues like those. Not having an English track is pretty much death by a thousand cuts to a game for me.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »

I'd like to see some numbers. We really have NO IDEA how much it costs to localize a game like that. With Skits? Without Skits? Only cutscenes (no in-game voice)? No Voiceover at all?

We were talking relative to other games in the same genre, not absolute numbers, so I don't see your point.  Do you really think the cost of localizing a Tales game is inherently that different from NISA localizing a Gust game?

I'd be willing to bet (but maybe my assuptions aren't right), that if they sold the game with NO VOICE ACTING at all, it wouldn't lose them that many sales. In fact, voice acting is a double-edged sword. If you have it, people are going to judge it on quality, if you don't have it, people will give you the benefit of the doubt for not having it.

First of all, SCEA really frowns on that sort of thing so they would have a hard time even being allowed to sell it.

Second of all, other than cost how is it a 'double-edged sword'?  At least on the PS3 there is no good reason not to include both vocal tracks since there is plenty of space (though some companies neglect to do it anyway, grr....).

So, the cost of selling a game stateside goes down because you cut out a large chunk of the update cost. But selling a game to a different region costs a whole lot more than just localizing and re-voicing. There's re-printing, packaging, instruction book design, marketing, ESRB rating, shipping, a whole lot of new costs, and a whole lot more work.

For whatever reason, dubs are more popular.  Look at ZeronHitaro.  Any additional cost from doing the voice acting tends to be made up for by better sales.

All in all, though, I'm willing to bet that since 95% of the work is done before they even start a localization project, that it would make a profit. Then what's keeping them from doing it? If all of this is the case, than we can just point to laziness. But we really can't say that yet, because maybe there are some ligitimate financial reasons for not bothering to localize a game. They're a business, they'll jump at any chance to make a few pennies.

I don't see how you're getting this 95% number...

And I already explained why they're reluctant to do it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: