Author Topic: Dark Souls

Cyril

• View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #870 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
Just have the last 4 big bosses or so, then the end game. Having a hard time motivating myself to finish it, especially when hearing how hard the last few bosses can be.

Probably need to spend some time grinding to upgrade my armor. My best weapon by far is the demon spear, unless of course I dual wield one of the axe or greatswords, but they're far too slow for my play style.

What is your playstyle? And for the love of God, don't dual wield unless you're good at parrying.

Start with the Duke's Archives if you're worried about boss difficulty.  The dungeons before it are much harder than the boss itself - especially if you're a mage.  The boss is literally made for mages to kill it. The hardest part is trying to cut his tail off.

Four Kings are either easy or hard depending on how quickly you can get their health down.  You can't cheeze them anymore either, but keep the Crest shield on you and stick close.  Their damage is weaker the closer you are.

The Tomb of Giants boss isn't as hard if you bring a Divine Weapon and don't run around. You also have to listen to sound effects, because one of his most dangerous attacks is only detectable through them.

The boss of Lost Izalith is both the easiest and the hardest.  it's the easiest in that any progress you make actually stays every time you die! It's a Dragon God like boss.  It's also the hardest because bad luck is probably going to push you off the edge more than a few times.  Not to mention Lost Izalith itself deserves a "what in God's name were the developers thinking?"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:01:51 PM by Cyril »

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 03, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
If you can go in the Tomb of the Giants with a Dragon Slayer Bow and a Divine Axe it can also help you a lot. I wish you the best of luck if you want to get the Large Divine Ember though.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 03, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
If you can go in the Tomb of the Giants with a Dragon Slayer Bow and a Divine Axe it can also help you a lot. I wish you the best of luck if you want to get the Large Divine Ember though.

Ha.  You pretty much have to suicide for that Ember.  I got one of them down once and I was proud of myself for that.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 03, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
I manage to kill all the fuckers in my second playthrough. Go Pyromancy!!

With the new patch I notice yesterday that this brutes are faster and in the part of the ember they make you fight 5 of those huge skeletons at the same time instead of 2 in the older version... maybe the developers think that was too easy before. :T

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #874 on: December 03, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 03, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Just have the last 4 big bosses or so, then the end game. Having a hard time motivating myself to finish it, especially when hearing how hard the last few bosses can be.

Probably need to spend some time grinding to upgrade my armor. My best weapon by far is the demon spear, unless of course I dual wield one of the axe or greatswords, but they're far too slow for my play style.

What is your playstyle? And for the love of God, don't dual wield unless you're good at parrying.

Start with the Duke's Archives if you're worried about boss difficulty.  The dungeons before it are much harder than the boss itself - especially if you're a mage.  The boss is literally made for mages to kill it. The hardest part is trying to cut his tail off.

Four Kings are either easy or hard depending on how quickly you can get their health down.  You can't cheeze them anymore either, but keep the Crest shield on you and stick close.  Their damage is weaker the closer you are.

The Tomb of Giants boss isn't as hard if you bring a Divine Weapon and don't run around. You also have to listen to sound effects, because one of his most dangerous attacks is only detectable through them.

The boss of Lost Izalith is both the easiest and the hardest.  it's the easiest in that any progress you make actually stays every time you die! It's a Dragon God like boss.  It's also the hardest because bad luck is probably going to push you off the edge more than a few times.  Not to mention Lost Izalith itself deserves a "what in God's name were the developers thinking?"

I use eagle shield and the demon spear. I've probably stupidly tried to bump my stats up equally across the board. As I'm not very good with rolling and dodging, I love having the spear for long reach and a shield to fall back on.

I made it to Four Kings, but after dying once didn't feel like trecking back into the abyss just to die again. Have made it to the crystal caves, but kept falling off trying to avoid those large butterfly things.

beLIEve?

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 04, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »

Ha.  You pretty much have to suicide for that Ember.  I got one of them down once and I was proud of myself for that.

that's how i got it. i jumped down, rolled around, picked it up and died immediately after.   

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
I use eagle shield and the demon spear. I've probably stupidly tried to bump my stats up equally across the board. As I'm not very good with rolling and dodging, I love having the spear for long reach and a shield to fall back on.

I made it to Four Kings, but after dying once didn't feel like trecking back into the abyss just to die again. Have made it to the crystal caves, but kept falling off trying to avoid those large butterfly things.

Yeah, raising your stats evenly is the sure way to ruin your character.  Focus on two stats first, then slowly bump a third and then -maybe- a fourth, depending on your build.  Ignore everything else, unless it's for weapon/spell requirements.

The Four Kings are easy enough to get to. You just hop down from the first main building on the top right corner. Then you sprint to the fog, dodging the Darkwraiths. It takes about 20 seconds. As for the Crystal Caves, once you spend enough time there you'll realize those paths are actually straight. Well, they're at a slight tilt, but it's a straight tilt. Use the Prism Stones if you're worried - they're not only pretty, but useful.

You might want to Upgrade yourself a Lightning Spear +4 (save the Slabs) instead.  I'm not sure how much the patch fixed scaling, but unless it was by quite a bit, the Lightning weapon is going to outdamage you.

And you're going to need to learn to roll, very very quickly, for the Tomb of Giants boss. That's the only way to avoid one of his attacks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:21:03 PM by Cyril »

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
+They must've fixed scaling, because my Demon Spear (can't remember the level), outdoes my +4 lightning spear.

Took out seath, nito, and four kings today. Now I just need the last one, but having trouble with the centipede. Can't even seem to hit him...

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 05, 2011, 03:10:01 AM »
Now that I've burn out of the game I think I have to say my final words to it. Is hard to say if this game was a good experience in retrospective thanks to the amount BS that the game has, for every thing that it does right the bad ones always look bigger no matter how good one part of the game was.

I seriously believe that the entire experience goes to hell the moment you reach Anor Londo because it only gets crazier after that point (and I'm not saying that in a good way). I also have to mention that in all of the 200 hours that I put into the game I never felt that the combat system was good, it didn't worked all that well in Demon's Souls either but here somehow is worse, maybe "janky" is the word I'm tryng to use here for the combat system.

Oh and the PvP is a mess full of backstabbing maniacs with no desire to have a real duel othe than spaming the shit of out one attack until you are dead.

With that said, I enjoyed my time with the game but I didn't really like it. And yeah I really don't see the future me buying a game like this again.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2011, 04:44:54 AM »
Oh and the PvP is a mess full of backstabbing maniacs with no desire to have a real duel othe than spaming the shit of out one attack until you are dead.

Backstabs are a crucial gameplay mechanic. There`s nothing inherently wrong with them. You either learn how to do them or you`ll have your ass handed to you indefinitely in PvP.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
I actually think that the combat engine is one of the best in any game I've played. Sure, it isn't perfect, and the camera does screw you over a lot, but I feel like I actually have control over what my character is doing.

I think the game falls apart after Anor Londo, but mostly because it was fun to explore the first hub, open secret paths to enable backtracking, see how everything linked together. This all fell apart in the 2nd half.

Plus, I was reading the trohpy guides to see if I want to attempt it, and some of the spells/convenants etc are so crazy to get, how would you ever figure it out without a guide?

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 05, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »

Backstabs are a crucial gameplay mechanic. There`s nothing inherently wrong with them. You either learn how to do them or you`ll have your ass handed to you indefinitely in PvP.

Pretty much. In PVP, it's usually a race to see who gets the first back stab and then trying to survive after that. Good luck surviving in PVP if you play a character with light armor that doesn't use magic. I always died. After a while I got sick of it, so every time I got invaded I would equip some heavy armor just to survive.

Back stabs are useful in non-pvp situations as well. I'll try and get one whenever possible to avoid a nasty, lengthy fight.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 05, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
Rolling in PvP is essential.  A character in full heavy armor is going to be at a severe disadvantage if they're fighting without a Havel's Ring and the Black Grain Ring.  This makes invading in some areas impossible for their build (such as Lost Izalith - really, that place is the best to be Invaded at because you have such a huge advantage as the Invadee).

Unfortunately, unless it was patched, the Black Grain Ring itself makes the above argument weaker and light armor relatively useless in PvP.  In fact, I'd argue that even mages should be wearing a few pieces of Heavy Armor at higher levels.  The Poise stops your spells from being interrupted at even the lightest hit. Mix and match Light and Heavy for best results.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 06, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
After many many weeks of perseverance I finally got the platinum trophy. I got in a bit of a problem getting all the rare weapons, I almost had to do a 5th playthrough to get the remaining ones but I was lucky enough to get the rest in the same playthrough.

I intend to play the game one more time to see a few things, but I guess that at this point I'll never see a Vagrant.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:58:12 PM by Yggdrasil »