Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 85671 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »

Yeah, sent in a cancellation request to Green Man Gaming and probably should've shared that when I learned of it. It's downgraded to being the same as the best console version of a modern game: it has a solid advantage, but not one that's worth rebuying the game for if you got the "wrong version".

Though I have to admit I won't be too heartbroken if the request doesn't pan out, game's still amazing and as long as there aren't other serious issues plus it's still the DLC content and a more consistent FPS.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not even proper 720p, that'd be 1280x720 rather than 1024x720. Enjoy that vaguely stretched look to the game's image! Also, it was like that on both console versions so if anyone was wondering why it didn't look quite as sharp as Demon's Souls that'd be why.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:37:54 PM by Eusis » Logged
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: August 16, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »

that new trailer is pretty sexy. so excited.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

Locked at 30FPS, 720p resolution. On the other hand, looks like Blight Town is fixed. So even if it isn't perfect, still looks like the definitive version. Plus, PC modders will patch out the 30fps limit and possibly even iron out resolution issues.

... GFWL. -_-

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just get it on the PC then I guess. I am disappoint on the resolution though.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1008 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »

I'm really confident if you wait a few weeks there will be reso fixes, so it might nit be a lost cause!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »

I'm really confident if you wait a few weeks there will be reso fixes, so it might nit be a lost cause!

This will probably be a bit more problematic however, because of the GFWL aspect it may be "Play online, or play with custom resolutions". If something like Batman Arkham City had done this, well, fuck it, achievements are at times one of the most obnoxious gaming trends anyway.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »

so ive been doing some research trying to see the appeal of this game and im not seeing it.it seems like its being praised for what i would call bullshit game design.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »

so ive been doing some research trying to see the appeal of this game and im not seeing it.it seems like its being praised for what i would call bullshit game design.

It's got world design more akin to Super Metroid than the modern super linear or super open games, and requires actually being careful and mindful of your surroundings. It's not even that hard, and depending on how you eased difficulty it'd still be an amazing game.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »

It's got world design more akin to Super Metroid than the modern super linear or super open games, and requires actually being careful and mindful of your surroundings. It's not even that hard, and depending on how you eased difficulty it'd still be an amazing game.

when people say metroidvania i think that pretty much nails it. neither of those games held your hand. dark souls is pretty much the same way in that if you go a certain way your not ready for you get trounced. it has that old school sensibility and a risk reward system that i don't think very many games aspire to anymore so for some it's really obtuse at first. i saw a lot of people going into it thinking is was going to be like an elder scrolls game and it's not that at all. the soul grind is tedious at points but without it, it would lose the tension associated with the risk and the reward probably wouldn't be as sweet either. i think it's kind of genius but grind can wear anyone down so i can't really begrudge anyone's opinion otherwise.
The Legendary Zoltan
Narcissistic Legend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »

Grinding for souls is totally optional, though.  I love how this game is set up so that it's possible to kill any boss with almost any build at any level and almost any equipment.  I agree that it's not THAT hard.  The two harshest things for me were the instant death falls and other players invading and killing me.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »

Dying is not the worst thing that can happen to you in Dark Souls. Heck, ask Vinny about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oerx5WEpXMI
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »

well i hate metroidvania so i think ill stay away from this plus the cheap deaths ive heard of would make me rage.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 21, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Most of the deaths can be avoided by being careful.

But you'd probably rage over
Code:
the two silver knight archers in Anor Lando
so it's probably best to stay away.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: August 22, 2012, 12:46:59 AM »

well i hate metroidvania so i think ill stay away from this plus the cheap deaths ive heard of would make me rage.

It's not really a metroid game. They were just using those games as a template for describing how they don't hold your hand.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »

It's not really a metroid game. They were just using those games as a template for describing how they don't hold your hand.

Except that's even more wrong, especially with how most post-Super Metroid Metroid-type games have been. It's about the world structure, it's (almost) all interconnected and where you can access is determined more by keys or which bosses you beat than plot. Though that brings up the point that if she doesn't like the whole "gaining powers just to unlock new areas" then she doesn't really need to worry, you just get literal keys for the most part, nothing like double jumping held back.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: August 22, 2012, 01:36:19 AM »

its not needing item b to access area c that i have a problem with. well im not sure how to explain this but i liked the 1st metroid prime but the 2nd and 3rd metroidvania's on gba not so much.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: