Author Topic: Dark Souls

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #840 on: November 22, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
patch is out

For US PS3?

Just checked it. Finally!!! I've been waiting for this day, but I'm still going to keep playing Skyrim for now. I'm near the end of Dark Souls, so I'll go back and beat it soon. I just like questing in Skyrim. I can't do that in Dark Souls.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:31:16 PM by Fadedsun »
"Oh, a hunter..."

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 24, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Hooray!

I've spent all day just upgrading my armor.  

---

I am going around killing all the fire keepers and stuff before I go to newgame+, and after I took care of Boobs McGillicuddy in Anor Londo, I got invaded, since a new boss became accessible (or maybe because I'm now a target of that convenant).  It was so much fun.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:14:32 PM by Fei »

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 26, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »
Looks like the patch improved performance and fixed some pathfinding issues. From my own experience, fighting the giant cats in the forest or taking the sunlight altar staircase down to the rats no longer slows down the game to a crawl and the painted worlds is much smoother now. Blighttown seems to be just as bad as before though.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 27, 2011, 01:53:57 AM »
Played practically all day to see the changes that they made with the patch. And yeah, it definitely feels different, the game is still difficult and all but is not really the game that I remember in some parts. The co-op and PvP are still great so with that I'm more than satisfied.

Also, is nice to be able to upgrade your armor. That was pretty much my favorite change.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 27, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »
I think the game has become even easier than before with the new patch. Humanity and homeward bones practically fall from the sky now. Some of the enemies have had an HP hit, you get more souls, drops are more common etc.

Also, is nice to be able to upgrade your armor. That was pretty much my favorite change.

???

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 27, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »
???

Either he's referring to the Twinkling Titanite (and last I checked fully upgraded armor CAN be better than a lot of those special armors), or he completely missed being able to upgrade them before.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:37 AM »
Twinkles weren`t exactly hard to come by even prior to the patch. Maneaters dropped them quite frequently if you had 410 in Item Discovery.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 27, 2011, 06:47:15 AM »
Didn't have much success any time I tried (and going around with that much humanity is risky anyway), and it's probably faster in NG+ just to farm enemies then go buy them in bulk. Especially in the case of armor, since for a full set I think that's quadruple what you'd need for a weapon.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 27, 2011, 07:07:19 AM »
There`s a bonfire nearby. Right after you defeat Seath is the best time to farm them. I got about 25 twinkles that way on my first playthrough. But of course, now that the patch is out you can just buy them from Giant Blacksmith.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »
Either he's referring to the Twinkling Titanite (and last I checked fully upgraded armor CAN be better than a lot of those special armors), or he completely missed being able to upgrade them before.

This.

All the Twinkling Titanite I found I used it on my weapons and shields. Most of the time I didn't really saw a good reason to upgrade my armor while a can have a good shield at hand, not to mention that I did have a hard time getting Twinkles from time to time.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
Upgrading a shield doesn`t improve its defense capabilities, so it`s kind of a waste of materials.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
I don't know about that, but I do know that the game gives you enough room to try different approaches for one battle with different equipment and what not. After all, not every player is going to play like you or I do.

But hey, I'm just level 150 so what the hell do I know anyway.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 27, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
Upgrading a shield doesn`t improve its defense capabilities, so it`s kind of a waste of materials.

No, it improves stability, even post patch IIRC. Which, if I'm right, means you can hold that shield up for longer before your stamina runs out. Not that I'd take one to +15 unless you had a surplus of Titanite slabs and you know it'll be THE shield, but still.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
Yeah, stability affects how much stamina is lost when you block an attack.  They lowered the base stability of a lot of medium shields with the patch so that greatshields will regain some relevance.

For the most part, all your shield needs is 100% physical damage reduction and high stability... elemental defenses are nice, but magic and fire are probably dodged more often than blocked, since I don't think any shield blocks 100% of any of those.

Lightning might be an exception, with the number of lightning weapons people use, but that damage is split between physical and lightning, so you're still basically getting 50% damage reduction vs lightning weapons, if you have 0 lightning def on your shield.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
Loving the patch, except the final boss is still crazy hard.  I can't use my Iron Flesh technique anymore and I suck at parrying, so I'm basically stuck until I can find someone to help me with this fight.  He seems less aggressive, but you can still end up in a stun-lock situation easily.  Real bummer there.