Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Print
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  (Read 32641 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »

I was going to buy this until I heard people here and there talking about the difficulty. I'm too old and have too little patience anymore for difficult games.
I cannot stress how much you're missing out by skipping it. If you're worried about difficulty, play on Easy mode.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: April 19, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

They've improved the combat since the original launch. Great update considering it's free.

I'm pretty sure the easiest mode is very forgiving.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

I was going to buy this until I heard people here and there talking about the difficulty. I'm too old and have too little patience anymore for difficult games.
I cannot stress how much you're missing out by skipping it. If you're worried about difficulty, play on Easy mode.

I'm also pretty sure you can change it on the fly, so if you try Normal anyway and decide it's too much, you can scale down to Easy.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 20, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

Easy is very doable. I haven't played since the day it came out but if you're worried about combat you'll be fine on easy. Seriously.

(I am still going to switch to Normal if I don't die anytime soon.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »

I'm playing in normal and it's been fine so far.  Just gotta remember to use ur bombs and traps and such. Sword buffs are very important too, obviously.  It's all about preparation.  The game is crazy good.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »

So is this more like Mass Effect/Dragon Age or like Skyrim? (I like one, but not the other)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »

Gameplay is like... well, none of them. It's a beast unto itself. It's an action RPG, but strategy and tactics matter just as much as reflexes.

Story is more like Skyrim, if Skyrim was less about FUS RO DAH and more about its Game of Thrones-esque political maneuverings.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

It's closer to Bioware in structure, yes. Maybe the best example is Jade Empire actually, focus on a single character and going through areas in a specific order, but with plenty of sidequests and whatnot to tackle.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »

I'm playing in normal and it's been fine so far.  Just gotta remember to use ur bombs and traps and such. Sword buffs are very important too, obviously.  It's all about preparation.  The game is crazy good.

Funny you mentioned the traps, as I particularly never found a proper way to use them. They were somewhat slow to place and by the time you meet enemies, they are already somewhat aggressive so I would never find the proper moment to use them. The only time I thought they were good were in the arena where you have some room to run around.

The bombs on the other hand, at some point I had so many I just starting using them without ever worrying of running out and some do help a lot.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »

I'll give it a try, although my reflexes have never been top notch. I do like DragonAge/Mass Effect as a mage/biotic because I can pause the screen while "choosing a spell" aka looking for enemies and aiming better at them while the screen is paused.  :)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: April 23, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »

There is an action wheel similar to Dragon Age you can open up but it's more of a bullet-time slow down.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

There is an action wheel similar to Dragon Age you can open up but it's more of a bullet-time slow down.

and on the fly, it's pretty much just used to pick your spells if you didn't already have the one you want equipped.  However definitely not something that will save you if it's too late.  I wouldn't worry about reflexes.  Properly reading the situation and preparing a strategy for the fight will go a long way in helping you win.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

The combat reminds me of Mass Effect adaptation to a hack n slash. I think this is what Dragon Age 2's combat system should have been like.

I am loving this game so far, it is very reserved in the beginning playing off like a normal medievil lore with the castle siege and then they throw you into a dark fantasy dream! The voice 'acting' is amazing, but the sound quality is very weird like they are not in the environment that is shown. It sounds like they are always inside. Not a big issue.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:46 AM »

Mass Effect? I don't think so.

To be honest, the best comparison is Batman. Which actually IS cited as a source of inspiration here, so while it's not as autmoatic feeling there is some of that there.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2012, 02:38:33 AM »

Demon's Souls was a cited source, too.

I actually think it feels a bit clunkier than Demon's Souls, which does the slow, cautious, and precise well.  This feels like it attempted slow and precise, but didn't quite go all the way. It's stuck somewhere in an uncomfortable middle ground.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: