Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2015, 02:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360609 Posts in 14635 Topics by 2275 Members
Latest Member: Jahmis
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 474633 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4215 on: June 25, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »

^ I kinda like it for that unresolved aspect.  I normally don't, I'm with you right there, but I do think it's a fun/depressing look at popular media too and how it can fuck perspectives up.

Inside Out!

IMDB synopsis:
After young Riley is uprooted from her Midwest life and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

...It's good.

It's cute, but...hell, even somewhat formulaic for Pixar.  It is super sweet and very creative, Pixar is totally masters of the craft in this department with really ringing out all ideas and being knowledgable about the topic they work with, so there's a ton of TLC put into the world they fashion.  

But don't be fooled --- it may star a girl and her core innermost emotions (joy, sadness, disgust, anger, and fear), but this boils down way too hard on being an opposites attract "buddy flick" between Joy and Sadness working out their differences while trying to reunite with the main group; basically something the three Toy Story flicks have already done.  The core problem is incredibly realistic, and I can imagine this story really impacting someone who has moved cities in their lifetime; there's a ton of small details in the main girl's life the works on many levels.  And despite the hard focus on the five emotions working out these 'feelings' during a big move, the family is well developed and aren't just peripheral to the plot.

I think the film is a lot of fun and very interesting on an emotional level (in fact I doubt it'll resonate with children as much as it will with adults).  And while I think it's a very good film, I can't say any part of it necessarily made my jaw drop with any of the action or any of the comedy (of course, to be fair, Up and Wall-e set a really high bar for that in comparison).  It felt more like a creative exploration to a very real and difficult part of growing up, a think piece that works more than being this big huge thrilling experience.

Cinderella

I'm happy to say it's better than that crapfest called Maleficent.  It's good too; but the comparison has to be made: It's not as good as the 1950 animated version, basically it's a tawdry retelling of it complete with a more glamorous dress and Helena Bonham Carter acting like Helena Bonham Carter.  It's nice that these adaption try at more of a backstory than the original Disney versions ever intended (The Prince actually has a name and is more than just eye-candy), but oddly they seem to be even cheesier than their musical originals.

What the worst thing has to be however is that the stakes just weren't the same.  
Lady Tremaine in the film was absolutely frightening, devious, and you were scared what she would do every time she showed on screen because she was that much of a bitch to Cinderella.  Cate Blanchet does a fine job but is not nearly written to be anywhere near as menacing.

https://youtu.be/I6SdCDpvTnw  I mean, WATCH THIS SCENE.  It's fast, it's cruel, it takes Cinderella from being the belle of the ball and humiliating her as they rip her dress to rags, the poor girl runs off crying after.  
In 2015 Cinderella, I kid you not, Lady Tremaine rips a small part of the top of Ella's dress... and that's about it.

Anyways, watch this movie for your little cousin, niece, or daughter.  It's for them, not us grouchy adults. :P

Fun fact is that this seems to be a fun reunion of sorts: Two of the main girls are from Downton Abbey, two of the main guys were in Game of Thrones (lol,I said "were"), and director Kenneth Branagh got to work with Helena Bonham Carter again.  That's pretty cool I guess.

EDIT: Here's an anime version of the story spoken in Arabic.  https://youtu.be/0ox308ziFM4
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:14:10 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Andrew
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4216 on: June 25, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »

On my way back from E3 I watched, well started watching, Cinderella on the plane. To be fair, films are never as good on that tiny screen when you're squished between other people and suffering from a lack of sleep... but I was so bored. I watched the first 30-40ish minutes and then turned it off. I was like, "Wait, I already know exactly what's going to happen. Why am I watching this?"

I am planning to go see Inside Out this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4217 on: June 26, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »

I watched Noah on netflix. I was actually surprised. The first two acts of the movie were pretty great.  And there's fantastic Aronofsky art direction that's always beautiful. Plus it does a good job of portraying a sinful and dead world.

The last act was a bit nuts. But whatever.

Good soundtrack too.

https://youtu.be/FFCXHr8aKDk
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: June 26, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

Those were my thoughts when I saw it as well. :)

I saw Tusk tonight.  It was terrible.  Not funny enough to be even considered a dark comedy, not actually scary.  Really disappointing, stupid ending.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4219 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:09 AM »

I want a Jurassic Park movie where its like what if dinosaurs aren't dead but were always skeletons and are just /waiting/

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4220 on: June 30, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »

I want a Jurassic Park movie where its like what if dinosaurs aren't dead but were always skeletons and are just /waiting/

I want a Jurassic Park movie where nobody tries to build a goddamn Jurassic Park, or returns to any currently existing Jurassic Park, but where we follow some young dinosaurs struggling to survive an extinction event due to the fact that the very facility is an ecological anomaly and Mother Nature is in the process of correcting said anomaly, inhabitants be dammed.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4221 on: June 30, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »

Saw Jurassic World. It was good. I enjoyed it for what it was. That being said-I really wish most of the characters were eaten by...anything. Christ Pratt, Jake Johnson, and the kids mom were the only actors that seemed to enjoy being on screen. I don't know if it's the way the other characters were written, or the way they were played, but overall, not awesome. If it weren't for Pratt I don't think the movie would be doing even close to as well as it is.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4222 on: July 01, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »

Left Behind is on instant streaming on Netflix...

dear god so bad it's good.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4223 on: July 01, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »

Kirk Cameron or Nicolas Cage?

Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4224 on: July 01, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

Kirk Cameron or Nicolas Cage?

...would it make much difference?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4225 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »

The Nic Cage one.

It's not "The Room" good bad but it's in the same aisle at the supermarket.
natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4226 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »

^^ It has a hefty 2% rating on RT. Must be quite the film. I went ahead and read the plot on Wikipedia and it sure does sound stupid as.. wait for it... HELL.

I wish Nic Cage would stop doing awful films, or characters not meant for him. Dude can seriously act when given certain roles, but because he can't stop spending his money, he keeps taking whatever anyone offers him. Too many hilariously bad movies under his belt.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4227 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »

I wish Nic Cage would stop doing awful films, or characters not meant for him. Dude can seriously act when given certain roles, but because he can't stop spending his money, he keeps taking whatever anyone offers him. Too many hilariously bad movies under his belt.

This.  It's called Ben Kingsley Syndrome.

Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: July 01, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

At least in Nic Cage's case, I don't know that he can afford to pass on any part he's offered.  I remember him having financial troubles.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4229 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:42 AM »

In the Hall of the Bad Lieutenant
https://youtu.be/uNz0POlwQP0
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: