Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 09:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338418 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 386546 times)
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3885 on: November 12, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »

I'd like to see Interstellar... on home video. Too long for the theater for me. The mysteries and possibilities of the universe always interest me, so I'm a bit excited about it.

Evil Dead (REMAKE) - Here's the blasphemy: I've never seen the original Evil Dead films, including Army of Darkness. I've been meaning to over the last few decades... Just never got around to it.
Now, with a fresh perspective on the story, I must say this was a fun Halloween film. It has a good balance of ridiculousness and scary stuff. The acting was decent. Especially Mia when she was possessed. Overall, the "victims" were a little too brainless about stuff ("Don't go in there!! What're you, stupid??"), but I understand that's how some scenes needed to be set up.
I was surprised about the amount of gore. Actually had to turn my head for a second during a few scenes, cuz I'm a wuss about that stuff. Being based on an early 80s (when gore was all over the horror movie industry) film, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by it.

The Rite - Not bad. More like a drama than a horror movie, but it's spooky enough at times. Seen plenty of movies about exorcism, and this one of the better ones, IMO. The story (for the most part) is interesting, and the acting is good (especially Hopkins during the last half hour or so). Some scenes felt a little drawn out, and the movie overall a little long, but not enough to make me feel fatigued by it. I did feel that the ending wrapped everything up a little too nicely/conveniently, but waddayagonnado?
Side note: The main actress' cleft chin really bugged me. I can't stand that on women. Thankfully, she didn't have a ton of screen time.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - Where to begin? OK, it's obvious McFarlane wasn't really putting much effort into his role. Some of the scenes where he has a lot of dialogue are a little painful to watch/listen to. As for the overall humor... A lot if it felt there was minimal (or no) effort in regards to actual wit. Lots and lots of toilet jokes and nonsensical stuff, which I am usually down with, to a degree. However, like I said, it's like there was minimal effort involved. A lot of it fell flat for me. Don't get me wrong, though. There are some pretty funny scenes..., but usually involving the other (real) actors. The cameos were fantastic. Especially the one involving a certain time machine. Also, Charlize Theron is fucking beautiful, so I'll watch almost anything with her in it, anyway. Some people (especially those who like the sad state Family Guy is in these days) will probably enjoy the film thoroughly.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3886 on: November 12, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »

Evil Dead (REMAKE) - Here's the blasphemy: I've never seen the original Evil Dead films, including Army of Darkness. I've been meaning to over the last few decades... Just never got around to it.
Now, with a fresh perspective on the story, I must say this was a fun Halloween film. It has a good balance of ridiculousness and scary stuff. The acting was decent. Especially Mia when she was possessed. Overall, the "victims" were a little too brainless about stuff ("Don't go in there!! What're you, stupid??"), but I understand that's how some scenes needed to be set up.
I was surprised about the amount of gore. Actually had to turn my head for a second during a few scenes, cuz I'm a wuss about that stuff. Being based on an early 80s (when gore was all over the horror movie industry) film, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by it.

FOR SHAME!

The Bruce Campbell versions are worlds better.  The redo won't prepare you for the goofy genius of Evil Dead 2 or 3 at all. 

natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3887 on: November 13, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

FOR SHAME!

The Bruce Campbell versions are worlds better.  The redo won't prepare you for the goofy genius of Evil Dead 2 or 3 at all. 

You may be pleased to know I ended up watching the original last night on Hulu. Good stuff. Definitely has the classic horror movie feel to it. It's the little things that make the difference in scariness. Not overblown and overused special effects.
Anyway, the original is a good time, for sure. The low budget they had to work with definitely shows in some scenes, but overall the make up and effects are pretty darn good for the time.
In the end, I did like this one a bit better than the remake. The tension is built up more effectively. You could feel the desperation of the characters. Wanting and trying to get out of the situation.

I started watching the second one, and I was already confused by the first 5 minutes. It seemed to retell the ending of the original in a different way? I don't know, but it definitely has a VERY different feel than said original. I didn't watch all of it though, cuz it was getting late. I know it has a legacy in it's own right, so I'll check it out some other day.

I also watched the first 20 minutes of Journey to the West. Strange stuff, but admittedly interesting and entertaining. Definitely a Stephen Chow film. I'll probably finish it with some mary jane this weekend. "Fer shizzle".
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3888 on: November 13, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

Well for you evil dead lovers.....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/11/starz-evil-dead-tv-series/

I'm eager...yet scared.

TASTY!
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3889 on: November 13, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Well for you evil dead lovers.....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/11/starz-evil-dead-tv-series/

I'm eager...yet scared.

do want!

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »

I also watched the first 20 minutes of Journey to the West. Strange stuff, but admittedly interesting and entertaining. Definitely a Stephen Chow film. I'll probably finish it with some mary jane this weekend. "Fer shizzle".

Hey, I won't be the only one who's seen that! :D  I agree with your assessment.  Not my favorite of his, but not bad.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3891 on: November 15, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »

I saw Interstellar. It was good, but I largely preferred the earlier parts of the movie when it felt more realistic. It stuck in a lot of eyerolling Hollywood cliches that I really thought were unnecessary because I was completely engaged by the science fiction parts of the movie.

Despite my gripes this might actually be my favorite Nolan movie though, but that's probably because I like the subject matter a lot more than the other movies he's done.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3892 on: November 19, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »

X-Men: Days of Future Past -

A time travel story that's actually easy to follow for a change.
This was definitely more "talky" and less "actiony" than your typical super hero movie, but I was ok with that. We still get plenty of action, but it feels like it's more build up than anything.
They continue to overuse characters like Mystique, Magneto, and Wolverine, but I can't say I mind watching Jennifer Lawrence running around in a skin tight suit for 2 hours.
The ending does a great job of erasing all that came before, which I'm not sure is a good thing.
I'm definitely looking forward to Apocalypse so where this is all headed.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3893 on: November 20, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End -

What a colossal hunk of shit. Completely ruined the mojo of the first two flicks.  Id suspected as much, which is why I waited this long to actually watch it.

Ugh, That's all the more words that need to be wasted on it.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3894 on: November 21, 2014, 01:20:41 AM »

I n t e r s t e l l a r

= I went in expecting to hate it, left a bit happier at least! :)

= I really wanna get this off first: Nolan loves 'dead wives' and I'm hard pressed to think of which film doesn't have that (and yeah I'm kinda counting Rachel whom may as well or was almost one...and Batman's mom).  Hell, the Prestige has two of them. x)

= I definitely liked the emotions.  Even without a child of my own the scenes between Murph (eugh, you have one beautiful girl and that's the name you pick?????) and Cooper were very heart-felt and sincere.  That said, I feel this was a story of a man who loved his daughter more than his son (at least enough to make jokes about it!)

= It also needs to be said that this film has some of the most elegant depictions of space and time and all therein in the most elegant way possible.  The black hole, the space travel, the in-betweens of planet and space.  The outside-the-ship cam was a great way to view things too.  I'm yellowing-ing this so as to completely emphasize it!!  SO there it is.

= I mostly liked the OST.  The deep-space organ REALLY could have been toned down a bit though and came off more ominous than need be for some scenes.  Still 'sounded' epic.

= Nolan needs to change his sound crew.  One particular bedside scene was like.... "????? *cough* ???? come home" was all I heard.  The emotions said more than the characters did and details later outlined the rest.  Still, that sucks.

= I was happy the movie didn't waste time where it didn't have to.  The cut to saying bye to the kids to flying the ship was nice and quick to get the movie really going.  On the other hand, I'm sure we say Anne Hatheway cry like 20 times.  Poor girl.

= All this movie needed were those AWESOME 4-pillar-asterix robots.  They're clearly capable of a ton of actions, completely human-like communication, have the most ULTIMATE connectivity plan, and don't require humans risking their lives!!!!! YAAAY.  FUCKING PEOPLE RUIN EVERYTHING!  AUUUGH!!!

SPOILERS
Code:
= Given the lack of real and legitimate extra-terrestrials, I thought some of the spoilers of "who made the space hole" somewhat obvious

= Fucking Matt Damon.  Honestly, I'll forgive the closed time loop nature of the plot, but the stuff on the Ice Planet Hoth felt too much like the film searching for an antagonist while trying to relay "IT'S SURVIVAL, BRUH" in a much too meaningful but contrived way.  No good, he disobeys numerous warnings and basic protocol.  He was selfish basically, even if Plan B was safer and his method to cope with despair.  I hated that it meant having to kill people to do it --- a number may have been on board with him if push came to shove.... he just went for kicking and punching.
...But well played, Matt.  Well played, you made me hate you.  He was a good idea, but I'm on the fence of whether it was done well or not.

= omg....eating only corn?  I'd have died long ago...bleh.

= Yeah, bootstraps.  A large part of the plot was a stable time loop to fulfill an event that, eventually[?], would have meant it would have been fixed somehow to begin with???? Because ????????  But Cooper was there????  But How????  Who did what first???? CHICKEn,....EGG....*KABOOM*
I'm not really too sold on the climax and I felt it was just a creative way to explain a bunch of things.  But I think it's somewhat ambiguous and wielding the Magical [s]Fiction[/s] Paradox wand.  Maybe Hatheway's character went for Plan B, while Plan A worked too (and the New Earth Colony orbiting Saturn meets one day with Hathaway's Planet?).  Or the "magical formula" that Murph was working on was truly the ace in the hole the world needed. 
The plot reliance on "the others" was super-duper convenient I guess.
But I'd love to read a good FAQ on the whole ordeal versus what I missed.

= The "docking" scene after Matt Damon fucks everything up was a bit "Hollywood" but well filmed

= While bizarre, the 5D space thing was a brilliant looking space and a great concept for an..."ok" plot idea.  Like seriously.  It was super cool, weird, and fashioned a clever 3D labrynth way.  I love that it was 'always moving' too.

= I loved water planet, the big wave, super robot, and the sad consequence of staying just "a little" too long.

=  My boyfriend and I have a [sad] running gag for films where we ask if a black character will either (a) die or (b) have an off-screen death.  .... dot dot dot.

= That ending.  I'm not sure how I feel there.  Certainly there's a very poignant mood whiplash in reuniting with your brilliant daughter (lol, what son?) moments before she passes away.  It was beautiful, but a bittersweet reunion given all that was potentially lost between family but all that was gained for humanity.  I loved that.  But I do think Cooper's plot line resolved SO SQUEAKY CLEAN that there's not a hint of damage on him being the most ideal thing ever.  Hatheway looks blue; wonder where her plot would have gone.... ah well. 
I'm guessing Earth DID actually "bite the dust" too, huh?

= The power of love??  Really????  REALLY???  Fine, it was done super sweetly (unlike most Japanese things trying the same message) but I'm not sure the script did it justice.  They didn't have to call it like it is...literally saying, a few time, "love did it" in some form...  ..Still, shoulda listened to Anne to go visit her boyfriend, huh?

Once again Nolan tries a "perfect wrap" but departed with an ambiguous and somewhat messy ending (I definitely thought Inception being a better version of the big climax elegantly collapsing into something much more clean and tidy).  I liked the film, a lot more than I thought, and I cannot stress how spectacular and wonderful everything looks.  Truly, if there's any legacy in this it's how space and time were presented.

Ah well here's Neil DeGrasse Tyson on the film.  Which is cool because he's a scientist first.
http://youtu.be/R1cexcjdyIE

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3895 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »

I love the dead wife angle there, Dice

Reminds me of this classic bit:

https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-bill-clinton-000000874.html
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3896 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »

What a colossal hunk of shit. Completely ruined the mojo of the first two flicks.  Id suspected as much, which is why I waited this long to actually watch it.

It's a guilty pleasure movie for me. But don't see the 4th one. It's not even a guilty pleasure. It's a shameful turd
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3897 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »

It's weird because I always have trouble thinking WHAT was wrong with it.
The long run-time and mindless action being particularly bad I guess.  But it just had trouble keeping my interest.

And yeah, the 4th one was worse.  I remember putting it on, and it started good...!!  But then by the half-way point I was cleaning my room with it on in the background.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3898 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »

Lone Survivor -
I kind of regret watching this, as it was not an easy watch.
I couldn't help but think, as the events unfold, that they never should have been there in the first place. I understand the mission, but it seemed ill--fated from the start.
I'm unsure as to what "true acts of courage" we are supposed to be seeing here. Petty much everyone on the planet is going to fight as hard as they can to stay alive.
It's a decently made movie, for sure, and the actors are all just fine. A simple story told simply. I'm just not sure how truly accurate what I saw was, as is always the case with "true" stories.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra: saw this one thanks to some friends who are into old movies.  It's a sendup of old sci fi/horror B movies, and while it's not successful in every moment, it made me laugh a number of times.

Here's the trailer, which I wish had more of the dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9Fs10IIk0

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: