Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2015, 01:07:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363149 Posts in 14708 Topics by 2301 Members
Latest Member: FrustratedLeadingTone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  TV shows axed too soon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: TV shows axed too soon  (Read 2351 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 05:50:57 AM »

Police Squad!

The Naked Gun movies were good.....but the series was great.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

I agree, that was a great show - absolutely worth watching if you haven't seen it, folks.  But actually watch it, rather than listening to it while looking at something else.  Lots of visual jokes, which is why Leslie Nielsen thought it did better in the movie theater than on TV.

I can't believe I forgot to post this earlier - an interview with the creators of Reaper that tells how the show would have ended if they'd gotten more time.  The actual ending is on page 2, but the first page has some good stuff as well, so that's what I linked to.

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2010/02/01/how-reaper-would-have-ended-straight-from-the-creators/

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »

I'd say Warehouse 13 was axed too soon because that show should have had 10 seasons or so....actually I am probably fine with how long it lasted as I recognize that shows do have limited lives. I do however wish its last season was a full season so it could have had more time to develop the last plot line.

Also I was reading the production history of Star Trek the Original Series earlier in the week and it seems that it was cancelled prematurely also. Heck it seems it was effectively killed by execs who put it in a bad time slot for its demographic during season 3 (reducing its budget in the process due to lower ad costs during that time slot).
glassjawsh
The One True Shitlord

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

I agree, that was a great show - absolutely worth watching if you haven't seen it, folks.  But actually watch it, rather than listening to it while looking at something else.  Lots of visual jokes, which is why Leslie Nielsen thought it did better in the movie theater than on TV.

I can't believe I forgot to post this earlier - an interview with the creators of Reaper that tells how the show would have ended if they'd gotten more time.  The actual ending is on page 2, but the first page has some good stuff as well, so that's what I linked to.

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2010/02/01/how-reaper-would-have-ended-straight-from-the-creators/

OF COURSE! That makes so much freaking sense, I hate myself for not realizing it while the show was still on the air.

Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 03:14:56 PM »

I'd say Warehouse 13 was axed too soon because that show should have had 10 seasons or so....actually I am probably fine with how long it lasted as I recognize that shows do have limited lives. I do however wish its last season was a full season so it could have had more time to develop the last plot line.

I truly hated that they put those two together in the end, though.  They were never supposed to be a will they won't they pairing.  They were best buddies who weren't attracted to each other, and that's what made them great.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »

Another cartoon that I felt was too short-lived was Dave the Barbarian.  I thought that show was hilarious and is one of my favorite Disney television cartoon series.  It only lasted 1 season. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »

Dollhouse.

The Finder. I loved this show. I am not sure why. Probably the main actor. He amuses me..

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 12:03:56 AM »

I just read that The Bridge (FX) was cancelled, and I hadn't seen any of it but I'd read good things about it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 03:07:44 AM »

Another cartoon that I felt was too short-lived was Dave the Barbarian.  I thought that show was hilarious and is one of my favorite Disney television cartoon series.  It only lasted 1 season. 

IIRC, this really didn't bring enough to the table to really warrant more than a second season. I can think of a dozen better shows to give out an extra season to before I'd even consider this one.

Now had you said Super Dave, I would've gotten behind that.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Towns Car Marty
Contributing Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:09 AM »

How about Carnivàle? That ended on one hell of a cliffhanger. But I kinda liked that about it, it could be considered to be the ultimate bad ending.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:28:41 AM by Towns Car Marty » Logged

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

IIRC, this really didn't bring enough to the table to really warrant more than a second season. I can think of a dozen better shows to give out an extra season to before I'd even consider this one.

I respectfully disagree.  Dave the Barbarian easily had the potential to evolve beyond it's very sitcom-y first season.  I feel like it could have gone like Adventure Time did.  The first season of Adventure Time was goofbally sitcom-ish, but then it evolved and later seasons are rather good with involved and even continuous plotlines and everything. 

That being said, I would easily take another season of nu He-Man and nu Thundercats before a new season of Dave the Barbarian. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »

Most recent one I can think of, for me, was the wildly-unpopular sitcom "Selfie" starring John Cho and Karen Gillan.  After a decade of not being able to stomach sitcoms, my wife and I found one that we didn't just like: we loved it.  Cho and Gillan were just......... just unbelievably good together.

But it was poorly marketed and nobody understood it.  And all the sci-fi fans of Cho and Gillan apparently felt like the leap from Doctor Who and Star Trek to a silly romcom was just too much.  But if you can find it's one half-season online somewhere, it's worth it.  Makes other sitcoms look like crap.

Current RPG - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  Dave the Barbarian easily had the potential to evolve beyond it's very sitcom-y first season.  I feel like it could have gone like Adventure Time did.  The first season of Adventure Time was goofbally sitcom-ish, but then it evolved and later seasons are rather good with involved and even continuous plotlines and everything. 

That being said, I would easily take another season of nu He-Man and nu Thundercats before a new season of Dave the Barbarian. 

Yeah, I feel like Adventure Time only worked due to the specific elements that it had coming together in the way that it did (and given the fact that its having trouble keeping it going isn't helping matters either). DtB would've needed a lot more than just 'be like Adventure Time' to have worked, especially in the time it came out in (since video game references/nostalgia wasn't quite the gold mine that it is today).

Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »

I agree that Hannibal was brilliant. I remember three or so episodes into the show having the thought 'This is so good there's no way it makes it.' It's too cerebral to catch a wide enough audience. I felt the beginning of the current season started to drag a little (especially since the season 2 finale was so frenetic and powerful) but it has started to pick up. For awhile I almost thought they should have just ended it with two. But the Red Dragon arc is excellent.

As a child, I really loved Pirates of Dark Water. I've been thinking of buying the series on Amazon. But I'm a little afraid I will watch it and not like it. That would destroy a little bit of my childhood.  
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »

I agree that Hannibal was brilliant. I remember three or so episodes into the show having the thought 'This is so good there's no way it makes it.' It's too cerebral to catch a wide enough audience. I felt the beginning of the current season started to drag a little (especially since the season 2 finale was so frenetic and powerful) but it has started to pick up. For awhile I almost thought they should have just ended it with two. But the Red Dragon arc is excellent.

As a child, I really loved Pirates of Dark Water. I've been thinking of buying the series on Amazon. But I'm a little afraid I will watch it and not like it. That would destroy a little bit of my childhood.  

If anything, you're going to watch it, watch the show get up to the Ninth Treasure, and then wish you hadn't reminded yourself that they will never get the remaining four Treasures, fix Ren's Sword or save the day.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: