Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331542 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 277363 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2955 on: September 13, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

All of these shounen manga ending in unsatisfying manners only reminds me that One Piece is the best.  Right now they're in an encounter against a villain teased over ten years ago.  When Brook joined they brought up a story payoff that was also about 8-10 old.  There's a story that's had some ****ing PLANNING. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2956 on: September 14, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »

So HSDK's ending...I'd give it a C I guess. It went with the standard boring, here's where everyone is and we're going to have everyone gather for a party (although they never show the party) setup. That set up is fine, but not exactly exciting. I'm not going to say it is a failure of an ending though because it does manage to have both of the main characters fulfill their dreams. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Have to wonder why the series is ending now, I mean we didn't get a long arc dedicated to Kensei, which I was expecting since he was the villain behind everything and I can't even remember what the hell happened to him in the final arc.

All of these shounen manga ending in unsatisfying manners only reminds me that One Piece is the best.  Right now they're in an encounter against a villain teased over ten years ago.  When Brook joined they brought up a story payoff that was also about 8-10 old.  There's a story that's had some ****ing PLANNING. 
The planning in One Piece is amazing. There are so many plot threads that you can see slowly built up over the years in the background of the main plots. Blackbeard for example was the major background plot of the first half of the Grand Line where he's first mentioned in Drum Island and we learn someone is after him and Luffy, then we learn that Luffy's brother was the one looking for them on Alibasta, then we see Blackbeard in Jaya(might be getting that name wrong) where he wants to go after the Straw Hats but is prevented from it by luck, then during the end of Water 7 Ace and Blackbeard fight, and these events lead directly into the War of the Paramount ending the first half of the Grand Line story segment. And I know that summary misses some of the events. From start to end, that plotline lasts something like 45 volumes. That means we're talking more than 450 chapters which is something like 9 years, and arguably it is still ongoing since Blackbeard is now a major player in the world. I am greatly looking forward to the events of Reverie which seem like it will be the conclusion to the second half of the Grand Line (and possibly the series itself, although that is likely still a decade away). There are two things Oda excels at. 1. Giving his characters weird powers that make for interesting battles and 2. World building, oh god does he excel at world building.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2957 on: September 14, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »

"One Piece" was always something I really wanted to get into but the size of it intimidates the hell out of me.

Just decided to start "D-Gray Man" (wanted to years after learning of it) and even that intimidates me. I'm a 12-26 episode kinda guy. Despite my love of epic RPG's I have commitment issues when it comes to other media. Then again, I DID manage Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and then GT last year so I suppose I can muster the dedication when the mood strikes me.

On the D-Gay Man: So far so good. Really love the autumn/halloween appropriate tone. Not so thrilled with the dub (voice actors) but I sort of expected that.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2958 on: September 14, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »

There are two things Oda excels at. 1. Giving his characters weird powers that make for interesting battles and 2. World building, oh god does he excel at world building.

Yup. Those two points are some of the best elements a shounen manga can aspire to have.

I left the series behind a long time ago, but One Piece is one of those things that's a pretty fulfilling and entertaining experience to follow in the long run.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2959 on: September 15, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »

"One Piece" was always something I really wanted to get into but the size of it intimidates the hell out of me.

Take the plunge! There is a reason why it is the best selling manga ever. It might be intimidating, but you won't regret the awesomeness you get for it. Plus the longer you wait, the more intimidating it is going to become, so the sooner the better. :p
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2960 on: September 15, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

Once you get to Alabasta, it'll be easier to take it in chunks, just an arc or 3 at a time. That's what I did at least.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2961 on: Today at 10:45:10 AM »

Wife and I wrapped up the first season of the Attack on Titan anime last night. Loved it. Powerful stuff. Sucks balls that the production studio has their hands tied with OVAs and such. It will be some time before the main story will be continued...
I try to not start any television series that haven't already concluded yet, because I hate waiting for future "seasons". I want to be able to go all the way through. Binge, baby! In this case, I just checked out the first episode on a whim, as I wanted to see what it was all about. As that first episode ended, I immediately had to see more. It got me. Hook, line, and sinker. I had the wife watch it, and she was totally engrossed as well.

I've never been a fan of comic books, but we enjoyed this series so much, we are even considering picking up the mangas. Something no other anime has even remotely persuaded me to do. Can't wait for future episodes.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: