Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 91528 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: November 09, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »

It's an ambitious game and they obviously bit off more than they could chew, I'm sure he would've loved to have a few more months to work on it. I still have a long way to go untill I finish it but my overall impression is very positive despite all those flaws. Making a worthy sequel to Demon's Souls is not an easy task, specially because the surprise factor is obviously gone, but they did a great job, like so many games this gen they just needed more time for polish.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: November 09, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »

I remember how prior to the game`s release Miyazaki said that Dark Souls wouldn`t ship until he played it from start to finish. I wonder if he thinks that shipping a game whose frame rate fluctuates between 15-30fps and sometimes drops to as low as 5fps is acceptable. Not to mention all the game-breaking glitches of which Dark Souls has every in existence:

Infinite EXP(Dragon Head glitch) - check
Infinite spells(done through swapping) - check
Item duping(Dragon Head glitch, Snuggly glitch) - check
Invincibility(Great Magic Shield glitch) - check

Now I really love Dark Souls and the 200 something hours I`ve already sunk into it is a testament to this, but damn, don`t rush your games like that. The talk about the team behind Dark Souls being obsessive perfectionists always strikes me as incredibly odd given how the game feels unfinished and rushed on more than one occasion.

Now back to PvP-ing at Kiln :)

Besides the frame-rate stuff, aren't all those glitches fixed in the patch? Which we don't have yet!! I've stopped playing because I'm just waiting for this damn patch.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

Plus the dragon head one is really out of the way to activate. I've seen it described as being the kind of crazy playground rumor we'd have heard for older games given the bizarre method, except it's for real. FPS was likely just considered a non-issue, I'm more concerned how he could see some of those end game areas as fine.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

Be careful when upgrading the bloodshield.  Every time you upgrade it, it cranks your ailments up as if you had just equipped it.  I almost cursed myself without realizing it.  I went to +5 with small titanite shards, and saw that my meters were way up there.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:45 AM »

A rushed game sometimes can't be helped when it comes to publisher demands. More than a few "could have been great" games have been ruined that way.

From Software self-published Dark Souls in Japan. They only partnered with Scamco for the global release. So, it couldn`t have been publisher demands.

Also, remember, Demon's Souls was rather glitchy upon its release as well.  Soul duping was even easier in the early version of Demon's than in Dark.

I bought the Asian version of Demon`s Souls shortly after it had come out and I don`t recall it having anywhere near as many glitches. What was the soul duping glitch again? I wasn`t frequenting the DS board on Gamefaqs too much at the time of release, so perhaps I just missed it.

Plus the dragon head one is really out of the way to activate. I've seen it described as being the kind of crazy playground rumor we'd have heard for older games given the bizarre method, except it's for real.

But how could they miss something as obvious as the magic shield glitch? All you have to do to activate it is cast the spell and BAM - you`re completely invincible.

In other news, 1.05 was released in Japan a few days ago. It improves co-op and PvP by making summon signs easier to appear and decreasing the number of connection failures. Meanwhile, Scamco is silent and we`re still on 1.03.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:32:31 PM by Jonathan Ingram » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »

This wouldn't have happened if Atlus was running the show again. I was really surprised that Namco/Bandai was publishing this.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »

Yeah, if we don't see 1.05 in a timely manner then I'm REALLY hoping From goes to Atlus or something for their next Demon's Souls-type game. It's entirely possible though that 1.04's issues were spotted quickly and so Namco Bandai decided to wait and see first.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: November 12, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »

I was wondering, does the patch makes the official guide outdated with the changes? I didn't buy the guide but I'm just curious about that.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »

Somewhat, there'll be a lot of stats that are out of date, though there's a lot that simply won't ever be fully obsolete like item placements, not to mention the initial patch DID make some of the data wrong anyway. This shouldn't be like WoW or anything where the guide can literally become useless as, well, a guide.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »

I think that gameplay advice along the lines of "dodge like this" and "thrust this way" will remain relevant.

Math is all that gets messed up.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: November 13, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »

hey folks, new to the boards. long time lurker of the site, probably since i read the demon souls review. anyway, i have a question involving the firelink shrine.

Code:
so i rescued that prick in the gold armor and he killed the firelink shrine maiden. i got the black eye stone but it doesn't work do i need humanity or something to use it?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: November 13, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

hey folks, new to the boards. long time lurker of the site, probably since i read the demon souls review. anyway, i have a question involving the firelink shrine.

Code:
so i rescued that prick in the gold armor and he killed the firelink shrine maiden. i got the black eye stone but it doesn't work do i need humanity or something to use it?

You can save her once you reach Anor Londo. You use the black eye stone in the huge room right before the boss fight. I wouldn't recommend doing it until later because it's a difficult fight.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 13, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »

Code:

You can save her once you reach Anor Londo. You use the black eye stone in the huge room right before the boss fight. I wouldn't recommend doing it until later because it's a difficult fight.

It doesn't matter, you won't lose souls/humanity/your body upon dying against him, so you may as well try right away and save it for later only if you're REALLY being creamed.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: November 13, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

I wasn't telling him not to because of that, but just because it's a difficult fight and he probably won't be able to win it at that time. Then again, I played a thief and I wasn't exactly the strongest character at the time.

"Oh, a hunter..."
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: November 14, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »

Code:

It doesn't matter, you won't lose souls/humanity/your body upon dying against him, so you may as well try right away and save it for later only if you're REALLY being creamed.
well that sort of brings me to another question. i have two transient curses and i haven't really pushed far into new londo because of it. should i just get cursed somewhere or is there somewhere to buy a big stack transient curses?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: