Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #2040 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »
Watched Orville despite it being yet another MacFarlen vehicle for fart jokes and social commentary. Felt like watching a live action episode of Family Guy in Space, especially the part where it was never really funny (maybe worth a chuckle or three, but mostly groans). Unfortunately, from the trailers I've seen of Discovery, this is probably going to be the superior Discount-Star Trek series this fall, especially since this does occasionally take itself seriously at times.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
Unfortunately, from the trailers I've seen of Discovery, this is probably going to be the superior Discount-Star Trek series this fall, especially since this does occasionally take itself seriously at times.

That.... I hate to be negative or buy into Internet Outrage, but that's sort of how I am feeling about Discovery, too.  I don't know what to make of it, and there just seems to be one head-scratching decision after another with it.  While The Orville looks honestly much more true to the spirit of Trek, only with a focus on comedy.

Still, I haven't seen either one, so I'll check out Orville ASAP.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
Unfortunately, from the trailers I've seen of Discovery, this is probably going to be the superior Discount-Star Trek series this fall, especially since this does occasionally take itself seriously at times.

That.... I hate to be negative or buy into Internet Outrage, but that's sort of how I am feeling about Discovery, too.  I don't know what to make of it, and there just seems to be one head-scratching decision after another with it.  While The Orville looks honestly much more true to the spirit of Trek, only with a focus on comedy.

Still, I haven't seen either one, so I'll check out Orville ASAP.

My opinion on Discovery is that lore-wise, its set basically right before Kirk and Spock do their thing in OG Trek, which already runs into two problems, the first being that its been done with Enterprise (which had its own share of issues plaguing that series until its final cancellation) and the second being that its also occupied time with that Christopher Pike fellow (who also had this Science Officer coincidentally named Spock; although he wasn't the First Officer at that point).

Character-wise, the MC was a human raised and trained by Vulcans which is going to be interesting given the fact that the Vulcans weren't terribly big on their opinion of Humans outside of logical need (and in turn, why the hell did a pair of Vulcans raise a Human in the first place, I'm pretty sure the Federation was big enough at the time to be able to deliver a child back to the nearest Star Base or Colony or something or that a search party might have bothered to spend some time trying to track her and the rest of her ship's crew down or something).

And then Tech-wise, everything looked more Star Wars-y rather than Star Trek-y with a lot of single purpose tech like all the displays at the end of A New Hope that was tracking the Death Star's approach and firing range or the Targeting Computer (its low-fi enough for this one to get away with it) or the Rebel Base's battle plan 'display'. A good example of this being when the ship comes under attack by Klingons, the tactical display gets swamped with Klingon Empire symbols that are far too large to pinpoint any ship's location, nevermind the scenario where the ship comes under attack by, lets say, Romulans instead (or literally anything else). Do they also have to unscrew the Yellow Alert Bulb and replace it with the Red Alert Bulb before they can go to Red Alert? Even TNG was better about it than that, and they only had one bathroom on their entire ship.

Unfortunately, Orville isn't really looking a whole hell of a lot better (and in fact it could be worse as the 'Riding the Donkey' scene demonstrated since the Orville actually manages to demonstrably show itself to have two major advantages over the enemy vessel, one being the general limitation that both ships have with needing to face forward to fire their weapons and the second being the Orville's ability to pass through the enemy ship's structural kibble without incurring damage, return fire or shield collisions; the Orville could've simply parked itself within the enemy ship's rear end and plinked it to death; too bad the show was too busy making a rather weak joke to notice or care (although one could attribute it to the Orville being staffed by idiots; the crew of even the Voyager, these people ain't)).

I suppose this is the season to see the Sci-fi genre's race to the bottom in terms of quality (all we need now is an Irwin Allen style Monster-of-the-Week series and we'd hit peak awful for this generation; too bad Grimm has already come and gone; although we are not lacking for procedural crime-scene investigation dramas with crappy gimmicks).

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 14, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »
Like with most things I've kept myself mostly in the dark on STD (okay yeah the proper abbreviation will likely be DIS or something, but did they really expect that level of maturity from the Internets when they came up with that title), so all I know of it is from a couple trailers I've seen, the basic premise, and that parts of the story are influenced by current events.

Not much to say on that last point since that's just like...kind of what I expect from Trek, but I was unimpressed with the trailers I saw. I know it's a tired point and probably unrealistic to want what Trek used to be, but Discovery doesn't really "feel" like Trek going just off the trailers. I really don't understand why they went with the whole prequel angle if they wanted to reintroduce the franchise to a new audience- it'd make a lot more sense to do another jump several decades into the future like TNG did, it would let them dodge cries of bad continuity from super nerds not only in regards to more appropriate tech reflective of the modern day, you also don't have to deal with the clusterfuck of events taking place before TNG (and you get to distance yourself from Enterprise, which is always a positive). Plus newer Trek fans probably have seen the Abrams movies so they at least know about Romulus getting blown to bits by magic black holes.

I guess I'd still still give it a chance since pretty much every Trek series had a lousy start. Plus ultimately the "spirit" of Trek is the exploration of humanity and all that and any nitpicking I do with continuity would just be that. I've heard some weird conflicting things on this, but if I'm not mistaken Nicholas Meyer is still on board the show, so that does inspire some faith from me.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
Bottom line for me is that I'll be watching no matter what.  But if they do anything really super dumb, then I'm out.  But I refuse to be that moron that won't even inform his own decision to boycott.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 24, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
Bottom line for me is that I'll be watching no matter what.  But if they do anything really super dumb, then I'm out.  But I refuse to be that moron that won't even inform his own decision to boycott.

How's this for really super dumb, MC: "Oh hey, its the Klingons. Quickly, kill them with fire!" Current Captain: "We will not start war! Let us seek peace through understanding at any cost." MC: "Hell with that, Winter's Coming bitch!" *Vulcan Neck Pinches Captain* "Alright everyone, stop arguing with me and light 'em up!" CC: "Belay that! Also your Vulcan Neck Pinch-fu is weak. Also also, you're under arrest." MC: "Huh. We don't have even one Shuttlecraft or anything resembling recording technology but we have a chain of command. Who knew?" Guy who came from planet with no pecking order and descended from livestock: "You know, we could've just ran for it at the first sign of trouble." MC & CC: "RUN FROM BATTLE!? NEVAR!!!" *both sides summons a dozen ships each* "BLARG!!!" Scott Bacula: "Hey, taking a break from 'NCIS: Miami' to remind everyone that 'Star Trek: Enterprise' existed, and is pretty much a better show than this thing, despite literally starting off with a Cold War involving Time Travel."

If this show had some nudity and the occasional space dragon, you could literally call it Game of Trek given the way they're trying to take the rest of it.

Also, they literally started the show by having the MC and her CC draw a fucking Starfleet insignia with their footprints in the sand during a sandstorm.

Also also, seriously. No shuttlecrafts. WTF are they thinking? Even Abrams Trek had shuttlecrafts. Instead, they just stuff first officers into form-fitting space suits equipped with what I'm hoping is a Scan Visor (instead of just having the MC launch into a random technobabble spiel based upon like 3 seconds of observation alone) and launch them into a radiation field that'll kill them in 20 minutes (although 19 minutes and 59 seconds just means spending a few hours in the medi-sauna with absolutely no side-effects whatsoever), so that they can do hand-to-hand combat with a random Klingon of one of the 24 houses of Westeros Klingonros, just because they can, and because the effects team couldn't even spring for a box with nacells attached to it.

Really Fucking Super Dumb Edit: "Our sensors can't identify this anomaly." *runs into the ready room to gaze at the view screen with a goddamn telescope* "Oh! That's some kind of spacial disturbance."

Moment of the fucking show right there (better comedy than even Orville's Happy Arbor Day/You got Wood at least).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:09:26 AM by Aeolus »

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:28 PM »
Watched the pilot episode of Discovery. Thought it was good, but it's hard to know it takes place ten years before the original series, unless some big technological dark age occurs before then.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 25, 2017, 01:25:56 AM »
Watched the pilot episode of Discovery. Thought it was good, but it's hard to know it takes place ten years before the original series, unless some big technological dark age occurs before then.

Or that it also takes place ten years after Enterprise, unless Admiral No Name Given (but lets be honest, that's totally Archer) cryofroze himself for about 240 years. :V

Did they at least mention that its also set in the Mirror Mirror-verse? Because I didn't really care for the show reinforcing the idea of American Imperialism, especially in a season with not one, but two other Militarism Exploration shows (with one more being focused upon American Heroes PTSD), on top of the whole "Optimism for humankind's future" theme the series, that this show is trying to piggyback on, is known for.

Actually, a lot of CBS's programming this year seems focused on shows that exemplify authoritarian organizations. From the political dramas that managed to survive last year's culling, to portraying the Amber Alert system in a hyper-competent Big Brother sort of way, to a show about the honor, dignity and general badassery of a SWAT team, among other programs.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
You guys gots-ta use dem spoiler tags, yo

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
Saw the Star Trek Discovery premiere and thought it was...good. Nothing great, but I enjoyed it enough. I'm gonna have to see more episodes before passing any sort of judgment on the show, but given past Trek openings I think this is certainly one of the better ones. But like I said before, most of the Trek shows had really bad first episodes- only Emissary was better than this one IMO.

Had some very different reactions to various situations in the episodes from you, Aeolus.

Spoiler: show
As far as turning tail and running, I assume that was a non-starter because of the civilian outposts in the area. I do agree that it was likely a mistake to show that the "correct" solution would've been to be aggressive assholes and firing on the Klingons, but I'm not entirely sure that was the intent here. I think that once again, Trek writers can't get over fucking Star Trek 2 and were trying to invoke memories of the Kobayashi Maru again. There's no ship in distress, but it was arguably a no-win scenario: even without the benefit of foresight (since we know the war is going happen in-canon) I don't think the Klingons, with as jingoistic as they were depicted, would've responded to aggression any better than perceived weakness. Speaking of which, reeeallll subtle social commentary with them here talking about racial purity and the threat of multiculturalism.

My biggest issue might've been with how apparently easy it was to unite the Klingon factions but maybe they'll expand on that, who knows.

The Starfleet insignia in the sand was pretty dumb, but I got over it.

I'm indifferent to the lack of shuttlecrafts, although I admit I'm a bit biased after my experience with Voyager where it was always laughable how they would blow up a shuttlecraft every other week when they were supposedly struggling to survive (but then again that was also the same show that simultaneously had the holodeck running 24/7 so you could always walk in and live out your fantasy life banging every supermodel ever before returning to your room where the toaster wouldn't run).

Lethality of radiation does increase kinda exponentially the longer you're exposed, so I don't have too much of an issue with that part. I'm sure people have already made numerous jokes about how Spock should've just walked to sickbay afterwards but Michael had a full suit on whereas Spock put on some oven mitts before going to work so I'll just handwave that.

I actually thought the telescope bit was kinda clever, in that I do sometimes run into things at work where sophisticated testing methods ends up missing things that can be caught with someone just taking 5 minutes out to look at a sample under a microscope, but I'm not one of those hyper nerds familiar with Trek tech so I'm guessing someone can list to me all the ways the scene was nonsense.

But I guess the biggest question here is, "is this Trek"? Just going by this one episode, I would say no. There wasn't really any exploration, just set up for what will likely be the season's plot arc. Of course a lot of people didn't seem to have an issue with Enterprise doing the same sort of thing (if anything, it was the "Trek-like" episodes that show did that were god-awful, like that episode where Trip essentially get raped and they sit around cracking jokes about it for an hour). But I think they were setting up a pretty obvious "globalism vs nationalism" metaphor in there, which is certainly a very Trek thing to be doing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:34:49 AM by Hathen »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 28, 2017, 09:51:35 PM »
Saw the Star Trek Discovery premiere and thought it was...good. Nothing great, but I enjoyed it enough. I'm gonna have to see more episodes before passing any sort of judgment on the show, but given past Trek openings I think this is certainly one of the better ones. But like I said before, most of the Trek shows had really bad first episodes- only Emissary was better than this one IMO.

Had some very different reactions to various situations in the episodes from you, Aeolus.

As far as turning tail and running, I assume that was a non-starter because of the civilian outposts in the area. I do agree that it was likely a mistake to show that the "correct" solution would've been to be aggressive assholes and firing on the Klingons, but I'm not entirely sure that was the intent here. I think that once again, Trek writers can't get over fucking Star Trek 2 and were trying to invoke memories of the Kobayashi Maru again. There's no ship in distress, but it was arguably a no-win scenario: even without the benefit of foresight (since we know the war is going happen in-canon) I don't think the Klingons, with as jingoistic as they were depicted, would've responded to aggression any better than perceived weakness. Speaking of which, reeeallll subtle social commentary with them here talking about racial purity and the threat of multiculturalism.

My biggest issue might've been with how apparently easy it was to unite the Klingon factions but maybe they'll expand on that, who knows.

The Starfleet insignia in the sand was pretty dumb, but I got over it.

I'm indifferent to the lack of shuttlecrafts, although I admit I'm a bit biased after my experience with Voyager where it was always laughable how they would blow up a shuttlecraft every other week when they were supposedly struggling to survive (but then again that was also the same show that simultaneously had the holodeck running 24/7 so you could always walk in and live out your fantasy life banging every supermodel ever before returning to your room where the toaster wouldn't run).

Lethality of radiation does increase kinda exponentially the longer you're exposed, so I don't have too much of an issue with that part. I'm sure people have already made numerous jokes about how Spock should've just walked to sickbay afterwards but Michael had a full suit on whereas Spock put on some oven mitts before going to work so I'll just handwave that.

I actually thought the telescope bit was kinda clever, in that I do sometimes run into things at work where sophisticated testing methods ends up missing things that can be caught with someone just taking 5 minutes out to look at a sample under a microscope, but I'm not one of those hyper nerds familiar with Trek tech so I'm guessing someone can list to me all the ways the scene was nonsense.

But I guess the biggest question here is, "is this Trek"? Just going by this one episode, I would say no. There wasn't really any exploration, just set up for what will likely be the season's plot arc. Of course a lot of people didn't seem to have an issue with Enterprise doing the same sort of thing (if anything, it was the "Trek-like" episodes that show did that were god-awful, like that episode where Trip essentially get raped and they sit around cracking jokes about it for an hour). But I think they were setting up a pretty obvious "globalism vs nationalism" metaphor in there, which is certainly a very Trek thing to be doing.

That's pretty much the crux of my problem with this show. This isn't so much 'Star Trek' as it is 'Game of Trek' where its a lot more political with wheeling and dealing between major political factions (with plenty of sideroom deals on the side) in between sweeping conflicts between military superpowers, versus the 'optimism for humanity's future' that the series largely followed. Now granted we really haven't seen much of the betrayals and intrigue yet due to only having 40 minutes of broadcast to dissect, but just the way that the show carried itself with its sound-alike opening and starting on both a mutiny and a major military conflict (when both sides are fielding the better part of a dozen ships apiece, that's a major ass battle in Trek terms) while the Klingons are going on about their 24 houses recently uniting to tear down the universe, they really aren't trying to hide some of their major influences really well.

Another major influence seems to be the current political situation between the US and whichever country is harassing US that week and especially ISIS and the like which seems to be who the Klingons are representing this time around. Hence the emphasis the show seems to make towards the idea of 'doing the right thing sometimes means taking the shot and living with the consequences' versus the idea of 'stand there talking sweet nothings while the bad guys run roughshod over you and all that you hold dear' or in layman's terms 'shoot first and ask questions later' versus 'do nothing and let the bad guys win'. Its the kind of problem solving that's employed by more pro-militaristic mindsets which tend towards the line of thinking that 'you cannot safely deal with an unknown without risking them stabbing you in the gut, its better to achieve peace through strength of arms where any stabbing motion will be met with immediate and devastating consequences'.

Now granted, even OG Star Trek occasionally had Kirk resort to that line of thinking (the Enterprise and Starfleet were more or less modeled after the US Navy in regards to its operations and Kirk tended towards a more military line of thinking, but was generally open-minded enough to opt for other solutions if the opportunity arose), but almost every time Kirk went down that road, he was either met with a superior force that required a more indirect solution, usually diplomacy or a way to neutralize that advantage, or ditched that option altogether due to a better one presenting itself.

The real problem is that the setup of the first episode is basically the 'prior' to the start of Discovery's voyage, and the main crew sans the current(ly doomed) Captain are going to transfer to the bigger, better and bestest ship of the Starfleet, with the current first officer (and very much the main character of the show) getting promoted to Captain of this proud vessel. The very same first officer who's got a couple of massive chips on her shoulders (human survivor of a Klingon massacre and raised as a Vulcan), recklessly threw herself into harms way for little to no real gain beyond trying to prove herself (by going out into the radiation field and finding and battling a Klingon to the death), betrayed her captain/friend/mentor via mutiny, and all for the sake of launching an immediate and devastating attack on the enemy vessel (admittedly due to the fact that their ship is the Star Trek equivalent of a garbage scow and they were about to get Kobayashi Maru'd hard). Meanwhile the show itself has basically done as much as it could to vindicate the first officer's actions by her calling in for an unbiased second opinion, repeated warnings to the captain, and of course the behind the scenes view of the Klingons and their Jihadist ways (with the ship decorations being particularly lol-worthy), while basically setting up the Captain's more 'conventional' efforts as tone deaf, misguided, obstinate, weak and ultimately 'totally wrong' because she's not making a lethal strike against a hostile but still relatively unknown force. There's basically no real way to pivot this in any other direction without taking some kind of crazy third option, and the show hasn't been particularly keen on providing one either (especially when factoring in the rest of the 'quality' of the show).

As for the Telescope thing, I admit I wasn't paying the most attention to detail on that portion of the show due to my disbelief at the exchanges up to that point, so I'm not entirely sure as to whether the Telescope was pointed out of window or at the viewscreen/a monitor. If in case of the former, then it's not an entirely goofy thing despite the fact that their atmosphere entering starship has a bunch of window panes to point telescopes out of (because brittle glass is totally a good idea to build a battle capable interstellar vehicle out of; or to toss stones around in apparently). If in the case of the latter, then its incredibly stupid because a Telescope is useless on digital displays (namely because all you're zooming in on is the image being presented by the monitor/viewscreen, its like viewing your computer monitor through binoculars, all you're going to see is the exact same mess of pixels that your monitor/viewscreen is showing you at the same resolution because all you've done is made the pixels larger).

As for the Shuttlecraft, I propose a counter-question. Which do you think is the more technologically difficult/impressive feat? Building a miniaturized Space Shuttle (like the ones NASA used to use) that can enter and escape planetary atmospheres, or a device that can disassemble matter at the molecular level, teleporting said matter across any meaningful distance, usually through solid objects like ships hulls and building walls or crazy subspace interference among other myriad factors, with enough accuracy to not embed any matter into a solid object, and reassemble said matter into its original form and function without any loss of data or capability on a regular basis (with the admissible freak accident on the off occasion that leads to a Mirror Mirror-verse, regressed aging, cloning, etc), and to often do so with the entirety of the tech located at only one end of the equation (without much if any tech assistance on the other)? Now how about Probes versus Transporters? Or Shuttlecrafts versus Planetary Entering/Escaping Thruster Equipped Starships? You don't need to be versed in Trek lore to spot this one. Admittedly, yes, Voyager really abused its endless supplies to ridiculous extent, but using Voyager's stupidity to excuse Discovery's stupidity is not a particularly good sign (especially when said Voyager and Enterprise stupidity was what killed off Star Trek a second time).

At least I'm glad that we agree on the point that the desert insignia was dumb but not really worth arguing about.

The tl;dr is that this show should've been its own thing because this isn't your parents Star Trek and definitely not your grandparent's Star Trek, and is in fact, the exact opposite of the latter, betraying the very spirit of the show its taking its namesake from.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 30, 2017, 03:58:47 AM »
I was mostly just being glib about the shuttlecraft thing. It's not something I really thought much of at the time, but yeah, it is pretty odd that they just plain didn't have any. I mean you could probably think of any number of reasons they didn't have any (maybe they just finished having a few Voyager-style adventures of their own already, durr hurr) but it's ultimately a pretty thin way of justify firing a guy in a spacesuit at an unknown object.

Also maybe I missed it in the preview, but I don't believe they showed that Michael was being set up as a future Captain? I suppose it's possible given that they're setting up a rather obvious redemption story for her, but for the moment this seems to be more of a Tom Paris situation where rogue Captain dude is going to take her on because she has some skill everyone else lacks.

As for influences of the show, while ISIS would certainly be a fit for what the Klingons represent, I believe the writers straight up said that the 2016 elections influenced their writing for the show, and they did their whole slacktivism thing by kneeling the day of the premiere, so I'll just throw out the tiptoeing and say that the Klingons are representing White supremacists. Not like it's the least bit subtle, I think they even literally had one say the term "Klingon supremacy" at one point. It's probably why you have alt-right trolls flooding the comment section of anything related to this show and making it unpleasant to have any actual discussion on it. (My favorites are the ones who go on about how "SJWs have ruined Star Trek" even though Gene Roddenberry was pretty much the original SJW who wanted minorities on his show because basically nobody else did)

I'll understand if you don't really want to continue discussing it down this road, but making points about modern politics is certainly something very much Trek IMO. All I have to really say there is that I do believe there certainly do exist forces, both in the context of Trek and without, where negotiation will not work, at least not in an immediate sense. Within the context of the show, the admiral even tried to negotiate after the Klingons attacked first. I don't think it's too hard to make the connection to some of the things you heard being said by people today.

But that does bring us back to the problem of them making this a prequel- their hands are tied as to where this will end up. We know the Federation will only get a shaky ceasefire after a few years and won't make peace with the Klingons until The Undiscovered Country. If they wanted to end the conflict on the hopeful note Trek is known for, they would have to have the show span ~40 years of the timeline or have some awkward flash forward at the end.

As for the general structure of the show, my hope is that the show is taking a DS9 route in that it'll have "classic style" Trek episodes in between episodes about the Klingon War. I don't believe the latter is incapable of meshing with the Trek vision, but it depends on where they take it. I feel that idea especially shouldn't be coming out of the mouths of anyone who accepts DS9 as a Trek show- though I know lots of people still don't.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: October 02, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
Wow. @Aeolus wrote many many words and managed to be right about... basically nothing.  Very unusual for him and also kind of impressive.  Having seen the first two episodes myself finally, I really think that if he had just spouted off several paragraphs of text blind, without having watched anything, he might have done better than he did having just "watched" (and I use that term loosely) the first episode.

As for my own impressions:
I was very impressed with both the spectacle of the 2 episodes, as well as the "twist" at the end of them: that both episodes were all backstory and the show proper will begin with episode 3.  Most other shows would start with what we'll get in 3 and slowly, over the course of a season or a few episodes, reveal the events that we got to see in totality in Episodes 1 and 2.  A very neat storytelling idea, and it meant they got to frontload their budget a bit.

Regarding the actual plot itself, I'm not sure yet.  It *is* a bit heavy-handed with the politics, but that doesn't mean it won't build its own identity as it goes.  And the characters (those we've met, at least) are pretty strong.  I already miss Captain Georgiou already, though.

But the Klingons are terrible and overdone and there's no getting around it.  During literally everything involving them I just couldn't stop this one thoughtfrom cropping up over and over: "Man, how cool would this be if these aliens looked like Klingons?"

Hopefully I'll be watching Episode 3 in a matter of hours.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
Rewatching Curb Your Enthusiasm in preparation for diving into season 9.  Larry David is a genius on par with Anthony Hopkins for acting or David Lynch for filmmaking or Thom Yorke for music.  Though I don't suppose his many many many idiosyncrasies have ever allowed him to enjoy his success.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: October 02, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
Just saw Episode 3 of Star Trek Discovery.  It's kind of turning into a Star Trek show now, but not completely.  However, I will say that it's mostly the presentation that makes it feel different.  TNG > DS9 > VOY is hundreds and hundreds of hours of television that all basically have the same presentation palette, if you will.  This looks and sounds nothing like them, so it makes the plot and dialogue feel a bit alien as well.  But, as of Episode 3, the writing is definitely taking a sharp turn toward Trek and away from Abrams.