Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:51:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 93571 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »

http://www.fromsoftware.jp/darksouls/

from Siliconera:

"There is no Safe Zone in Dark Souls," Says Producer Hidetaka Miyazaki:

"You might laugh because you die so much," Hidetaka Miyazaki, the producer at From Software who worked on Demon's Souls, joked before showing up the spiritual successor, Dark Souls. The hands-off demo began on castle grounds with a conveniently placed orb containing a great sword. In the distance we saw a sleeping dragon guarding another treasure. Players can wake the dragon up, fight it, and procure the treasure. Since this was still early in the game, Miyazaki said it was best to tiptoe around it. The knight fought an undead soldier who relentlessly bashed the hero while Miyazaki was pointing out details about the dragon. Another undead warrior blocking a pass underneath the dragon threw firebombs.

Read the rest of the of article here.
Caer Seraphim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »

I started a new file on Demon Souls in light of this recent news. Punishing, yes, if you do things wrong, but I managed to get through the first level in less than an hour without dying thanks to the OP'ed Royalty class. In regards to the new game... Bye bye exclusivity, hello ever more refined gameplay and challenge?
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »

I started the game last week after postponing it for quite a while and I must say I'm having quite some fun. Funny though is that my fun is more because this game feels like a survivor horror, which I'm also a big fan, than for it's RPG merits. Probably because since the story is barebones DS is nothign but a dungeon crawler but the atmosphere is really making me having a lot of fun with it.

Also meeting characters which you're never sure if they turn your back on you. So far I've killed the bosses from all archstones for the "first level" and the ones in 1-2, 2-2 and 3-2.

As for Dark Souls I hope it doesn't have levels like Tower of Latria, especially in 1-3 where it's so easy to get lost. I had to use a trick to pass this level I saw on youtube there you jump in between the spikes a big machine shoots at you because I couldn't for the life of me find the last key required to advance.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »

Latria is pretty confusing. 

I'm looking forward to this.  I'm sure I'll still have to be careful whenever I put down my controller so it doesn't hit a trigger button by accident and make an NPC hate me FOREVER....>_>
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »

Latria is pretty confusing. 

I'm looking forward to this.  I'm sure I'll still have to be careful whenever I put down my controller so it doesn't hit a trigger button by accident and make an NPC hate me FOREVER....>_>
Make sure to break every single vase first.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »

What the...!?

Miyazaki up for doing Dark Souls NGP:

Hidetaka Miyazaki, the man behind Demon's Souls, has said he'd be interested in producing an instalment in the series for the Sony NGP.

"I like the platform. It's very attractive," he told Eurogamer during a recent interview.

"We're not considering it right now but there's always a chance. There's always a sense that I'd like to try and do something on that platform."

Read the rest of the of article here.

So, what do you think guys? Can you see this type of game working on a handheld?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »

So, what do you think guys? Can you see this type of game working on a handheld?

You know what? Yes, especially that one. Demon's Souls saves your exact position when you quit the game, the NGP touts graphics very close to the PS3 which is enough for a Demon's Souls type game, and 3G could very well enable one of Demon's Souls most interesting quirks on the go.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

Sure it can, and I can definitely see it being much more popular as a handheld game than a console one(kind of like Monster Hunter Portable). Too bad the idiots from Sony seem to be completely uninterested in this series. Man, what I wouldn`t give to see Demon`s Souls/Dark Souls on NGP instead of all those Uncharteds and Killzones.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »

Sure it can, and I can definitely see it being much more popular as a handheld game than a console one(kind of like Monster Hunter Portable). Too bad the idiots from Sony seem to be completely uninterested in this series. Man, what I wouldn`t give to see Demon`s Souls/Dark Souls on NGP instead of all those Uncharteds and Killzones.

Especially if they want the japanese market. The PSP is doing so well there they should do some RPGs for it so it goes well on Japan right from the get go, not some shooter they won't play even if their lives depended on it.
Since there's already a Call of Duty on the way to the NGP nothing more is necessary to make America love it.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »

Very interesting interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/02/04/dark-souls-qa-variety-is-the-spice-of-death/

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »

I'm sure there is a certain XMB Site that allows you to download that.

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »

Demon's Souls servers potentially going down in March is always in the back of my mind, but with Dark Souls coming... I'm both unafraid, and optimistic that Demon's Souls servers will stay up with the renewed interest.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

The only real complaint I had against Demon's Souls was the camera, and playing the game again tonight really brought that key shortcoming to the forefront.  I ended up dying twice because the camera spazzed out and I fell to my death while moving around.  They really need to figure out how to keep the camera from swinging around violently during a fight and prevent it from getting caught in the environment.  The camera isn't a deal breaker by any means, but it can be the most frustrating part of a difficult, but delightful, game. 
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »

Another Miyazaki interview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-07-dark-souls-hands-on?page=1

"One of my favourite things to do is to create situations where the player sort of has no chance,"

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »

My frothing demand for this game increases.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: