Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:37:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327838 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  A bit of Persona advice.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A bit of Persona advice.  (Read 64 times)
Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:56:42 AM »

Hi. I need help making a buying decision. I am a huge fan of Persona 3 and I was ecstatic when I heard they were making a series of movies for it. However, I am not likely to spend $60 to $80 dollars on a movie. That is especially true if it is an import where I can't even understand the extra features. I assumed that eventually Aniplex would release a real western version that would be cheaper. However it has been a while. Maybe it just feels like a while and I am not remembering correctly. I guess I could be blinded by anime madness.

I don't mind waiting longer to see if it eventually comes out. Yet I am afraid that they will stop selling it and the price will skyrocket. So my question for those of you with history with lesser known Aniplex titles is what do you speculate will happen. I guess the worst thing that could happen is it gets so expensive later I never buy it. So should I wait or just break down and strike up a conversation with the guy who keeps asking to buy my kidney?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:01:31 AM »

Oh Aniplex...

Pretty much anything they release is going to be horribly expensive.  Occasionally they do release cheaper DVD versions later on but they'll basically never have a cheap blu-ray version.  This is because the US and Japan have different DVD region codes but they're actually in the same blu-ray region.  And sometimes their cheap releases are dub-only on top of that.  Stuff in Japan is so horribly expensive they worry about reverse importers...though this might be less of a concern than it once was because the yen has gotten weaker but even so things just cost more in Japan.

You might wonder how other companies release stuff for cheap in the US without worrying about this.  That's a very good question...

Anyway, on top of that Aniplex's stuff is always limited release.  Once they sell out it's gone.  I guess this is part of their scheme to encourage people to buy their overpriced releases since they'll worry that if they miss it they'll never be able to get it again.  Basically they've given up on having any mass-market appeal and just want to gouge the hardcore fans as much as possible instead.

Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »

Thank you. That is what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just go ahead and buy it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: