Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 01:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341130 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 99263 times)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

do monsters respawn when you die?

Generally mini-boss don't respawn. Late in the game you will encounter earlier mini-boss that now respawn.....because the game hates you. Of course, look at the bright side, you can now farm them.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »

for me it's a game i'd tell most people to at least try. the brutally hard hype made me think twice about getting demons souls but i'm glad i gave it a shot cause it's probably my favorite series this gen. rent it at the very least. for some people the risk/reward system in this game is a solid hook, for others not so much, but you'll never know unless you try.

The hook for me was the same thing that hooked me with the King's Field games (and Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring). Exploration, constant dread, an element of survival horror, and immense atmospherics.

I mean I think that if you liked Ico and Shadow of the colossus -- especially SotC -- it'd be up your alley.
Totally those were hooks for me as well. I had trouble with the controls on SotC so I stopped playing but I really need to go back and give it another shot.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »

i like SotC but im more interested in fun engaging combat. that said im not interested in this at time unless i can get it cheap. like $30 or so.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

$20 on Amazon for Dark Souls.  If you're into good combat, Dragon's Dogma has the best action RPG combat to date.  Being able to manually control climbing onto large enemies adds a layer of depth missing from a lot of action RPGs.  Both games are completely worth playing.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1174 on: January 17, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »

$20 on Amazon for Dark Souls.  If you're into good combat, Dragon's Dogma has the best action RPG combat to date.  Being able to manually control climbing onto large enemies adds a layer of depth missing from a lot of action RPGs.  Both games are completely worth playing.
i'd concur, DD is combat is fun too i just wish there were more monsters in that game and a little better story too. demon's souls is on psn for 20$ as well.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1175 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »

Great deal, though I definitely think Dark Souls takes the trophy for "best action RPG combat" :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »

They kind of do different things anyway: Dark Souls is like if you took what Zelda OoT introduced, and refined it to be a fantastic, hardcore system, whereas Dragon's Dogma is more like if you replaced Elder Scrolls lame combat system with Devil May Cry's, then threw mechanics for climbing monsters because grappling a griffing mid-flight while hacking away at it is way more awesome when you do it through the base game mechanics rather than some QTE crap.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:10 PM »

Uhhh

Went to Darkroot Garden, did some stuff, died.

Went back and suddenly everything seems completely different. I'm getting mobbed by a group of three plant guys that weren't active till I searched a corpse near them, and they won't deactivate.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1178 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »

Uhhh

Went to Darkroot Garden, did some stuff, died.

Went back and suddenly everything seems completely different. I'm getting mobbed by a group of three plant guys that weren't active till I searched a corpse near them, and they won't deactivate.

Fire is especially useful on them. Try some of the item that enflames your weapon or some pyromancy, if you have it. Stand back, and don't let them do their 'grab' attack. They can hit from beneath you like Starcraft Lurkers, so be careful.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1179 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »

Dark Souls Lore mini - Siegmeyer of Catarina -- EpicNameBro, YouTube

Dark Souls ships over two million copies worldwide -- Source: Siliconera

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:20:40 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1180 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »

---
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:05:56 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1181 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »

I'm sure you guys knew this already but Pop Fiction is fun to watch

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/2z052q/pop-fiction-episode-34--dark-souls-pendant
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1182 on: April 21, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »

DARK SOULS Arcade Cabinet (magazine ad spoof) ~Art by semsei -- Source: deviantART
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1183 on: April 05, 2014, 02:18:03 AM »

Welcome to Dark Souls

Skeleton Man

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1184 on: April 07, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »

Dark Souls Lore - Truth about Darkwraith Kirk (NSFW?)

Dark Magic

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: