Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4680 on: October 30, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
I don't put much faith in synopses in the first place...what drives my interest is mainly characters and writing.  Having an interesting hook is fine but I've seen plenty of shows with good ideas go down in flames thanks to poor execution.  On the other hand strong writing and characters can keep my interest even if there isn't much of an overarching plot.

Let's take a non-anime example: Seinfeld--arguably the greatest sitcom of all time--was in its own words a show about nothing.  Any synopsis of that show is going to sound really boring, yet it's a cultural icon...well at least it was in the 90s.  I don't know if anyone cares about it anymore...

Anyway, I mainly read anime synopses to filter out stuff like: "Humanity is under attack by <silly made up threat> and only people with special powers called <silly made up name> who are part of <silly made up organization> can stop them!"  But I think that's less about the synopsis itself and more about recognizing a certain style of show that I already know I don't like.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: October 30, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »
On the other hand strong writing and characters can keep my interest even if there isn't much of an overarching plot.

This right here is the main difference for me. I like good characters, but I don't need them to enjoy a series if I like the world and story. Really, my priorities are as follows: Art Style -> Setting -> Hook -> Characters -> Pacing -> Story excecution

To make a long story short, that's basically how my moemory works as well. I remember visual experiences most of all, whereas events, names, and characters tend to fade very quickly. The biggest anime example I can think of is Aria: The Animation - I could not tell you thing one about what happened in it, if anything, but I'll always remember its version of Mars. It left such a striking impression that I could not possibly forget it. All the canals, architecture, etc. It lives on in my mind long after the story ended and the characters faded away. And that's what I always look for: I want to be presented with a memorable and interesting world. I will not settle for mundanity.

I know this makes my outburst from earlier look even more juvanille than it already was. My tastes in stories are very limity - anything that feels like it takes place in modern times, with not fantasical elements to makes its world stand out, insteads focusing on individual characters whom are guaranteed to fade from my memory eventually for sooner than the world they took place in...its obviously going to limit the conversations I can have when it comes to stories of any medium. I guess I just got frustrated, since I really wanted to talk about anime, and was banking on the new season to help that along. But everything that did have a potentially interesting world havedn't been grabbing attention, and instead I feel as left out of the conversation as I was last season...

...Then again, did I remember to bang on about how awesome My Hero Academia was? Because it was seriouly awesome...I think I missed a golden opportunity there...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: October 30, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
To make a long story short, that's basically how my moemory works as well.

Quoting this because while its an obvious typo, its also perfect in every way.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
After extensive review, I have compiled a list of recommended shows for this season.
  • Recovery of an MMO Junkie (Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life)
That concludes the list.

...yup.

I decided to watch the first episode of this based on these posts.

................meh.

It was ok. Had some cute moments, but nothing grabbed me.  The lead female's eyes freak me the heck out, too.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: November 01, 2017, 04:48:58 PM »
I don't remember, but did I post here about how last season's Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul was a huge disappointment?
Because it's way up there with Aldnoah.Zero in 'season 2s that completely missed the boat'.

It's almost insulting that they kept the ending open in case of a third season.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: November 01, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
I broke down and got Strike. Watched about 5 episodes of Princess Principal. They did an excellent job with world building and the story is interesting. I kind of find the characters meh though.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:57 AM »
So I got to the end of the Net juu no Susume (*cough*, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" if you really want to call it that...) manga.  As I suspected it's not a very satisfying conclusion...because it doesn't conclude anything.  The manga has been on hiatus for the last two years, not completed.

So one might wonder why they would choose to make an anime out of a manga that's been on hiatus for two years.  I mean, that fact could hardly have been a secret even when they started production.  So I will remain cautiously optimistic that they had some kind of plan here...while the manga doesn't actually finish it does feel like we're getting close to the climax of the story.  And it's not like the author is dead or anything, so he/she may have been available for consultation when they did the anime.  Basically what I'm saying is that there's a non-zero chance of having a not-terrible anime-original ending.  I mean...it could happen...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
Found out Tiger & Bunny is on Netflix, so I finally started that up. I've been meaning to get to it for ages, but so far, it's...interesting. It helps that lately I've been really into Super Hero-related stuff lately (comic books, movies, and Hero-based competitive multiplayer games), so the setting and story seem to be hitting home for me. I'm only 4 episodes in, though, so hopefully Kotetsu and Bunny start getting along better, because their lover's spats got old by the end of episode 3. I guess it doesn't help that none of the other characters have been presented as anything more than one-off jokes, but I have a gut feeling that everyone has a lot more going on under the surface than they've shown so far.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: November 04, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
Bunny is a tsundere; you get to the dere eventually.

Do they have the movie too? Because you'll want to watch that after the serie.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: November 05, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
Outside of the 2 MCs, Made in Abyss was pretty damn incredible.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: November 09, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Watched ID-0, which sort of reminded me of Avatar, and Neo Yokio, which was a bit poorly-acted but still a guilty pleasure.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: November 09, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Juuni Taisen is beginning to irritate me.  I mean, it was clear from the start that most of the cast was going to be killed, but we're only halfway in, and everybody I liked is already dead.  I've got nobody left to cheer for.

I'm also not happy that basically everyone so far has died because they underestimated their opponent, or made a stupid mistake.  I don't watch shounen series for cheap kills, I want to see characters pushing their limits.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
Yeah, I definitely don't like it when characters I like suffer and those I hate get away with being jerks.