Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 89459 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: January 13, 2013, 02:52:50 AM »

if you add someone you can view thier trophies before they accept it.

... I know? I'm not really sure why that was pointed out.
The fuck is a trophies.

What happens when Sony notices that people are buying 360 versions of games over PS3 versions because they want to earn achievements that much more. The fact most early PS3 ports were terrible was probably a factor too though.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: January 13, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

Is there really any difference between trophies any achievements? I always assumed that they don't really do any thing besides measure game completion.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 13, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

Just how they score basically: each achievement's assigned a point value, whereas every trophy's divided into Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum, with Platinums being for full completion of games that have them included, DLC's not directly factored in though. On Xbox they just get dumped into your GamerScore point pool, while on PS3 you "level up" for earning trophies, but in the end both are basically showing how much you'e played of however many games you got.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »

i just watched some reviews to see what all the fuss about. it doesnt really look hard though. DMC 3 was hard. doing a 720 motion with zangief is hard. this just reminds me of bs deaths in NES games like medusa head knocking simon into a pit. or a hit knocking ryu hyabusa of a ledge. quickman/heatman stages on MM2 without using powers to cheese it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:53 AM »

It's really not a difficult game. I'm shit at action games (such as the aforementioned Devil May Cry), but I can play Dark Souls just fine. It's a much slower and less frantic game. The only learning curve is knowledge, really. Learning the areas of the game and their pitfalls, learning the enemies and their patterns, learning your own attacks and such, learning the best ways to stat and gear for your playstyle and so on. I truly don't get why people call this hard unless they try to play it like God of War or something and refuse to just fucking think about what they're doing, in which case it makes sense, since they'll be slaughtered. That all probably sounds just a touch condescending and/or arrogant, but the repeated outcries of this game's difficulty are frankly ridiculous.

As a small side note, something like parrying does require precise timing, but it's entirely unnecessary, as awesome as it may be.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:40:37 AM by Solstafir » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

I think it was Yoda? that said that Demon Souls wasn't so much a hard game but a game you had to play carefully in.

Same for Dark Souls from what I've seen. It's pretty strategic -- and you need to be thoughtful and observant about what you're doing -- but I mean in terms of difficulty, it's about on par with a Megaten game, and it's difficult for the same reasons, but it's not nearly as difficult as people claim, for the same reasons.

I think people think it's harder than it is because you tend to die a lot. Death isn't a super-serious thing in the game, though. You lose whatever souls you had when you die, but I mean you earn that back pretty quickly. It's not a loss state it's just like, "Oh, you died. Go try that again. Have fun!"

Alternatively sometimes not being able to beat something means you're not supposed to, or at least not yet.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »

for me it's a game i'd tell most people to at least try. the brutally hard hype made me think twice about getting demons souls but i'm glad i gave it a shot cause it's probably my favorite series this gen. rent it at the very least. for some people the risk/reward system in this game is a solid hook, for others not so much, but you'll never know unless you try.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:49:57 PM by beLIEve? » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »

do monsters respawn when you die?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »

do monsters respawn when you die?

In Dark Souls? Enemies respawn when you die and when you rest at the bonfire. There are a few enemies that don't come back once you kill them like the Giant Rat of The Depths.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1164 on: January 15, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »

Yeah, MOST enemies respawn... fortunately not the Black Knights or some of the super rats or megahedgehogs.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »

Dunkstein and Slamough - Quad City DJs vs. Dark Souls

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1166 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »

Welp. I love you.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »

I-I don't even know what I can say about that.  There are words, but they're all slipping away.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1169 on: January 15, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

for me it's a game i'd tell most people to at least try. the brutally hard hype made me think twice about getting demons souls but i'm glad i gave it a shot cause it's probably my favorite series this gen. rent it at the very least. for some people the risk/reward system in this game is a solid hook, for others not so much, but you'll never know unless you try.

The hook for me was the same thing that hooked me with the King's Field games (and Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring). Exploration, constant dread, an element of survival horror, and immense atmospherics.

I mean I think that if you liked Ico and Shadow of the colossus -- especially SotC -- it'd be up your alley.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: