Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329823 Posts in 13520 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 91326 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »

From Andriasang

* The game will have magic which can change you into "objects." When other players come attacking, you'll want to change into object form to hide.
    * The game will not have voice chat or free chatting, as these features would be minuses as they can potentially take you away from feeling like you're in the story.
    * You'll find that the various weapons have very precise differences in motion. If you get a powerful weapon, the motion will be different from your current weapon, which could take some getting used to. Because of this, they expect that some players will continue to use the weaker weapons that they've gotten used to, and so they're adjusting the game balance so that these players will be able to clear the game.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »

I just noticed that RPGFan's most anticipated titles of 2011 doesn't include Dark Souls.

So disappointed.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »

We only saw it properly unveiled about a week ago. Same could be said for Graces too, even if it was heavily hinted at for at least a week prior.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 02:29:16 AM »

We only saw it properly unveiled about a week ago. Same could be said for Graces too, even if it was heavily hinted at for at least a week prior.

I don't think that's enough a reason. We already saw some gameplay in the TGS trailer (which clearly indicated that the game is similar to its predecessor), and the Project Dark website said it was coming out in 2011 for both consoles. You have Skyrim on the list, which we haven't seen a single gameplay vid of. Just a few in-game pics and bits of info.

What about Mass Effect 3? Not a single in-game shot. A teaser showing no gameplay whatsoever qualifies as a proper unveil, but one showing some actual gameplay doesn't? Strange. And Graces' situation is not even remotely similar.

Anyways, Dark Souls qualifies based on its pedigree alone, but not everyone shares my tastes in RPGs, which is completely normal. It's your list after all, not mine.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »

Project Dark was basically forgotten about because we hadn't heard anything since TGS and by the time the Dark Souls got a name and Tales of Graces F (which has no release window ANYWAY) cropped up last week stuff was finalized and written already. But a lot of us want DS (and Graces), believe me.

But little to no gameplay shown doesn't mean they can't anticipate a game. That's silly. In the case of Skyrim, we've got TES and Bethesda fans. And while we haven't SEEN much of Mass Effect 3, we have an idea of what to expect because it's the last part of a trilogy and it follows up the GOTY 2010.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:29 AM »

Project Dark was basically forgotten about because we hadn't heard anything since TGS and by the time the Dark Souls got a name and Tales of Graces F (which has no release window ANYWAY) cropped up last week stuff was finalized and written already. But a lot of us want DS (and Graces), believe me.

But little to no gameplay shown doesn't mean they can't anticipate a game. That's silly. In the case of Skyrim, we've got TES and Bethesda fans. And while we haven't SEEN much of Mass Effect 3, we have an idea of what to expect because it's the last part of a trilogy and it follows up the GOTY 2010.

That's what bothers me. A list of most anticipated titles shouldn't be so formal, and that's why I had to make a comparison with other titles since Eusis mentioned proper unveiling. Did Dark Souls really need a name in order to make the list? And did every single editor just forget about the game? Come on, that's just silly.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 03:09:21 AM »

That's what bothers me. A list of most anticipated titles shouldn't be so formal, and that's why I had to make a comparison with other titles since Eusis mentioned proper unveiling. Did Dark Souls really need a name in order to make the list? And did every single editor just forget about the game? Come on, that's just silly.

I didn't remember the gameplay myself, so to me the only thing to anticipate was the fact it was a probable spiritual successor to Demon's Souls; you get an idea of what to expect with stuff like the Mass Effect 3 trailer at least. If I'm not the only one who failed to catch that trailer then it makes sense.

That, and even if they saw the trailer it was out of the public eye until last week. It may as well have not even existed until then.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:42:20 AM by Eusis » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

Dark Souls was out of the public eye for almost six months, so it was easy to forget. The trailer came out MAYBE the day before we uploaded it but that's it.

We wanted a list, but geez I'm glad we didn't number it or anything. You said it best, it wasn't your list.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »

Yeah, there are at least 2 editors on staff that absolutely love Demon's Souls  (one of them being moi), and Project Dark/Dark Souls (which is now one of my most anticipated games) had no mention for months, and slipped under the radar. It sounds like you are insinuating that we intentionally left it off the list because we aren't looking forward to it or something, but that's a silly notion.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »

I say let's drop this whole silly debate and celebrate these awesome bits of news from the 4Gamer interview with Miyazaki:-

Posted by duckroll on GAF:
He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.

Also, an extended look at the interview from Andriasang...
Dark Souls is expected to have about 60 hours or so play time, said Miyazaki. Demon's Souls, in contrast, expects 30 or 40 hours.

In the area of content, the major point of increase is in enemies. Demon's Souls had around 30 types. Dark Souls has close to 100.

Pretty accurate since Demon's Souls was a 35 hours game for me.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »

I can go with this celebration. Bigger, better Demon's Souls is something good for every boy and girl.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »

And there was much rejoicing.

yay....
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Good news on the online component, but I think I might be one of the few how doesn`t care about it at all. I played Demon`s Souls solo. The multi required that you stayed relatively low-level in order to be able to find other people to play with. I on the other hand did some extreme power leveling; the last time I played my character was Lv 564.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2011, 12:59:22 AM »

I need to get the last two trophies.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »

Would one of those Trophies be 'Master Slasher's Trophy - Obtained Best Weapon by Bladestone'?

Farming that ingredient is insane in the membrane...

No, I actually have that one.  I actually need three more trophies, they are:

Cloudstone, Greystone and All Spells Learned.  Can someone help me with the first two?

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: