Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2015, 03:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349362 Posts in 14249 Topics by 2245 Members
Latest Member: Xanxos
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 340329 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: March 18, 2015, 03:04:50 AM »

Recently finished Yamato 2199. Good series, even if it couldn't quite separate itself with the old archaic original version. The one thing I was sad to see was that they never lost the Third Bridge (which was a great reference for the OG Battleship to make in the SRW series). At least the way they repurposed some of the filler episodes like the Dinosaur Planet one was pretty neat (especially since they put Analyzer in a giant robot). Looking forward to seeing the movie once that comes out later this year/early next year.

As for other things I've been watching, Gigantic Formula. Holy Christ is Gigantic Formula one of the most boring ass animes I've seen in a long goddamn time (like Bobobo after getting over the initial 'shock and awe' levels of boring). Its just one big goddamn Tournament Arc, but its one of those godawful Tournament Arcs that plague Shonen anime where a bunch of one-time mooks show up to pad the arc with useless melodrama who get in the way of the series protagonist duking it out with the one or two actual badguys antagonizing them for the arc, while the rest of the series comes to a screeching halt (except in this case there isn't even a 'rest of the series'). And the fact that there isn't anything beyond the Tournament Arc means that the outcome is a foregone conclusion (good guys win), which means there's no real tension. This could've been a three part OVA and maybe have been inoffensive enough to be vaguely memorable, but 26 goddamn episodes of this useless shit is way too fucking much. If it weren't for the Swano soundtrack, and the fact that Team America (i.e. the second antagonist team, Russia's the first) has an amazing looking giant robot, I would've dropped this like shit in a can.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »

I haven't really watched much - mostly just load up videos only to lose interest mid-way through the opening song...but I did get in a few episodes of Gintama last night. Maybe there's hope for some more? Not sure...

EDIT: Probably not, since I'm gonna take another crack at Fang of the Sun Dougram and hopefully finish it this time. 75 episodes doesn't seem so intimidating anymore after years of Shounen anime. =P

EDIT 2: I started rewatching Fang of the Sun Dougram. I was greatly enjoying it 3 years ago, but halfway through, Wikipedia spoiled the entire latter half of the anime, including the ending, so I had to wait until I forgot it all before I could go back to it. Now I've forgotten the whole first half of the show...but now I get to experience it all over again, which is great, since it's a great show. The first episode is still jarring as hell, though - it's one of those rare pilot episodes, where they want to get right to the action so they fast forward to a latter part of the plot without actually introducing any of these characters or their motivations...or really anything other than a lot of melodrama and military action. They didn't even establish the setting - I didn't even know this was taking place on another planet until episode 2. In fact, I spent the whole episode thinking it was a misnumbered episode 10 (in fact, I still do, we'll see when we get there whether or not that's the case), especially since episode 2 could've easily been episode 1. Oh well, I guess they would've had to do it that way to get the attention of the kids shows like this was still aimed at (it was made in 1981, when Mecha was just becoming a thing), since the next couple episodes were slower paced and story oriented.

I do love it, though. The story seems very well-written. There's a lot of grounded political and social discussion going on, in between the usual military strategizing. The main theme seems to be the importance of truth and communication - both how it can be hidden or manipulated, but also how misunderstandings can lead to some major problems, and perhaps how simply knowing and/or accepting the truth can lead to better things. Granted, I'm mostly getting this from what little I've seen and/or remember, however, the tagline at the end of every episode so far has been "Not Justice, I want to get Truth", so maybe I'm not too far off the mark. :P

The main character, Crinn, does act rash and usually barely survives because of his foolishness, but IIRC, that's kind of a big part of the theme of the show, and he'll mature as things progress and he gets a sense of the bigger picture. He's kinda like Zeta Gundam's Kamille in that regard, but unlike Kamille, the show tries to make it clear that his actions often have positive and negative consequences, and the negatives usually catch up to him.

The setting's still weird, though. This is obviously a Terraformed planet, since it could very well be Earth most of the time. The X-Nebula and Binary stars seem to be the only reason to set it in space, since they both have unusual effects that limit long-range combat, especially guided missiles, thus making the perfect excuse to utilize giant robots. Yet thankfully, this show never actually makes the robots the "superior" weapons. They're simply a large component of the military. Even in the first episode, the Dougram arguably has more to fear from the helicopters than the other mechs, who are dispatched with punches and even a soldier armed with a bazooka. And the Dougram doesn't appear again until episode 9 - in the meantime, our protagonist, who is military trained, utilizes a variety of weapons and tactics to get the upper hand.

...wow, I don't remember the last time I had so much to say about a show, especially after only 4 episodes (though I do seem to remember more than I thought). That's pretty refreshing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:24:39 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3197 on: March 20, 2015, 01:25:09 AM »

It's that time of a quarter of the year again!

http://static.neregate.com/2015/03/neregate.com-Spring-2015-Anime-Chart-v2.jpg

Okay, let's see what we have here...

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken Season 2
Season one was the best sub-five-minute anime I've seen.
I really liked the last episode of S1 too.

More Haruhi
Is this still a thing?

Mahou Soujo Lyrical Nanoha: Vivid
I'm a big Nanoha fan and that's why I'll say: stay the fuck away from this.

Denpa Kyoushi
Descent manga but kinda got boring after a while. Kinda like Hayate no Gotoku.

Owari no Seraph
If you like teenage drama, vampires and twilight, this thing is for you.

Nisekoi
blah...

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Ok, finally I can say something nice again.
This is a pretty interesting manga and I'll watch it for sure.

Unlimited Blade Works S2
Fuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

Digimon Adventures Tri
I have no idea what to expect here. I'm hoping it's good.
I mean, I did like S1 and S2 when I was like... 14 ?

Overall, it seriously feels like they just took a lot of C-tier mangas and gave them anime.

As for movies:
- Another Precure (the movies are usually pretty good)
- Persona 3 part 3
- A DBZ movie where Frieza gets revived by Oolong and trains for 4 months and becomes a threat... lolwhat?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:29:52 AM by Annubis » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3198 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »

In order of hype:

1) DBZ Movie!!!!

2) Arslan Senki - I checked a bit of the manga it's based on (which in turn is based on a novel) and it seems to play up the writer's strengths [who had previously done Fullmetal Alchemist and Silver Spoon], so I'm all for this.

3) Blood Blockade Battlefront - The trailers seem extremely cool and I know the writer of the manga (who also wrote Trigun) was up to snuff. Here's hoping it delivers.

4) Ninja Slayer From Animation - It looks and sounds really neat and Studio Trigger's working on it. Hopefully I'll like it more than Kill La Kill, considering it's supposed to be a homage to hyperviolent anime of the 90's I indulged in a few years ago.

5) Sidonia Season 2 - Been waiting too long to finish this series!

6) Digimon Adventure Tri - I wanna get digital. ;_;

7) Punchline - I'm pretty much guaranteed to get sick of this show after an episode or two, but I'll try it anyways. Seems like it'd be a nice guilty pleasure, at least.

Also, more Gintama is great, but I'm too damn far behind...

Also, the Third Code Geass Akito movie/episode's on it's way! I doubt the DVD will be out this season, though, so I have time to watch the second episode I didn't even know released...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:02:37 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3199 on: March 20, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »

DIGIMON MOTHATRUCKARS!

Hey, at least it's going to have Butterfly and Brave Heart.

Maybe I'll pick up Vivid and Gintama. I'm up to par with Souma manga and it's fun enough, but I'm not sure if I actually feel hyped watching the adaption right now. Well, two or three ongoings is already more than enough to keep my busy and the last time in the past 6 years when I actually wanted to watch something was Mushishi s2.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3200 on: March 20, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »

Recently watched End of Evangelion again. The ending's a lot happier than I remember.

Code:
I was under the impression that Shinji choked Asuka to death for some reason, and that everyone was dead instead of just kind of disembodied. The only character in the movie that seems to be legits dead is Gendo.

Anyway I liked it way more than when I watched it 10 years ago.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: March 20, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »

Ahahahahaha....ahahahaha!

So somebody thinks they can animate Rin-ne. Lol. They'll be at it for the next decade if they decide to cover the entire thing (I assume since I immediately dropped it the moment I concluded that its just Inuyasha all over again).

Meanwhile, I have no idea whether Triage X will follow its successor/predecessor Highschool of the Dead in terms of camp, or being rendered trapped in indefinite hiatus.

I guess its Arslan and Ninja Slayer for me.

Maybe I'll pick up Vivid

I'm going to strongly advise against this course of action.

I have zero faith that this will tone down the loli-creep factor at all from the almost straight up 'getting put on a watchlist' levels of nudity and male gaze that the Manga employs on a regular basis. It's along the lines of this: http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040813, but the other way around (for some characters, others don't even bother with that).

I kinda wish they'd do Force instead, but that's halfway to becoming ejected from canon altogether at this point, not to mention the fact that its currently stuck in hiatus hell. If it weren't for the movies or the games, this series would be dead and forsaken by now. :(

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: March 21, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »

Forget about the creepiness, the plot is just bad.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: March 21, 2015, 02:37:57 AM »

Forget about the creepiness, the plot is just bad.

What plot?

I just assumed it was some occasional Lore Babble thrown in with the various Hot Springs or Tournament Arc episodes (because anime/manga can't not have a Hot-Springs/Summer Beach episode). Hell, the only reason why it isn't set in a Japanese High School is because it stars a bunch of Grade Schoolers (not that it stops the writer &| artist from writing it like Girls Bravo, Negima or HSDK).

Though I will admit that Force's plot is bad, but at least it has one.

Actually, I should probably amend my statement in my last post, in that the CCG spinoff should've been the one to get an anime adaption (if for no other reason than to see Prescia Tessarossa (assuming that's how you spell her name) mama bear the heck out over her kids).

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: March 21, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »

The rumors about Aldnoah Zero are most likely true.
Season 2 was super slow because they are either planning season 3 or a movie.

It's Code Geass all over again =/
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: March 21, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »

I'm hoping for a Movie, Personally.

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: