Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329285 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So I just ordered a PSP...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: So I just ordered a PSP...  (Read 2659 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »

Amazon is selling them for 129.99, and I couldn't pass it up. I've been wanting to get one just to play the Ys games. I ordered Ys 7 along with it, and will pick up Oath after that. Ys I & II chronicles is a no-brainer for the future.
The only other games that I'm kinda sorta considering are Crisis Core because it's only $10, and maybe Lunar. Because I love me some Lunar. Future Xseed games have me intrigued as well.
I also bought a component cable so I can hook it up to my HDtv. I understand the games may not look that great, but my neck and eyes will thank me.
Back to the point...
Are there any other games that are absolute MUST plays on the PSP? I love the God of War series, but are the portable versions anywhere near as good as the console ones? Metal Gear?

Keep in mind, I really did just buy this thing to play three games. I hardly have time enough to play console games, let alone handhelds. It will really have to be something special for me to play it.
Thanks!

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »

It's not a must play, and it's not "special" but I've been playing metal slug anthology.

You can probably get it for less than 10 and it's awesome. Hop in and out incredible sprite based run and gunning.

Let me know how that tv cable works for you
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »

THat is a sweet deal.... especially considering how much my 1000 model was...bleh.  I'm never first yearing a console again.

Kingdon Hearts BBS was astounding, if not the best of the series yet.  Overlooking the story, the music, graphics, and (especially) gameplay are outstanding.  Looks to be a somewhat model for what FF13:V will play out like as well.

Tactics Ogre will be out, if you like that sorta thing (battles in Tactics games really drain me nowadays; I can barely play without some movie or TV show also on to occupy the in-between time).

Star Ocean 1 is finally playable, and SO2 is a grand ol time.

Those are my suggestions, since I know everyone else is gonna say the other ones I had in mind.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »

I'll second Dice's recommendations, and I'll throw in Half-Minute Hero.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »

Chains of Olympus was great, just short. Ghost of Sparta was longer, looks better and has a bit more to it.... I'd get both if  you can, especially if CoO is cheap.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

Final Fantasy Tactics
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Metal Gear Solid games (and Acid if you want something more strategy like)
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Maverick Hunter X

Off the top of my head.

If you want something your son can also get into, I suggest Invizimals.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »

Damn, Tactics is only $10, too. Add to cart!

I hadn't thought about the kid angle yet. I looked up that Invizimal game, and that sounds like something he would freaking love. He's happily ensconced in Heartgold right now, but it could be a future purchase. Thanks, Ash.

Playing:
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »

I'll throw Persona 3 Portable into the mix just because I loved it so much but with the time you have (or don't to be more specific) I'm not sure you'd really find it a good play. I grinded a lot and played around and it took me about 98 hours to complete, so I'd think about that before a purchase. It is one of the best games I've every played though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

Off the top of my head: Half Minute Hero and Peace Walker are must plays, and you may as well grab Dracula X Chronicles. If you go for other MGS games I wouldn't recommend Portable Ops, even Peace Walker tries to pretend that didn't happen.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »

If we're recommending non-RPGs, Resistance: Retribution and both Syphon Filters are great, and I think Wipeout Pure is one of the best racing games ever. I also second MM: Maverick Hunter X and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »

I don't do Persona. The games are way too long, and I'm not big on the "chatting with demons" business.
Dracula X is tempting, but I've already played both games in some form.
I love Wipeout, but I already own the PS3 version and that's plenty for me.
Peace Walker looks good, but after the ridiculousness of MGS4 I think I'm done with MGS games.

Playing:
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:51:23 PM »

I don't do Persona. The games are way too long, and I'm not big on the "chatting with demons" business.
Peace Walker looks good, but after the ridiculousness of MGS4 I think I'm done with MGS games.

Persona 3 and 4 don't have you talking to demons, and in the case of P3P the changes dramatically shorten the game. Of course, 'dramatically shorten' means it went from 90 hours to 60 hours, so that's probably still too long.

As for Peace Walker: If that's the reason you're hesitant then don't write off the game; it's impressed at least a few people put off by how MGS4 turned out, myself included. At the least give the demo on the PSN a shot, assuming you have a large enough memory stick (and if you don't, well, it's a great investment for installs and downloaded games anyway).
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »

FFT: Tactics Advanced is pretty good.
Star Ocean 1/2
Valkyria Profile if you never played the original on PSX

THat is a sweet deal.... especially considering how much my 1000 model was...bleh.  I'm never first yearing a console again.

Kingdon Hearts BBS was astounding, if not the best of the series yet.  Overlooking the story, the music, graphics, and (especially) gameplay are outstanding.  Looks to be a somewhat model for what FF13:V will play out like as well.

Tactics Ogre will be out, if you like that sorta thing (battles in Tactics games really drain me nowadays; I can barely play without some movie or TV show also on to occupy the in-between time).

Star Ocean 1 is finally playable, and SO2 is a grand ol time.

Those are my suggestions, since I know everyone else is gonna say the other ones I had in mind.

Everyone tells me to try Birth By Speed.  Probably  should go in the trade forum, but anyone want to trade (even if it's temporary)?  Not sure if I should outright buy it or not given that I've never played a KH game before.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

I got a new 3000 a couple years ago for that price at walmart (even though walmart is evil) so I'm surprised it still costs that much.
I agree about Half-Minute Hero and Metal Slug.
FF Tactics and Jeanne D'arc are only about $10 each and that price is a steal.
Little Big Planet is a nice game too and Invizimals requires a ridiculously priced camera to be played AND most reviewers seem to just call it a novelty.
Since you like Lunar and Ys, I suggest Star Ocean.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:16:00 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »

Dead or Alive Paradise. That should keep you busy for the rest of your life. ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: