Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338464 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 Print
Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!  (Read 127328 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »

I always make the joke about BrBa that a lot of episodes are split with "WE'RE NEVER COOKING AGAIN!!!!" and "Jesse... let's cook...!" between shots of Jesse being both a good guy and a complete twat and Skyler's blowup doll face.

Brooklyn Nine Nine[/u]

= Catchy ass opening

= Rosa, Gina, the Captain and Terry are the best... Actually I like them all most of the time except for Samberg's and Fumero's (Peralta and Santiago) characters.  Amy can be funny, when she isn't trying so hard to be it; a "running gag" that has her being too caring and over-the-top wasn't really funny the first time but it keeps happening.  Honestly, despite being the (more or less) titular characters, they have trouble acting their parts well at all.  Andy Samberg loves being obnoxious, which is fine, but he likes going out of the way for it and calling himself on it too much (i.e. being a little shit for the sake of being a little shit) --- which in effect makes it way less fun.

I almost found the Adam Sandler cameo funny since he and Samberg have a similar style of humor... y'know, where they enter the room and it's like: "HEY I'M ANDY SAMBERG, AND I'M BEING FUNNY".

= Andre Baugher as Captain Holt is *perfect*.  It must be fun to work as emotionless as possible, of course.  He's a perfect blend of matter-of-fact and no-nonsense.

= I love the teaming up of different characters in whatever situations; a lot of characters work super well together using quirk+quirk = comedy.  Basically there's no bad combination.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:10:34 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »

^I just hope the latter half of the season isn't a sign of the show's future and it's going to have the problem the later seasons of Scrubs did with the story getting in the way of the humor.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: August 12, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

^I just hope the latter half of the season isn't a sign of the show's future and it's going to have the problem the later seasons of Scrubs did with the story getting in the way of the humor.

Eugh.  That's what drives me nuts.  The "romance" between Boyle and Rosa works because at least it usually IS played up for giggles.  The romance in Parks and Rec works because they also throw in humor while it's happening (most of the time, and when it's not it's very brief).  The Office made it work because that show knew went to be sentimental and made a point of having its "secrets" outted.  I agree, when it's just Peralta and Santiago, the show just STOPS for them two.  No one cares.  I'm rooting for Boyle and Rosa.  :P

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: August 20, 2014, 06:46:14 AM »

Been watching Futurama recently in order to pass time while I wait for Tales of Xillia 2 to get here. I'm surprised as to how much of the show I still remember. Just finished up the episode about Fry's nephew last night. Great episode that always gets me right in the feels.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »

^ The show had some of the best adventures, and some of the most poignant television I've ever seen.  While I think, overall, Simpsons (in its first maybe 12 seasons) was stronger, comedy-wise --- I think Futurama was the much better adventure able to evoke way more imagination and feeling.

Legend of Korra

Code:
= We end on quite a sad note it seems.  Her poisoned hallucination and the air nomads acting in the "avatar name" seem to suggest that...perhaps Korra *isn't* needed anymore.  Poor girl teared up at the end.  But I'd like to think that is the next thing for Korra, to find a meaning of birth outside of "being the Avatar".  ...Or of course, I'm 1000% wrong. :)

= Seriously.  Korra x Asami have been great together.  And I love Asami, she really deserves/ed more screentime.

= Awesome air fight; just enough call-back to Ozai and Aang final showdown, but with an interesting reversal.  Korra was the one with the fire fight, and Zaheer was the "evil Aang" airbender

= Oh my god, the worst/BEST death in the series.  P'li got a headshot... on herself.  Easily the most brutal death in the entire show and the one the creators "showed the least" of (no SFX, no proper visual).

= Bolin can lava bend!  Beautiful conclusion to his attempt at metal bending and a perfect balance to the rest of his fire-bending family.

= I'm really glad they gave Jenora a full hair cut.  I would have been annoyed if they didn't to keep her 'looking cute'.  I loved that she looked a lot like a female-Aang.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »

^ The show had some of the best adventures, and some of the most poignant television I've ever seen.  While I think, overall, Simpsons (in its first maybe 12 seasons) was stronger, comedy-wise --- I think Futurama was the much better adventure able to evoke way more imagination and feeling.

Yeah, Futurama had great adventures and was great at getting you in the feels when it wanted to. Sadly I didn't get to season 4, so while I got to rewatch the Luck of the Fryrish, I did not watch Jurassic Bark. I'll finish the original run of the series up sometime after I finish Tales of Xillia 2. And then I will come here to cry my heart out with manly tears that exist solely because I got something in my eye.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: August 23, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »

I just tried to slog my way through The Tudors.  I loved the show Rome back in the day so I thought I give it a shot.  Freaking horrible though.  How they managed to make King Henry VIII's life of drinking and whoring,beheading and then whoring some more seem pedestrian is completely beyond me. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: September 01, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

So I've been watching the second season of Defiance on Hulu, and I've come to a realization. I hate this town, I would be perfectly okay with it being burnt to the ground because the people in it are absolute assholes and I don't care for 90% of them. You may now be asking, why do I keep watching it? Well besides the fact that these people are probably going to end up burning the town to the ground, either figuratively or literally, I love Nolan. He is a great character and I love his portrayal. I watch the show at this point for him and nothing else. Well okay Irisa's plot is alright, but that is partly because it ties very closely to Nolan's plot. The Doc is also alright....kinda. Everyone else can burn (although I think that is the reaction I am supposed to have Datak).
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »

Bittersweet moment when the preview after last night's season finale revealed that next summer would be the final season of Falling Skies. Super happy they're not going to draw the show out like Lost did, but also sad to see it go.

It's gone in some really strange directions, but the show has always managed to keep this wonderful tone that stays dark and oppressive, but not suffocating. The writing has always been great and the acting has usually been pretty great as well. Plus it was a weekly television show in my favorite subgenre of sci-fi (alien invasion) so I'll miss it quite a bit when it's gone.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Bojack Horseman

A Netflix original.... And I like it a lot.
Take the star of a 90s sitcom 20 years later in real life and following it's lead, who is now a burnt-out [horseman] D-lister, in Hollywood.  Or just let the kinda cool opening speak for itself.

I like it: Between the animal sight-gags and puns (like where a Cow Waitress gives sass to a guy who orders steak), it's surprisingly deep between the wit and....horsing around (I'm sorry).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:20:04 PM by Dice » Logged

glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

Just stumbled upon the complete series of Mr. Show.  Quite possibly the most under-reated TV program since the invention of the cathode ray tube. Just beyond genius.  Also, anything that puts Mary Lynn Rajskub in front of a nationally televised audience is a net win for everyone.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: September 03, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »

Heard on a podcast that Party Down is coming back to netflix.

That was a really funny and tight show.

Excellent theme too!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »

Getting caught up in Community. I never really focused on it but its right up my alley. Season 3 is fantastic. I heard it takes a downturn is season 4..:(

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: September 03, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »

Make your own judgements on Season 4. There are some clunkers but I enjoyed it in general.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »

Finished up season 4 of Breaking Bad the other night.
DAMN.
Code:
season 4 just blows season 3 out of the water. It's just so freakin' ridiculous. In a good way, I suppose. Totally intense the last few episodes. I still have problems with some of the idiotic actions of Walt and Jesse.
And why did they feel the need to show what happened to Gus in the end? That was just silly.
I wonder where 5 will go after this? There's loose strings, certainly, but we've gotten some solid resolutions this season.

So, I'll take a couple week break before starting up season 5.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: