Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:13:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Phil Harrison will be amazed if the PS4 has a disc drive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Phil Harrison will be amazed if the PS4 has a disc drive  (Read 1502 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

1up story.

You can't predict how far technology can advance in a period of time, but neither should you assume we'll advance so far we no longer /need/ disc drives. Plus what about movies, backwards compatibility, and just owning a physical copy of a game?

Someone needs to shove fistfuls of dollars in his mouth so he stops saying stupid things.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:09:31 PM »

Hey, I heard about this new thing called the internet, and people can publish whatever they want on it!  Books are totally going to be obsolete, I'd be surprised if there were still any print media left by 2004.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »

He's about as bad as Peter Moore.

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:49 AM »

What a buffoon.  I don't think online distribution en masse will be feasible for quite a while.  When games start reaching 10-15 GB size in range, you'll need really fast internet connections to make download times reasonable.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:52 AM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
What a buffoon.  I don't think online distribution en masse will be feasible for quite a while.  When games start reaching 10-15 GB size in range, you'll need really fast internet connections to make download times reasonable.

Possibly more importantly, you need higher bandwidth caps too - last I checked, Cox capped the download bandwidth at 30 GB. That would just barely cover a single layer blu-ray (25 GBs), let alone multilayer ones (going up to god knows how high). If the PS3 genuinely survives for 10 years before a successor emerges, then it might be possible for internet connectivity to improve enough for that.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:31:16 PM »

Hey look at Finland and the rest of the nothern European countries, they've had 30MB/s connections for YEARS.....America just sucks at the internet.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:36:10 PM »

Actually, 100/10 mbit connections are becoming increasingly common here in Sweden. Even my parents have one, and they pay less than $25/month for it.

Oh, and we haven't had bandwith caps in ages.

But yeah, a medialess console will not happen in many years. It will take much longer before enough people have a super-high speed internet connection to make it a feasible (and profitable) choice.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »

Let the guy dream. Sure, he is head of SCE World Wide Studios, but does his statement really matter? For how many years has Sony Computer Entertainment talked about online gaming :P? Must have been five years or so and now they will finally start up their own full-fledged online service later this year. Same with the entire "PlayStation 3 is a super computer discussion". I could not care less what they call it or what they envision for PlayStation 4, as long as I have some solid PlayStation 3 to play :P.

Besides, Sony Computer Entertainment is still a part of Sony Group. And Sony happens to sell both disc drives and disc-based media. And the entire company definitely wants the powerful PlayStation brand to help sell both drives (which are built into the console) and media (which can be played backed on the console).
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:19:40 PM »

Well, I see Digital Distribution as far more feasable as time goes on, especially if games are created with schemes that specifically work with Digital Distribution.  Imagine, you start your download for Half Life 3.  It downloads the base engine, and the textures and setup for the first level, and bam, you're set to play.  As you play the first level, it's downloading the textures and stuff you'll see in the next level.

It could work.  It does now.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »

Isn't that what the Phantom and related devices were supposed to be all about?

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:41 PM »

Sure, it works for the PC. But compared with the sales number for the PS2 (106.23 million units shipped), direct-download games is an icreadibly small market. I'm don't know how many people have bought Half-Life: Episode 1 through Steam, but it's obviously nowhere near 100 million. If you want your console to be successful, you will have to design it so that as many people as possible will be able to use it. And I seriously doubt that we'll see 100 million housholds with good enough connections to make a console without traditional media feasible. At least not in many, many years.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: