Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #2025 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
Castlevania - Perfection.  My only gripes are that there are only 4 episodes in the first season and everyone seems to be talking ridiculously fast for no apparent reason.  Almost like they sped up the audio to save time.  Everything else was all I'd hope it would be and I haven't been as legitimately giddy about a TV show since they brought back Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
Castlevania - Perfection.  My only gripes are that there are only 4 episodes in the first season and everyone seems to be talking ridiculously fast for no apparent reason.  Almost like they sped up the audio to save time.  Everything else was all I'd hope it would be and I haven't been as legitimately giddy about a TV show since they brought back Mystery Science Theater 3000.
I mentioned this in the anime thread, but yeah, this is exactly what a castlevania show should be. The bar fight scene dragged on a bit but everything else was spot on, and Trevor Oakenshield has the best dialogue, even though playing most of the other castlevanias that include him portray him as much more serious and devout. Great hour and half worth of tv, definitely eager for season 2.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »
I mentioned this in the anime thread, but yeah, this is exactly what a castlevania show should be. The bar fight scene dragged on a bit but everything else was spot on, and Trevor Oakenshield has the best dialogue, even though playing most of the other castlevanias that include him portray him as much more serious and devout. Great hour and half worth of tv, definitely eager for season 2.

^ wait. Does Castlevania count as anime?  I thought something had to come from Japan in order to be considered "anime".   Like champagne not being from that region in France being legally referred to as "sparkling wine".

And even if you accept my confused and convoluted definition of what constitutes as anime, Castlevania is even murkier still because even though the original dialogue , storyline and artwork for this particular work came from the US, the source material is very much from Japan.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »
Fuggit, put it in both, it's that fucking awesome!

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
So, I've watched the first 6 episodes of new sci-fi series Dark Matter on Netflix.  Anyone given this one a shot?  It's a really palatable blend of Star Trek and Firefly, and it has just enough life in the script and characters to give it hooks.  It is also rife with lore and mystery, and it spreads out its reveals at such a perfect pace that it's got to be one of the most binge-able shows I've watched in a while.

I rather like what they're going with with the main character, Two, but I still think she's the weakest character so far.  She's the only part of the whole thing that really feels "tryhard".

Anyways, if anyone likes sci-fi, you could do much worse than this.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
I was just told today to watch Dark Matter actually...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
Give it a shot.  I'm an easy critic, but I'm never bored watching it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2032 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
I do enjoy Shark Week on Discovery Channel.  Sharks are perhaps my #2 favorite animal after snakes. 

So, yeah, I watched that Phelps vs. Shark thing.  Because I had a labial frenectomy done at the periodontist yesterday, I've been told "no working out for two days" so this was on today when I'd probably be working out.  When I saw the commercials for it, I scoffed at it, thinking it would be totally stupid.  I was like, "Why?  A Great White's top speed is 25mph and Phelps' is about 6-8.  This fool's errand is going to be a trainwreck."  I remember once some radio show did a call in of "Who would win in a fight- Mike Tyson or a tiger?"  Obviously a freaking tiger.  Even if a tiger just playfully swats at you like your pet cat does, it will likely hospitalize you because the thing is 600 pounds of muscle, teeth, and claws. 

But in spite of myself, I kinda enjoyed Phelps vs. Shark.  It was cool seeing the ways the scientists attempted to get data on the sharks, taking into account cruising speed, burst speed (when lunging at prey), and trying to account for the fact that sharks don't swim in straight lines.  It was also cool seeing Phelps getting so excited to learn about sharks, get into the cage in Great White infested waters, and by the end of it all gaining a newfound respect and admiration for these animals wanting to be a shark advocate.

Collecting data on sharks cannot be easy.  I still don't believe that a crocodile's bite strength is greater than a Great White shark's.  Crocodiles are easier for scientists to access and do those kinds of experiments on, so I 100% believe that their bite strength is about 3,500 psi.  Sharks on the other hand... they're permanently in the water so accounting for water's buoyancy, the fact you can't really manipulate a shark to cooperate, and the fact that 99% of shark bites to humans are just curious nips and not legit predatory bites... I think the jury is still out on the true bite strength of an apex marine predator that's a noticeably larger animal on average, because the technology to collect that data under the shark's unique environmental conditions hasn't been as fully developed.   

I point and laugh at all the idiots petulantly whinging on the Internet about how it was all "fake" in that the races were computer simulated rather than having Phelps in one lane and a live shark in the other.  If you actually believed that it would be Phelps racing a literal shark out in the ocean, then you are too gullible to be on the Internet in the first place. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:41:39 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
having Phelps in one lane and a live shark in the other

I refuse to believe anyone over the age of 16 believed this would be a thing that could happen.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2034 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Believe it, Arvis.  Google "Twitter reactions to Phelps vs Shark" and you'll either laugh, cry, or facepalm at how gullible people are.  People honestly thought that Phelps would literally race a live Great White Shark from point A to point B. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:42:49 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 28, 2017, 03:29:09 AM »
Game of Thrones.

Euron.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 09, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
@Dincrest - A coworker of mine mentioned that he was ticked that Phelps wasn't racing a real shark.  I am appalled at the lack of common sense some intelligent people are capable of.

@Annubis - have you tried Dark Matter yet?

I have finished up the second season of Dark Matter, which was amazing.  My only complaint is that they killed off a major character and I'm not sure why.  It was the same character that a lot of the fanbase complained said was "annoying" and didn't like, so I can't shake the feeling that they did it just because this particular character was unpopular.  If that is the reason, I don't like it.  Still, they managed to turn it into some mighty fine storytelling moments.

I have now begun the second season of Poldark.  I don't suppose there are too many fans of British drama here?

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2037 on: August 09, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »
@Dincrest - A coworker of mine mentioned that he was ticked that Phelps wasn't racing a real shark.  I am appalled at the lack of common sense some intelligent people are capable of.

Time to break out that old idiom: If you bought the idea that Phelps was going to race head-to-head against a real shark, then I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:50:36 PM by Dincrest »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 13, 2017, 11:20:52 PM »
@Annubis - have you tried Dark Matter yet?

I have finished up the second season of Dark Matter, which was amazing.  My only complaint is that they killed off a major character and I'm not sure why.  It was the same character that a lot of the fanbase complained said was "annoying" and didn't like, so I can't shake the feeling that they did it just because this particular character was unpopular.  If that is the reason, I don't like it.  Still, they managed to turn it into some mighty fine storytelling moments.

I have now begun the second season of Poldark.  I don't suppose there are too many fans of British drama here?

@Arvis  Yes, I did in fact.

I agree with what you said about the character. It's so out of nowhere that it feels like the actor had scheduling problems or something external and they had to get rid of his character asap.

Season 1 was fine but I had many gripes with season 2.

The mystery being over makes the plot a lot less captivating.
Too few characters. There's basically only 4 character with any airtime in most of season 2 as 2 of the main characters get snubbed all the time.
Even the new characters they try and introduce never quite feel like they are really part of the team.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 21, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
I'm with you on pretty much all of that, Annubis.  While the plot and storytelling stays strong, it never hits the sweet perfection of Season 1 and everything starts to feel more.... manufactured, if that makes sense.

Still eager to start Season 3 at some point, though.  Probably not until it hits Netflix.