Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #1575 on: April 13, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »
Years after being underwhelmed by the first season of Legend of Korra, I decided to watch the second season. Was planning on doing it some time ago, but just never got around to it.

Overall I thought the season was just okay, I had a big problem with how a lot of the characters were portrayed, and I didn't care much for the villain. But there's a handful of episodes in the middle of the season that were really damn good for me and I'm definitely glad I decided to watch it.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 13, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
Tried to watch the season five premiere of Game of Thrones last night but I fell asleep due to nasty jet lag after returning to the states after spending two weeks in South Korea. Never thought I could fall asleep watching Game of Thrones, but ya... jet lag.

The controversial direction I heard this season without giving away spoilers is that the ten episode season will abandon the books somewhat. G.R.R.M. couldn't get out his upcoming book, The Winds of Winter before this season premiered, so the show will be heading into uncharted territory so to speak. I've read all the books, so I'll just have to find out what happens like all the other non-readers of the series, heh.

On a related note, I heard that the first couple of episodes leaked online last weekend. Doh! Hopefully Twitter or the blogosphere won't go nuts and spoil everything. I'll have to keep my spoiler sunglasses on so I don't get spoiled by anything.

And on a final note although not on SNL, I loved this skit Seth Meyers produced for his talk show with having Jon Snow over as a mock dinner guest. He's in character and costume in a modern day NYC condo/apt. living setting attempting to have a pleasant meal conversation with Seth's friends. Anyway, without giving away more, it's a good laugh if you'll haven't seen it. Currently has 5 million views. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabsgCQhpu4

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
My girlfriend and I started watching a new Netflix series called The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last night. The premise is that the titular character was abducted by an insane cultist and held underground in a bunker against her will with three other women while the cultist guy lies to them that the world has ended. At the start of the series they're rescued, and Kimmy decides to make a go out of it NYC and try to find the life she has lost.

Sorry, that premise makes it sound dreary and serious, but it is actually a delightfully hilarious comedy. Kimmy is stuck in the 90s, and her clueless attitude toward modern life is constantly amusing, and she has a hilarious gay roommate that has had me laughing so hard that my sides hurt. Y'all should check it out if you need a laugh.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
My girlfriend and I started watching a new Netflix series called The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last night. The premise is that the titular character was abducted by an insane cultist and held underground in a bunker against her will with three other women while the cultist guy lies to them that the world has ended. At the start of the series they're rescued, and Kimmy decides to make a go out of it NYC and try to find the life she has lost.

Sorry, that premise makes it sound dreary and serious, but it is actually a delightfully hilarious comedy. Kimmy is stuck in the 90s, and her clueless attitude toward modern life is constantly amusing, and she has a hilarious gay roommate that has had me laughing so hard that my sides hurt. Y'all should check it out if you need a laugh.

I have not seen it yet, but it stands to note that the show is also co-written by Tina Fey.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Season 4 of Louie is on Netflix and damn is it good.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
Just watched that skit from Seth Myers' show about Jon Snow at his dinner party. I feel pretty caught up on the whole of game of thrones now.

TASTY!

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 15, 2015, 12:47:10 AM »

My bf got me into this show and it is amazing. I seriously lost my shit over the whole Daddy's Boy gag, and later video.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1582 on: April 15, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »

My bf got me into this show and it is amazing. I seriously lost my shit over the whole Daddy's Boy gag, and later video.

Yeah I marathon'd it a few weeks ago when I had some killer migraines.  Put a smile on my face when I wanted to kill things or go full Akira with brain pain. 

I love Tituss Burgess voice --- it's almost melodic and absolutely perfect against the situations he's in which range from ridiculous to strange or to wearing that shirt that says "Baby Slut" while he struts away.

Jane Krakowski is basically playing 30 Rock Jenna again and that's absolutely fine.  Particularly, I love the stupid "rich person" jokes she gets.  "I donate my bath robes to homeless people with the same initials as me".

Kimmy's, daresay, unbreakable spirit is infectious and works like a cheerleader to pass on that similar 'great feeling' to the audience.  The jokes on her at the expense of the bizarre cult she was in are great. 

Can't wait for more and I swear some of this humour you can only get from someone like Tina Fey at the helm (in general I find shows have a "different flavour" when a woman is the big wig of it).
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
Wow. That Flash episode Tuesday night, "Out of Time." Absolutely crazy. Usually in most 23 episode-season run series the writers stretch out plotlines over the season. I felt like that episode had major implications for the future of the show. Without spoiling too much for RPGfans who haven't seen the show or particularly the episode aired this week we'll just say time travel will play a major role in future episodes to come. The tricky thing is how will the writers write/re-write the timeline to come without confusing and frustrating fans of the show and comic with having to keep track of timelines. Also, with the recently announced The Flash/Arrow spinoff... I wonder if they'll try to resolve plotlines there. Although... who knows when they'll film it and release the pilot episode.

This has become one of my favorite shows. It is amazing. I am super excited to see Captain Cold in the new show since he one of the characters spinning off. He is played amazingly well in this iteration. A bad guy with an interesting set of values and a code. Will he be an unlikely hero in the new show as he is in the comics at times, or will they continue to make him a villain?

Also something I am curious about-

Code: [Select]
Will Caitlin become Killer Frost at some point since Caitlin Snow is one of the people that has been Killer Frost through the years in the comics?
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 15, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
Wow. That Flash episode Tuesday night, "Out of Time." Absolutely crazy. Usually in most 23 episode-season run series the writers stretch out plotlines over the season. I felt like that episode had major implications for the future of the show. Without spoiling too much for RPGfans who haven't seen the show or particularly the episode aired this week we'll just say time travel will play a major role in future episodes to come. The tricky thing is how will the writers write/re-write the timeline to come without confusing and frustrating fans of the show and comic with having to keep track of timelines. Also, with the recently announced The Flash/Arrow spinoff... I wonder if they'll try to resolve plotlines there. Although... who knows when they'll film it and release the pilot episode.

This has become one of my favorite shows. It is amazing. I am super excited to see Captain Cold in the new show since he one of the characters spinning off. He is played amazingly well in this iteration. A bad guy with an interesting set of values and a code. Will he be an unlikely hero in the new show as he is in the comics at times, or will they continue to make him a villain?

Also something I am curious about-

Code: [Select]
Will Caitlin become Killer Frost at some point since Caitlin Snow is one of the people that has been Killer Frost through the years in the comics?
Answer to the code...Yes according to interviews, and as soon as the end of this season we may see it develop.

TASTY!

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 16, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »

Yeah I marathon'd it a few weeks ago when I had some killer migraines.  Put a smile on my face when I wanted to kill things or go full Akira with brain pain. 

I love Tituss Burgess voice --- it's almost melodic and absolutely perfect against the situations he's in which range from ridiculous to strange or to wearing that shirt that says "Baby Slut" while he struts away.

Jane Krakowski is basically playing 30 Rock Jenna again and that's absolutely fine.  Particularly, I love the stupid "rich person" jokes she gets.  "I donate my bath robes to homeless people with the same initials as me".

Kimmy's, daresay, unbreakable spirit is infectious and works like a cheerleader to pass on that similar 'great feeling' to the audience.  The jokes on her at the expense of the bizarre cult she was in are great. 

Can't wait for more and I swear some of this humour you can only get from someone like Tina Fey at the helm (in general I find shows have a "different flavour" when a woman is the big wig of it).

We finished the first season last night and I loved every minute of it! Usually it seems to me like the writers and producers of a show don't really have a feel for the characters and their progression in the first season, and usually don't get a grasp on it until the 2nd season. Outside of maybe the first two episodes, I really didn't get that feeling at all with this show. I found the characters all likable and their progression natural.

That, and it's just damned funny as hell! I laughed so hard my stomach hurt at least once per episode!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 17, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
So watched last week's episode of Agents of Shield yesterday (I'm a week behind because Hulu). I have really been enjoying this season of Agents of Shield. Although I have to admit that the "villians" for the season do have a point in that Shield does need some kind of oversight....although I think having five random agents be that oversight is kind of no better of a solution.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
So watched last week's episode of Agents of Shield yesterday (I'm a week behind because Hulu). I have really been enjoying this season of Agents of Shield. Although I have to admit that the "villians" for the season do have a point in that Shield does need some kind of oversight....although I think having five random agents be that oversight is kind of no better of a solution.

I just personally love the whole "We need to make SHIELD more transparent. Do away with the secrets and lies. And we're going to achieve this goal by sending out undercover operatives from our secret aircraft carrier."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:55:06 AM by Klutz64 »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

I just personally love the whole "We need to make SHIELD more transparent. Do away with the secrets and lies. And we're going to achieve this goal by sending out undercover operatives from our secret aircraft carrier."

All EJO wants is to make sure there aren't any Cylons lurking in their ranks (fortunately, last season's Diviner took care of one of them).

But yeah, it seems like they may be treating Baharine (or however its spelled), as the Movie-verse's flashpoint for the Civil War arc (and bonus points if they can get Spider-Man involved with that since he had a fairly prominent role in that story arc in the comics). And speaking of, more bonus points for actually making a Chinese knock-off of Xavier's School for Gifted Individuals.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
Years after being underwhelmed by the first season of Legend of Korra, I decided to watch the second season. Was planning on doing it some time ago, but just never got around to it.

Overall I thought the season was just okay, I had a big problem with how a lot of the characters were portrayed, and I didn't care much for the villain. But there's a handful of episodes in the middle of the season that were really damn good for me and I'm definitely glad I decided to watch it.

Weird, I always thought the first season of the Legend of Korra was the best.  I get that people can get sick of the racism angle.  But I really liked how, even though his methods are a bit shady to say the least, I ended up sympathizing with Amon and the equalists (or at least what they were supposed to have stood for) almost to the point that I was rooting for them to fuck up their bending overlords by the end.  I actually wished they'd have delved more into bender/non-bender relations even more than what they did, but maybe that's too much to ask from 12 episodes of what is ostensibly a children's show.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"