Author Topic: Dark Souls

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #900 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
I think part of what makes the games so great is that they do so under limited confines. Too much budget and time tends to have the opposite effect. I like From the way they are.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 02, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
I think part of what makes the games so great is that they do so under limited confines. Too much budget and time tends to have the opposite effect. I like From the way they are.

I agree but I don't really like that they have to cut content for lack of time and/or money. It doesn't help either that they don't do any type of DLC... I would give all of my money to them if they did DLC.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 02, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I wonder how much they REALLY need more money so much as more TIME. I'd agree fully with cj, except those final zones in Dark Souls could've used more polish and been less gimmick focused.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
I wonder how much they REALLY need more money so much as more TIME. I'd agree fully with cj, except those final zones in Dark Souls could've used more polish and been less gimmick focused.

What were the gimmicks in the final zones?
"Oh, a hunter..."

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 02, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »

What were the gimmicks in the final zones?

Well...
Code: [Select]
Tomb of the Giants is constantly dark unless you either cast a light spell or use the skull latern,
the Crystal Caves have invisible walkways where you have to pay attention to crystal dust to see where you're going,
and Lost Izalith has a giant lava field with dragon rears that'll hop on you if you draw their attention.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
Tomb of the Giants felt more like a throwback to old first-person dungeon crawlers to me, where you had to walk
in the pitch blackness.  I, for one, welcomed the area.  It's one of my favorites. It is rather easy if you have the spell
that Lightens the area, though.

I've complained about it before here, but I agree that Lost Izalith was a terrible design choice and I've no idea what
From Software was thinking.

beLIEve?

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
i killed gravelord nito on monday. there is something awesome about killing babies for humanity. killed ceaseless discharge today. with all the humanity from killing babies i just went around and kindled every bonfire i saw to the max. i got invaded by a lightning spear spammer and i was slaughtered but with all this humanity who cares? i'm having a good time. 

edited to note:

i finally beat my first play though yesterday. my final thoughts are there could've been a little more polish thrown on. when i beat gravelord nito i realized that had i not had the lordvessel and rested at the bonfire you'd be screwed there is no way out of the pit. the gravelord pit and the abyss are warp points too why would you wanna warp back there after the fact? well... maybe you missed something in the gravelord pit, but the abyss? if there were a way out aside from the lordvessel it'd make more sense to me. i got a few notes pop up like "disasters are gone after the death of the gravelord servant" i never had any idea what the hell that meant till new game plus were all of a sudden there were red dudes everywhere and soon as the note popped up they were gone. the other thing i'd like is to see better connection for multiplayer.  i think if there were a souls-like genre i'd help smooth out the wrinkles
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:34:12 PM by beLIEve? »

Solstafir

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 08, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
You can't actually enter the Gravelord Nito fight/area without the Lordvessel. There would be a giant orange fog gate blocking the path. It shows four of these gates disappearing in a brief cutscene when you get (or is it place?) the Lordvessel.

The gravelord stuff was another player in the gravelord covenant cursing your world. It spawns super tough red phantom versions of enemies in 3 players' worlds and drops a soul sign that prompts invading that gravelord player's world. Killing said player will put an end to it. I'm not sure on anything more specific than that, and I hear that it's kind of buggy.

I've been playing this a lot lately. I killed Gravelord Nito myself just last night, but haven't defeated any of the others of the final four bosses quite yet. Tomb of the Giants is certainly made easy with the Cast Light spell.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 08, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »
*Be wary of spoilers*

Ash Lake might be only place in where you can get stuck without a route of escape if you don't have the Lordvessel, but I remember seeing a video in YouTube showing how to get out of there without it.

Also the only thing that you need to warp between places is to get the Lordvessel. Putting the Lordvessel can open or close the Darkwraith Covenant depending in how you do a quest that is really never explained to you until you defeat The Four Kings before giving the Lordvessel to Frampt to talk with Kaathe.

Or, something along those lines.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 09, 2012, 01:16:23 AM »
Nah, you can just walk out of Ash Lake the same way you entered.  It's somewhat lengthy and annoying to do, though.  It might also be a bit annoying if you didn't get the glitched Hydra who kills itself.

I don't think you can get stuck anywhere with the exception of the Archives, which you're stuck at for story purposes.

beLIEve?

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
You can't actually enter the Gravelord Nito fight/area without the Lordvessel. There would be a giant orange fog gate blocking the path. It shows four of these gates disappearing in a brief cutscene when you get (or is it place?) the Lordvessel.

The gravelord stuff was another player in the gravelord covenant cursing your world. It spawns super tough red phantom versions of enemies in 3 players' worlds and drops a soul sign that prompts invading that gravelord player's world. Killing said player will put an end to it. I'm not sure on anything more specific than that, and I hear that it's kind of buggy.

I've been playing this a lot lately. I killed Gravelord Nito myself just last night, but haven't defeated any of the others of the final four bosses quite yet. Tomb of the Giants is certainly made easy with the Cast Light spell.

that cutscene was so quick i only made out the dukes archives gate. but that still doesn't make warping back to those areas useful.

i guess what i'm saying about the gravelord thing is i had no idea it was a covenant thing at first. the vocabulary used had me confused. i didn't know what had changed in the first playthrough. i wouldn't have known i could directly invade them back either. i geuss i'm left with a poor understanding of how all the covenants work. i missed the gravelord covenant so that might explain my confusion a little.

yeah i had to get cast light to fully explore. i got sick of running from the bonfire in the catacombs only to accidentally fall off a cliff or whatever i couldn't see stabinating me.   

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
A game who's purpose is to have a player learn the mechanics on their own, yet be so cryptic that the majority of the players end up reading the wiki's, defeats its original purpose.

I do think it was pretty stupid to put up those orange barriers when you could reach these areas quite early in the game.

I didn't even know about the catacombs until I read a guide, never found the place on my own.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
A game who's purpose is to have a player learn the mechanics on their own, yet be so cryptic that the majority of the players end up reading the wiki's, defeats its original purpose.

I do think it was pretty stupid to put up those orange barriers when you could reach these areas quite early in the game.

I didn't even know about the catacombs until I read a guide, never found the place on my own.

Technically the point IS to help and assist other players, albeit in a more cryptic manner usually. So a wiki isn't entirely failing that purpose. As for the orange barrier, well, I suspect it has to do with what you CAN get at those areas, for the few new players that went the wrong direction there's others that, knowledgeable of the game, will break through and get the rewards ahead far earlier than what may have been intended.

And man, I understand pulling up examples of places that are too hard to find without a guide, but Catacombs is pretty damn low in my book. That's simply a matter of poking around the initial area, unlike Ash Lake which
requires hitting an INVISIBLE WALL at a dead end. If you're offline or got poor luck with player hints you wouldn't know there's one there.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 09, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
It really creeps me out the amount of crazy people playing this game when it came out finding stuff like the Ash Lake, or how to get all the loot in the Great Hollow or even finding the secret wall on Sen's Fortress to get a Titanite Chunk.

Hell, getting all the sorceries is pretty damn tricky (and a bit annoying).

beLIEve?

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 10, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »
you know i just watched a video, vaguely about the other ending and i realized in the abyss
there is an npc so that makes sense now. i missed that covenant too. i'd still like to walk out of those pits for sake of fast travel i need to play though at least a second time to take in the things i missed. for now though i'm going to try to finish some other games in the backlog before kingdoms of amalur and xenoblade steal my life during my work season.

i'd like to platinum out dark and demon souls but farming gets a little tedious.

i wonder if i found that wall in sen's fortress...