Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 04, 2015, 09:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363794 Posts in 14737 Topics by 2303 Members
Latest Member: vaan762
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Asian Drama Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Asian Drama Thread  (Read 108 times)
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »

I know I am not the only "RPGFan Fan" here in the forums that is into Asian Drama.  For me, it's specifically Korean Drama.  I only just became a kdrama addict a few months ago, so I have yet to branch out into other regions.

I thought I'd create a thread where we can discuss dramas and make recommendations (or warnings).

So, which dramas are you watching right now?  What have you completed this year?

Current RPG - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »

I've only ever finished the 2010 version of Three Kingdoms, which I did actually like enough to consider it one of my favorite live-action shows. Also it really got me into the RoTK lore more than all the Dynasty Warriors games I played. The show itself has some excellent casting, most notable with Cao Cao. The one thing is though, that it tends to be fairly over the top at times, but I don't think I need to explain that to anyone who watches asian drama.

I've tried to look bit into other stuff, but I'm not really interested in any contemporary setting stuff other than maybe trying out some kamen rider some day. I've heard there are some decent historical korean shows and japanese samurai drama, but in general I don't really know much what goes on with them.
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »

Yeah, I like the silly romance and syrupy sentimentality of the contemporary kdramas.  The only historical one I saw was "Deep-Rooted Tree" which was interesting but devolved into so much sound and fury signifying nothing.  I can't recommend it to a casual (which I think I still am).

The last couple years have seen some EXCELLENT medical dramas come from Korea, though.  Both Good Doctor and Doctor Stranger proved to be both addictive and entertaining.  And a couple of the actors have been exceptional, as well, which is difficult to gauge being a non-Korean.  But I think anyone could watch Good Doctor and be blown away by Joo Won, for example.  The guy's a beast.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:55:55 AM »

Cunning Single Lady

Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »

Cunning Single Lady

Netflix keeps recommending this to me.  I think my wife will eventually make me watch it.  ??/10??

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

I saw Strawberry on the Shortcake (something about a stupid girl and incest) and Attention Please (uneducated rocker girl wants to / becomes a flight attendant)

I wouldn't call those any good and I'm wondering why I watched them at all.
Anyone knows a good Samurai show? Something a la Seven Samurai.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »

I only saw Boys Over Flowers.  I loved everything but the sort-of final arc or bunch of episodes where our heroine loses her gusto because she fell in love or whatever.

Nevertheless, enjoyed it and I'll definitely look here for more recommendations. :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

I saw Strawberry on the Shortcake (something about a stupid girl and incest) and Attention Please (uneducated rocker girl wants to / becomes a flight attendant)

I wouldn't call those any good and I'm wondering why I watched them at all.
Anyone knows a good Samurai show? Something a la Seven Samurai.

Incest?  Must have been Japanese.

As for samurai, I got nothing, but you could try Mecharobot's Three Kingdoms suggestion.  If Dynasty Warriors taught me anything, it's that the Three Kingdoms period had lots of fighting.

I only saw Boys Over Flowers.  I loved everything but the sort-of final arc or bunch of episodes where our heroine loses her gusto because she fell in love or whatever.

Nevertheless, enjoyed it and I'll definitely look here for more recommendations. :D

My personal favorite is the Korean version of Fated To Love You.  It's a little weird and zany, at times (a lot of times), but the two leads are so charming I can't imagine you hating it, even if you're not a fan of silliness or cheese.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: