Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 08:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334805 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 95190 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: December 07, 2011, 04:19:32 AM »

Just got the Platinum just now.  All I had left was the Channeler's Trident!

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: December 26, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm playing the first Demon's Souls which I got for Christmas, and it's probably the most fucking overrated game I've ever played. The Japs who decided that there shouldn't be a pause button or automaps should have their fucking heads chopped off.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: December 26, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »

The Japs who decided that there shouldn't be a pause button or automaps should have their fucking heads chopped off.

Also checkpoints and an arrow that points where you need to go, am i rite?

And LOL at demanding an auto-map for Demon`s Souls` relatively straight forward levels. I hope you never try something like Eye of the Beholder or earlier Wizardry titles.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: December 26, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »

I did Phantasy Star(1) on GBA without a map. Probably my proudest achievement.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #889 on: December 26, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »

I did Phantasy Star(1) on GBA without a map. Probably my proudest achievement.

I'm proud for you. Love that game.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: December 26, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm playing the first Demon's Souls which I got for Christmas, and it's probably the most fucking overrated game I've ever played.

Is not overrated. Is just, not for everyone. The only way to get to the point in where the game "clicks with you" is just by playing it for some days and understanding how everything works (like in a fighting game to give an example).

Though, learning everything takes more than one playthrough... so yeah, your choice there.

Just be sure to have a lot of free time if you are going to play Demon's Souls for real because once you get into it you will not care about what time is. The game is a real nightmare for people with Gaming OCD too.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 27, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »

However, it's still perfectly enjoyable with one 40-ish hour playthrough. You may be rewarded for really, really getting into it, but anyone that doesn't care that much about that will still see most everything the game has to offer, unlike a fighting game which can feel kind of pointless unless there's extra modes for single player.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

who decided that there shouldn't be a pause button

I'd like to ask how you expect there to be a pause button in an online game?  Is the system just supposed to pause every player's game all at the same time?

And Automaps are pointless in Demon's Souls, it's almost all straight paths.  Maps would also detract from the tension of the levels, which is a HUGE part of why DS was a good game to begin with.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »

who decided that there shouldn't be a pause button

I'd like to ask how you expect there to be a pause button in an online game?  Is the system just supposed to pause every player's game all at the same time?

And Automaps are pointless in Demon's Souls, it's almost all straight paths.  Maps would also detract from the tension of the levels, which is a HUGE part of why DS was a good game to begin with.

i'd like to add that a pause button would ruin the tension and joy of victory of every boss battle. if i could've paused during flame lurker beating him would've been a lot easier cause i found that i'd get over zealous half way though the fight go berserker rage and die. if i could have paused and took a breather to relieve anxiety it'd been quicker. the victories wouldn't have felt as sweet though.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: December 27, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »

No Pause button irked me at first, but eventually it's something I've come to appreciate.  It forces you to adapt to the game, not the game to adapt to you. It's one of the small parts that make up the whole tenseness.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 28, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

It helps that you can quit at any time if you need to stop for an extended period, and that 99% of the time if you find a safe spot (and are hollow/offline) it will STAY safe.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:09:02 PM by Eusis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 31, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »

BACK TO DARK SOULS

Kayin, the guy who made I Wanna Be The Guy, wrote this piece on Dark Souls. I like what he said about the world design and how it handles story.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: January 01, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »

BACK TO DARK SOULS

Kayin, the guy who made I Wanna Be The Guy, wrote this piece on Dark Souls. I like what he said about the world design and how it handles story.

Thanks for the article. I also liked the bit about the story. I never really noticed that stuff before, mostly because I never realized items held lots of information towards lore. Now I feel a bit bad for slaughtering those squid-like creatures for experience over and over again.

"Oh, a hunter..."
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: January 01, 2012, 04:56:01 AM »

BACK TO DARK SOULS

i need to get back to dark souls i took a break to watch six seasons of "lost"

i really liked the article. especially the criticisms/improvements part. i'd love to have a talk about this quote and follow up comment.

kayin: "Perhaps from From Software, perhaps from future clones like Dragon Dogma that might truly establish these conventions as a genre. If they do, it will be a victory for gaming in general."

@Kayin Thanks for the mention in the post btw! I canít really argue with what you said, although I will definitely try to make some kind of in-depth response about the last bit of your post involving the untapped potential for this kind of game format, because itís something that gets on my mind a lot. Thereís a huge missing link between Demon/Dark Souls and other modern games, and somewhere in that unexplored space is a revolutionary game that I very much hope will be realized.

i'd love if there were a "souls-like" sub-genre to hone this style a little. i'm not sure if dragon's dogma is quite a "soul's-like" but i'll be pleased if it's close.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: January 01, 2012, 04:59:04 AM »

My life would be ruined if this style of game becomes a genre. Though, it all depends how well those games end up being too.

Edit: Finished to read the article, and like everyone that has played and loved both games to death I wish FromSoftware would have a bigger budget and the time that they need to make the best game that they can possibly make. Because that's honestly all they need to make something better after two great titles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:25:09 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: