Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 91781 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:51 AM »

I just wonder if anyone will ever solve the pendant mystery(assuming there is one).

I would not be surprised if the pendant is just for trade. There are some areas that are pretty weird, like they seem to have some sort of purpose but there's absolutely nothing that can give you a clue or something.

People have tried a ton of stuff with Solaire since the description in rings, items, miracles and his weapon and armor say that he is more important that what he actually appears to be since he was some kind of Deity or Demigod many many years ago and that's maybe one of the reasons why he is searching for "his sun".

In any case I really hope someone in a interview ask about that because people has been going crazy with the pendant for a long time now.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #931 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »

Maybe they'll actually add some skills other than trial and error? Or not penalize players by making them grind for hours? Just wondering.

I never had to grind. And being careful and observant allowed you to pass almost every challenge in the game.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: February 02, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »

I just wonder if anyone will ever solve the pendant mystery(assuming there is one).

I would not be surprised if the pendant is just for trade. There are some areas that are pretty weird, like they seem to have some sort of purpose but there's absolutely nothing that can give you a clue or something.

People have tried a ton of stuff with Solaire since the description in rings, items, miracles and his weapon and armor say that he is more important that what he actually appears to be since he was some kind of Deity or Demigod many many years ago and that's maybe one of the reasons why he is searching for "his sun".

In any case I really hope someone in a interview ask about that because people has been going crazy with the pendant for a long time now.

The most popular(and viable) theory is that Solaire is one of Gwyn's children.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: February 03, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

Maybe they'll actually add some skills other than trial and error? Or not penalize players by making them grind for hours? Just wondering.

I never had to grind. And being careful and observant allowed you to pass almost every challenge in the game.
That's correct. Grinding as a punishment is awful design. Imagine you were playing a shoot em up and every time you got a game over in stage 3, you had to replay stage 1 50 times to progress again - tedium and grinding is not difficulty, no matter how people like to hype it for being "punishing". If you want punishing execution skills with extreme precision and coordination required, yet no grinding for failure, try completing some high level SF4 or MVC3 or DMC3 combos. And as you said, patience and a bit of memorization/trial and error will get through the entire game. No other typical action game skills required, yet people hype it as if it had the most difficult combat since Ninja Gaiden II (not that many, if any RPG gamers have experienced that game.. but you know what I mean).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:54:35 PM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: February 03, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Gonna position myself behind of nerd-proof glass first.....

I thought Dark Souls was terrible for the 2 hours that I played. Between my characters slow ass movement, clunky fighting coupled with annoyingcamera locking and not locking, and an oversized fatass of a boss (first boss) who moved faster and swung harder and overall was better than me, only to fall to me fucking circle strafing his ass and winning, yeah this game did nothing for me except show me that developers find ease in handicapping players to make games harder. It's really sad, and honestly, don't try to coerce me to play again, it's not going to happen. The game just didn't do anything for me as an rpg fan. I can understand how some like it, but that's their business. I just wanted to toss my 2 cents in the mix.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »

And as you said, patience and a bit of memorization/trial and error will get through the entire game. No other typical action game skills required, yet people hype it as if it had the most difficult combat since Ninja Gaiden II (not that many, if any RPG gamers have experienced that game.. but you know what I mean).

Pretty much any modern Ninja Gaiden is way more difficult and requires more skill than Dark Souls. Though, I wonder how difficult Dark Souls is in comparison to some NES titles that are usually said being harder than any game that has come out in the last 10 or 8 years like some retro gamers mention.

Or heck, is Mega Man 9 and 10 harder than Dark Souls? Some people say those Mega Man games are brutal.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: February 05, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »

I always thought the problem with Dark and Demon's Souls were not the difficulty but the frustration which are not the same thing.
On Demon's Souls by going back all the way when you die made it for me a pain sometimes. Even some shortcuts even if helpful don't change the fact that you go back all the way.

The bondfire system in Dark Souls seems like the ideal system for me. Even if this game is really harder, I at least can say that it is at least a lot less frustrating because let's face it, it doesn't matter how many cure item we can carry if we can get one hit KO'ed and have to start all the way back (as in Demon's Souls).

Anyway, I killed the Stray Demon last night as a sorcerer with soul level 23. Not my ideal choice but it was a lot of fun. I wish this game had at the end some stats, like how many deaths during the playthrough.
I doesn't have to be detailed like GTA but some overall stats like Metal Gear.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: February 07, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »

I'm having a break from this but will get back to it once i've finished Dragon age. I'm still enjoying it more then any other action rpg of recent years. You just need to get in to how it works and strategize, I don't think power grinding is needed in Dark Souls. I think putting the controller down for a few minutes and thinking about strategy is the way to go. Levelling your weapons and armour up is what i've focussed on so far, buying a tonne of fire bombs doesn't hurt either. It's one rpg that I'm ok about taking a break with though, i know i'll get back to it.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »

This was a game I decided to get while I was waiting for Skyrim. I didn't really know what to expect. All I know is it generally got good reviews and many people said something like " they don't make games like this anymore."

I gave it a try. Didn't know what to make at first but, got my ass kicked around... After I grinded a bit I got better and better and started to love it. I rarely feel "good" when I accomplish something in a game or when I kill a boss but, this game is really gratifying. Nice variety of loot too, they pretty much got all the main weapons down.
Not that I'd want too, but, is there any other game that gives you the option to duel wield shields? =)

Now I got Demons Souls and I'm liking that as much if not a bit more. KoA is first on the playlist for now. The Dark Souls games aren't quite pure RPGs in my book, more action than RPG. It just has stats and a shop or two...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:24:34 AM by Fyle » Logged

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: March 01, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:31:10 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: March 20, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »

The following was posted on the Dark Souls Facebook page less than an hour ago.

An announcement is coming......

We have something in-store for our DARK SOULS Fans ! Make sure to check out the following page (Link below), share, like and tell everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/app_352678381442367

Let the speculation begin!

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #941 on: March 23, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »

Still nothing on this? I just want some DLC with a few new trophies if possible. I'm seeing on neogaf something about a PC version, that's cool too I guess.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #942 on: March 23, 2012, 02:57:08 AM »

I'm seeing on neogaf something about a PC version, that's cool too I guess.
Yeah, there was this whole petition for a PC version and it got legitimate attention from Namco, so... that's certainly a very possible outcome of this. And I saw something about some Australian PC magazine having a PREPARE TO DIE deal in the recent issue - pardon my lack of a source or specifics at the moment.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #943 on: March 23, 2012, 08:50:38 AM »

Being both an avid Dark Souls fan and a recent owner of a kickass PC, I support a PC version. Dat 1920x1080p.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #944 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »

Dark Souls confirmed for PC

PC version in August with new bosses. I'm pretty intrigued where are they gonna put more bosses.

But if I remember well, there are a few areas in the game that seem unfinished or closed for more content for some reason but who knows. I'm a bit annoyed I'll not be able to play this version though. :T
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: