Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #1995 on: April 05, 2017, 10:50:35 AM »
Finally started Stranger Things.  5 episodes in.

I can definitely see why this became such a phenomenon.

I finally watched it a few weeks ago, myself. Fantastic on several levels. So very well done.
Sean Astin and Paul Reiser will apparently have roles in the 2nd season.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 05, 2017, 11:35:41 AM »
Sean Astin and Paul Reiser will apparently have roles in the 2nd season.

That just makes me more excited.

Hoping Wife and I can finish it tonight.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 05, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »

Honestly surprised you;ve made it that far, considering your distaste for the demonic.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »

Honestly surprised you;ve made it that far, considering your distaste for the demonic.

I did my due diligence.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 05, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
There's not enough gore or Satanism here to violate Arvis' Brady family values.

Just teasing, of course, Arvy.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: April 06, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
LOL, @natros :P

I mean, there are harmless D&D scenes and an alien...  I don't really see a problem with this show, in that regard.  I looked into it beforehand and asked some people I trust who had seen it.  No spirits, no communicating with the dead, etc.

Hope they keep it strictly sci-fi in the next season, too.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
I kinda wish Season 2 would be a completely different story with similar themes but a different cast and setting. It would fit well with the name of the show, and other than that tiny cliffhanger, I felt like this particular story wrapped up nicely.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:53 AM »
I kinda feel like there's more than one "tiny cliffhanger".

Spoiler: show
I loved Eleven, so I'd definitely like some answers about what exactly happened to her.  Also, what does Chief Hopper know?  What was he told?  What's with the box of food?  If there's an Upside Down of essentially the entire universe, why was there just the one Monster?  And how does the Upside Down work?  There are buildings and cars.  How do they get there?  If something is built in Reality, it just APPEARS in the Upside Down?  How, precisely?  And if Reality builds the Upside Down, can stuff that a creature does in the Upside Down affect Reality?

I'm sure I have more questions than just those, too.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2003 on: April 20, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Given that I had some downtime for spring break this week, I watched a couple of episodes of this SyFy show called The Magicians because folks around me had been talking about it, saying it was a "more grown-up Harry Potter" and all.  I had heard about the show and read a free sample of the first book for my Kindle and I thought the read was terrible.  Here's what I said in the book thread several months badk.

Oh, and because I heard about some SyFy series called The Magicians that is based on a book series, I decided to get sample of the first book for my Kindle.  The premise seems sound- a more "grown up" Harry Potter where instead of real-world kids being whisked off to a magical school at age 10, real world teens are whisked off to a magical university at age 18.  And apparently, it also has some Narnia type elements.  Anyway, I figured "ehhh, why not" and read the free sample. 

The sample was terrible. 

For starters, the book initially takes place in Brooklyn NY, yet the three teenage characters spoke very stiffly, overly formally, and very "English."  Like, there was no Brooklyn swagger in any of their speech.  I get that these were the most elite students in the gifted/talented program, but I'd expect they would still talk/interact like city-dwelling teenagers.  The awkward kid was too restrained (clearly not from Brooklyn), the confident kid wasn't cocky enough (clearly not from Brooklyn), and the girl (who the awkward kid crushes on) had no personality (again, clearly not from Brooklyn.)  I also felt that the author's narrative style, his sentence structure and his word choice, was too English.  There as nothing American about it, and when a book is set in America it needs to "feel" American.  Apparently the author (Lev Grossman) is American and from Brooklyn, so I don't know if he's trying to be sardonic and parodical in his work (like typical British dry-wit humor), but it comes off as just asinine.  At least British humor has a little "wink wink" but with this, I can't tell if it's meant to be parody or meant to be taken seriously.  It doesn't even give me the satisfaction of laughing AT it rather than WITH it and just comes off as insipid and amateurish writing. 

That being said, I would like to revisit a fantasy/magical school setting.  The Magicians seemed like it would be a good fit for me, especially since it's a college setting with older characters in more adult situations, but I can't get over the dreck writing.

So, I wondered if the show would be any better.  It was not.  The acting was completely wooden, the characters had less personality than stale unsalted rice cakes, the scripting (both the event scripting and dialogue) felt very juvenile, and the visual effects often looked chintzy.  Again, the concept of "mature Harry Potter" is nice, but if the creators' definition of maturity is simply "getting drunk, partying, hooking up, and dropping the F-bomb every other word" then I question their maturity, creativity, and savvy. 

Yet the book AND the TV show seem to get positive reviews from critics and viewers.  And a part of me is left wondering if I'm missing something here.  Whatever.  I'm not wasting any more time with poorly written drivel that is The Magicians novel nor life-sapping swill that is The Magicians TV show. 

To end on a positive note, the one thing the series (both book and TV) seems to do well is illustrating the difficulty and complexity of learning magic.  It's like learning a complex language like Mandarin Chinese where simply saying a syllable at a low vs high pitch changes its meaning.  Except these subtleties lie both in words and hand movements.  It's not just simply waving a wand and saying some Latin or Latin-esque words. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:39:33 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
Anyone catch the premier of Doctor Who season 10, "The Pilot"?  I know there's a Doctor Who thread, but wasn't sure it was worth necro-ing or not.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2005 on: April 20, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
I don't keep up with Dr. Who, but it's definitely a show I like to watch when I have down time.  My mom was a Dr. Who fanatic back when she was living in England and loves the newer series and all the different iterations of the doctor. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:24:49 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 20, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »
Agents of Shield Art Online: Goddammit Simmons & whatever your name is this week Daisy! That is not how you infiltrate an alternate reality. Also, goddamn, I am amazed to see that the writers still remember Trip and got him back. Too bad they can't do the same to Bill Paxton.

Anyone catch the premier of Doctor Who season 10, "The Pilot"?  I know there's a Doctor Who thread, but wasn't sure it was worth necro-ing or not.

Its literally the eighth thread down from the top. Necro dat bitch natch.

Given that I had some downtime for spring break this week, I watched a couple of episodes of this SyFy show called The Magicians because folks around me had been talking about it, saying it was a "more grown-up Harry Potter" and all.  I had heard about the show and read a free sample of the first book for my Kindle and I thought the read was terrible.  Here's what I said in the book thread several months badk.

Oh, and because I heard about some SyFy series called The Magicians that is based on a book series, I decided to get sample of the first book for my Kindle.  The premise seems sound- a more "grown up" Harry Potter where instead of real-world kids being whisked off to a magical school at age 10, real world teens are whisked off to a magical university at age 18.  And apparently, it also has some Narnia type elements.  Anyway, I figured "ehhh, why not" and read the free sample. 

The sample was terrible. 

For starters, the book initially takes place in Brooklyn NY, yet the three teenage characters spoke very stiffly, overly formally, and very "English."  Like, there was no Brooklyn swagger in any of their speech.  I get that these were the most elite students in the gifted/talented program, but I'd expect they would still talk/interact like city-dwelling teenagers.  The awkward kid was too restrained (clearly not from Brooklyn), the confident kid wasn't cocky enough (clearly not from Brooklyn), and the girl (who the awkward kid crushes on) had no personality (again, clearly not from Brooklyn.)  I also felt that the author's narrative style, his sentence structure and his word choice, was too English.  There as nothing American about it, and when a book is set in America it needs to "feel" American.  Apparently the author (Lev Grossman) is American and from Brooklyn, so I don't know if he's trying to be sardonic and parodical in his work (like typical British dry-wit humor), but it comes off as just asinine.  At least British humor has a little "wink wink" but with this, I can't tell if it's meant to be parody or meant to be taken seriously.  It doesn't even give me the satisfaction of laughing AT it rather than WITH it and just comes off as insipid and amateurish writing. 

That being said, I would like to revisit a fantasy/magical school setting.  The Magicians seemed like it would be a good fit for me, especially since it's a college setting with older characters in more adult situations, but I can't get over the dreck writing.

So, I wondered if the show would be any better.  It was not.  The acting was completely wooden, the characters had less personality than stale unsalted rice cakes, the scripting (both the event scripting and dialogue) felt very juvenile, and the visual effects often looked chintzy.  Again, the concept of "mature Harry Potter" is nice, but if the creators' definition of maturity is simply "getting drunk, partying, hooking up, and dropping the F-bomb every other word" then I question their maturity, creativity, and savvy. 

Yet the book AND the TV show seem to get positive reviews from critics and viewers.  And a part of me is left wondering if I'm missing something here.  Whatever.  I'm not wasting any more time with poorly written drivel that is The Magicians novel nor life-sapping swill that is The Magicians TV show. 

To end on a positive note, the one thing the series (both book and TV) seems to do well is illustrating the difficulty and complexity of learning magic.  It's like learning a complex language like Mandarin Chinese where simply saying a syllable at a low vs high pitch changes its meaning.  Except these subtleties lie both in words and hand movements.  It's not just simply waving a wand and saying some Latin or Latin-esque words.

The other problem with "Mature Harry Potter" is that it already exists as "Harry Potter and the last 3 main books" (or the comedy option of J.K. Rowling's attempts at retconning the sailed ships in the most 'Maury' way possible).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 11, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
The wife and I finished up Sons of Anarchy last night. All I can say is “whew!”. Kind of glad it’s over, honestly. More and more despicable things keep happening over the course of the series, and you kind of want to see it come to a head after all that time.
Sucks that it ended the way it did… It makes sense why it had to happen, but it’s freakin’ bogus that it was basically due to the actions of one certain overbearing and selfish character. Being somewhat based on a Shakespeare play, it’s not surprising the show ended that way. Still, after having invested time and feels into the main characters, you’d like to see it end differently.
Overall, I enjoyed it. Being on for long as it was (7 seasons), there were of course some hiccups along the way. I’d almost suggest people read a synopsis of the first half of the third season, instead of actually watching it. Also, there were several times my wife and I were both like, “Where the hell are the cops?!”, but that’s how it is in these kinds of shows. The show’s music comes on a little too strong, in my opinion. That could just be because I’m not a big fan of the dirty VFW bar rock that permeates most of the series, though.
Gripes like those really are minor in the end, though. The show was very well done as a whole. Good acting, and mostly good writing. The multiple storylines tied together well. Lots of cool cameos, especially in the later seasons. Both happy and sad to see it end…

After finishing such a ‘heavy’ show, we’re going to watch something a little more light-hearted next. Not sure what it will be yet. I won’t start watching a series unless it’s over, or almost over. Don’t like waiting for new episodes.

tl;dr

Finished Sons of Anarchy. Don't agree with the ending, but I understand it. Being on as long as it was, the show is not without its flaws. However overall, I think it was well done, and my wife and I both enjoyed it. Good stuff.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 17, 2017, 10:27:10 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of the latest season of Sherlock, and the first 30 minutes of episode 3. In my opinion, episode 1 wasn't all that interesting (except for the very end, of course), and it kind of seemed like it didn't really know where it was going. ...I guess can be down with it as an informative necessity.
I thought episode 2 was much better, which had the aftermath of episode 1's ending to help kick it into a higher gear, and give it more focus. I enjoyed episode 2 very much, actually. Might be one of my favorites in the series. So far, episode 3 has proven to be interesting, but there's something about the new character.... Almost feels like a bit too ...much, if that makes any sense. Perhaps it'll even out by episode's end.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 18, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
Having now finished season 4 of Sherlock, I say that should be it. While it wasn't bad overall, Season's 4 quality seemed to be a bit lacking compared to the first 3 seasons, so I think now is the time to call it quits. The 3rd episode of the season ended well enough to have it stop there. They should let the show go out on a (mostly) high note.
My understanding is that the show's creators aren't sure if they will go for a season 5, although Benedict Cumberbatch has apparently already signed...