Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2016, 04:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248462 Posts in 7448 Topics by 2390 Members
Latest Member: maingauche
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 663030 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

RPGFan and Dice forever...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4755 on: September 12, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »

I recently saw The Nice Guys, a buddy cop/film noir set in the '70s starring Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe.  It was decent - I was surprised that Crowe was the more likable character.

Saw it too!

I've definitely enjoyed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys on their own more than the entire Lethal Weapon Series (all having writer Shane Black in common).  I also really liked Holly a lot, she was a perfect "Penny" to Gosling's bumbling, accident-prone, happy-go-lucky Inspector Gadget (also, how many times did the dude "interact" with windows in that film?).  The main cast was great, the dialogue was witty, and while the film takes some time to get going, I'm a sucker for a good mystery.

Also grabbing Kim Bassinger was a nice touch, and the visual homage to Gladiator was a little brilliant. :P

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:35:33 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: September 12, 2016, 12:57:46 AM »

Hah! That is a perfect description of the two of them.  Penny and Gadget.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4757 on: September 12, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »

I really LIKED Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when I first saw it, but upon rewatching it years later there are a few too many dated and cringe worthy comments that range from "maybe I'm just being to sensitive" to "holy shit that was homophobic"

Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »

I just watched Green Room - Anton Yelchin and pals try to escape from a skinhead bar after witnessing a murder, featuring Patrick Stewart as the head of the villains. He's a weird choice, and I don't know what accent he's going for, but I always love him.  It's a fairly intense movie, and well made, but I probably won't watch it again.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Hathen
You think this would be funny?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4759 on: September 17, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »

I was on a few plane trips so I got to watch a couple movies (and get some really low-quality sleep).

TMNT: Out of the Shadows - I thought it was a harmless kid's movie. It was like watching an extended episode of the cartoon so on that level I'd say it was a success. Still can't get used to Megan Fox being April O'Neil though.

The Jungle Book - This was a good kid's movie.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Never got around to watching this so it was nice to get the opportunity. This was a great kid's movie.

X-Men: Apocalypse - Pretty much what I expected. Apocalypse is just too much of a comic book character to take particularly seriously for me. Honestly I almost forgot I even watched this movie. Most comic book movies are just blending together into a huge mass for me these days.

Theory of Everything - I gotta meet my quota of artsy drama films so I can appear cultured. Fortunately for me, I thought this was a really good one.
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: September 17, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »

Glad to hear Jungle Book wasn't horrible. It's sitting next to my TV to be watched soon.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4761 on: September 18, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

I really LIKED Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when I first saw it, but upon rewatching it years later there are a few too many dated and cringe worthy comments that range from "maybe I'm just being to sensitive" to "holy shit that was homophobic"

Yeah that was pretty much my feeling as well.

It was one of those movies that cleverly referenced things like LGBT in a way so as to make you believe it was handling it all well, by virtue of all the cleverness, and has a lot of good will. Kind of like, Get Shorty or something or maybe even the early portion of Entourage.

But then at some point it sort of became clear this chummy gee friendliness wasn't really adequate... of course most of the movie is still just pretty charming and silly.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4762 on: September 18, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »

Capt' America: CIVIL WAR!

Very entertaining even if I thought that
Code:
Spider Man's inclusion scene was a little drawn out and awkward since Black Panther had better integration for very much the same thing.
Also, its finally feeling full on comic book writing instead of Movie version-ified like most comic book movies tend to (which is both good and bad as it's its own thing).

Also also,
Code:
a bad day for team Agent Carter all around.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: September 18, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »

I just watched Green Room - Anton Yelchin and pals try to escape from a skinhead bar after witnessing a murder, featuring Patrick Stewart as the head of the villains. He's a weird choice, and I don't know what accent he's going for, but I always love him.  It's a fairly intense movie, and well made, but I probably won't watch it again.

I am 41 years old, and this movie legitimately gave me nightmares last night.  I'm removing "probably" from the sentence above. :)

I can't say you're wrong, Aeolus, but
Code:
Spider-Man's characterization was flawless, which was nice to see. I also liked the interaction between Tony Stark and Aunt May, because they're actually the same age, which is rare for a flirty couple in a movie, and I seem to remember that they dated in real life for a bit when they were younger.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:45:29 AM by Tooker » Logged

—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4764 on: September 18, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

I just watched Green Room - Anton Yelchin and pals try to escape from a skinhead bar after witnessing a murder, featuring Patrick Stewart as the head of the villains. He's a weird choice, and I don't know what accent he's going for, but I always love him.  It's a fairly intense movie, and well made, but I probably won't watch it again.

I am 41 years old, and this movie legitimately gave me nightmares last night.  I'm removing "probably" from the sentence above. :)

I can't say you're wrong, Aeolus, but
Code:
Spider-Man's characterization was flawless, which was nice to see. I also liked the interaction between Tony Stark and Aunt May, because they're actually the same age, which is rare for a flirty couple in a movie, and I seem to remember that they dated in real life for a bit when they were younger.

The scene itself is good and funny, but it felt too long for all the other things going on during the movie, and it and the throwdown are all he really gets compared to the other newcomer.
Code:
At least they got the webbing part right this time.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4765 on: September 19, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

I, too, just saw Civil War for the first time this weekend.  It's like we watched it together, Aeolus!  But... unless you're my mom or stepdad, probably not.

I went in assuming Black Panther would be totally lame, but it turns out that he was not totally lame and in fact pretty darn cool and fun to watch.  Also, the final showdown between Iron Man and Captain Self-Righteous did not disappoint, at all.

Current RPG - Valkyria Chronicles
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4766 on: September 21, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

Recently Saw The Nice Guys as well. Like others here, I enjoyed it. Feels much shorter than it's 2 hour(ish) run time. Terrific cast, and some nice twists. I've always liked seeing Gosling do comedic stuff. He's got more of a knack for it than he usually lets on. I'm with Dice in that I really liked how Holly became a central character, instead of the annoying helpless daughter type (I'm at looking at you, Dakota Fanning in WotW). I'm currently watching White Collar, so it was very interesting to see Matt Bomer in his role.  I don't know if Basinger has had work done, but I would not say that she has aged well. She looks like some sort of alien hiding in woman-skin (kinda like the first MiB). I would never have guessed that the kid who played Chet is Val Kilmer's son.
I have to admit though, that as far as Shane Black films go, I enjoyed KKBB more. I think that's mainly because Kilmer and Downey Jr have/had really good on-screen chemistry, and the dialogue seemed wittier.

I'm looking forward to watching Age of Ultron and Cap: CW this weekend, hopefully. Haven't seen either yet. I initially wasn't even going to bother with the prior, but apparently events in that film lead up to CW, so there ya go.

Still can't get used to Megan Fox being April O'Neil though.

She couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. She's just... terrible. I wonder if her jaw ever hurts from her... auditions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:17:02 AM by natros » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4767 on: September 24, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »

London is Falling: "We're not just one man!" shouted the one man army.

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: