Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:11:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319247 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 85402 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: September 07, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »

What's up with the lightning weapons in this game? They seem really unbalanced, they came up with this fantastic system where every weapon is a viable option and even has different animations, but then invalidated it all by making lightning vastly more powerful than everything else. Nothing I have even comes close to the Lightning Spear, and it feels like I wasted a ton of souls putting points into dexterity when it doesn't affect damage anymore.

I believe they nerfed those somewhat with a patch, but basically lightning is great... to a point. Thing is that the damage is divided among two types, and will never get better beyond upgrading the weapon itself, so once you reach 40 in STR/DEX a weapon that scales to those stats, particularly at +15 will usually be way better. Especially since those can be enchanted.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: September 08, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »

If anyone's playing the PC version with stereo speakers (not 5.1 or 7.1) you'll want to read this for a fix. Stereo is broken, by default you miss out on most of the ambient sound effects, before finding about this workaround I'd been playing the game in near silence thinking that was how it was supposed to be.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: September 08, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

EpicNameBro - Easy Mode, Do Not Want (1 year special) -- 37min
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1053 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

If anyone's playing the PC version with stereo speakers (not 5.1 or 7.1) you'll want to read this for a fix. Stereo is broken, by default you miss out on most of the ambient sound effects, before finding about this workaround I'd been playing the game in near silence thinking that was how it was supposed to be.

Thaaaaank you. :D

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: September 09, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »

thanks for posting that i think he makes some solid points. i just thought of another way it got easier after the patch. swapping the targets in auto lock got a hell of lot better after the patch.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: September 09, 2012, 04:01:06 AM »

Wouldn't you guys want less grinding and tedium in a game like this? Or does grinding count as difficulty in Dark Souls?

You guys just told me that Dark Souls is more of a strategy game where the main difficulty is figuring out enemy attacks and how to counter them, yet people are complaining about the action? Why don't they play the far more difficult more action oriented games like the ones I just mentioned? Or any of the far more difficult games in this list? There are lots and lots of challenging games out there.. both in terms of strategy, and in terms of action. I dunno, the whole thing is confusing to me.

There's nothing wrong with an easy mode so more players can enjoy the game's content. Gating players out of large amounts of content for the sake of elitist egos is pointless and bad for business. Hard modes exist for players like that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:14:18 PM by mjrpgfan » Logged
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: September 09, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

Wouldn't you guys want less grinding and tedium in a game like this? Or does grinding count as difficulty in Dark Souls?

You guys just told me that Dark Souls is more of a strategy game where the main difficulty is figuring out enemy attacks and how to counter them, yet people are complaining about the action? Why don't they play the far more difficult more action oriented games like the ones I just mentioned? Or any of the far more difficult games in this list? There are lots and lots of challenging games out there.. both in terms of strategy, and in terms of action.

There's nothing wrong with an easy mode so more players can enjoy the game's content. Gating players out of large amounts of content for the sake of elitist egos is pointless and bad for business. Hard modes exist for players like that.

i don't think grinding for souls is all that tedious, it can be depending on how you go about it. i think it does count (toward the difficulty) in a way. imagine you have a survival horror game (cause i think that's what this game does) now take away the story except that little bit of lore you get from items and a few bit bits of info from npc's now imagine how unfulfilling it'd feel without the tension. i can't imagine anyone would want to play that.

i'm not sure what your trying to say with your middle paragraph. i think anyone who's complaining about the action in dark souls is likely going into it two-handed and not paying attention to their stamina gauge cause it takes a second to heft the sword back to your shoulder. you can't block with your shield forever or roll forever either you just have to be on top of you gauges while simultaneously watching your foe. as to why anyone doesn't like this is subjective.

while i certainly don't want to be elitist (i've used easy modes recently) i just don't think the souls games would work that well with an easy mode. it would likely just break the game. the games foundation is difficulty, without it the key ingredient is missing. i think it would lose that which makes it compelling in the first place. maybe it can be done i just don't see what the draw would be without the difficulty.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 09, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »

You guys just told me that Dark Souls is more of a strategy game where the main difficulty is figuring out enemy attacks and how to counter them, yet people are complaining about the action? Why don't they play the far more difficult more action oriented games like the ones I just mentioned? Or any of the far more difficult games in this list? There are lots and lots of challenging games out there.. both in terms of strategy, and in terms of action. I dunno, the whole thing is confusing to me.

1. You don't really NEED to grind souls out in Dark Souls except in maybe a few situations like getting cursed early on. Some of us want that edge, but shortly after release people had figured out Soul Level 1 speed runs, and so long as you don't keep dying and losing your souls before spending them (which you shouldn't after boss fights at least) you'd likely gain enough for a reasonably skilled solo run without going out of your way.

2. I outlined why the gameplay is very different. It'd be similar to suggesting someone play a hard strategy RPG instead of something like Vagrant Story, when they're only vaguely similar at best. It's really best you try for yourself really.

3. A problem with adding an easy mode IS the nature of online. People put down summon signs to help with bosses, or invade others games, and if the balance is different in a significant way it's not particularly fair to have them playing together. It's already fragmented enough by the divisions by Soul Level and to a lesser degree covenants, what'd probably be a better idea is do something similar to FE's no death option in newer games: have an option you choose at the start of a cycle for whether you want the death penalty to still apply or not. In that case I don't think there's be significant unbalancing for multiplayer (most of which would be naturally fixed by different soul levels anyway), and a simple change like that probably would make the game feel much easier.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: September 09, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »

I don't ever remember grinding for souls in Dark Souls, but I definitely grinded for materials to build better weapons.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »

Most of the time it was because I wanted to hit some goal, IE wielding a weapon one handed (or at all). And it's actually not really a good idea to grind for souls THAT much before NG+ just because of how much more lucrative it is after your first game clear. And you can't really complain too much about grinding for something that's optional, nevermind that not only is it still not really needed but would go by WAY faster until you hit levels you don't need to reach anyway.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: September 15, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »

I'm up to the PtD Edition areas now, these are some great boss fights. The two that I've fought have been very fast and aggressive (little time for Estus chugging here), but by no means cheap and certainly not easy, I died to the second many times. These are hard but fair fights, unlike Four Kings (where it's nearly impossible to judge distance) and Centipede Demon (where the camera is completely broken).
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »

Dark Souls issue
Smartass Dark Souls players
Dark Souls player BS
Dark Souls playthrough (DPSGaming) pt36

beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: September 16, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »

those first three vids are so funny, i almost think they are trolls though cause it's hard for me to accept that people are that dumb. i think the only system i think is obtuse in the game is how is weapon upgrades, one would think that a +10 sword is better than a +5 sword but that's not really the case in the souls games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: October 15, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »

"The new and additional Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss content will be released on Xbox Live and PSN on 24th October, Namco Bananas has said. That same DLC will be bundled with the Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls, which arrives two days later for PS3 and Xbox 360 on 26th October." -- Source: Eurogamer

*jokeaboutbananas*
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: October 16, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

"The new and additional Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss content will be released on Xbox Live and PSN on 24th October, Namco Bananas has said. That same DLC will be bundled with the Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls, which arrives two days later for PS3 and Xbox 360 on 26th October." -- Source: Eurogamer

*jokeaboutbananas*

Namco Bananas? Why? Am I not getting something or this just a really stupid mistake?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: