Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 06:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338700 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  (Read 33111 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »

Anyone waiting for this ?
Back when The Witcher 1 came out I got the game but ended up not playing it. It had some lag depending on the settings and if I'm not mistaken I was playing Oblivion and ended up not giving it a chance.
Of course I'm willing to give this one a chance. There's a playthrough on one of those beta demos and it looks really good.

The graphics looks amazing for one, design of places looks varied, combat is hard to tell but it seems much more than a simple hack and slash.

Anyway, this is the link to the demo play I've just seen and it does look impressive.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

You should consider picking the Witcher back up.  Download the updates for the Enhanced Edition, which significantly improve performance.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »

Yeah play the first one.

Fuck the Witcher 2 is going to be awesome. Better than any RPG in 2011 probably.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »

Damn, lots of games coming out of Poland these days.

My heart swells with pride
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »

As they say, if you want a game with a lot of polish, get it from Poland.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »

I really like the art direction of this game, is better than the one from Dragon Age and that alone is pretty impressive IMO.

Sadly my laptop is going to die if I try to play this game, and it looks so good. Hope that I can get a new PC to play this and many other games in the future though.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »

I got a new GPU this Christmas so I believe I'll be able to play it at least at medium settings (high FPS).
The only thing that is making me undecided is that I started Fallout New Vegas and was trying to at least finish the main quest for it first, but since a lot of people, including you guys (the ones I trust when it comes to RPG opinions) say it's this good I think I'll give it another chance. Even if I don't finish it, at least to experience the world and all before Witcher 2 comes out.

@Yggdrasil there's a rumor that this game may actually come to consoles. The way I see it, as Atari is a big publisher and they are releasing it in North America they could make a console version and it would benefit them to do it sooner than later as the end of the year there's Dark Souls and Skyrim.
Given how well Oblivion and Dragon Age did on consoles I couldn't see The Witcher 2 doing much worse.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »

DIE SHIT EATER!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »

DIE SHIT EATER!

As long as there's no unreasonable compromises to the design I fail to see the problem.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »

Do old whores have wings, witcher?
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:28 AM »

They've been demoing it at conventions with an Xbox 360 controller, I think a port is quite feasible considering it already supports the control scheme.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »

I think so too, at least for the 360 is it should not be too hard to convert.

I got thank you guys for telling me to play The Witcher 1 (Enhanced). I just installed it this morning and playing the beginning. I had forgotten how awesome the intro is. The music is epic and the scenario doesn't fall behind.
Not to mention that after years of not playing and an buffy upgrade to my PC as everything has become new the game now runs like butter. It's running at 1920x1080 with AA and everything else super smooth. It could look better if I tried but I think I'm pleased as it is now.
Fallout New Vegas is on hold for now, at least the sidequests.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »

Just remember the first chapter isnt the whole game. It REALLY picks up as you go along.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Yeah, the Vizima outskirts are kinda dull up until the very end of it.  Once you get inside the city itself though, you'll have so much shit to do that you won't even know where to start.  And I mean that in the best possible way. :P

Witcher 2 needs to come out fucking now.  It's the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »

Yeah, the Vizima outskirts are kinda dull up until the very end of it.  Once you get inside the city itself though, you'll have so much shit to do that you won't even know where to start.  And I mean that in the best possible way. :P

Witcher 2 needs to come out fucking now.  It's the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Not even Dragon Age 2 ?
I was thinking The Witcher 2 could suffer some tough competition from DA2 as they have relatively close release dates and have a kind of similar style of RPG.
I was inclining to DA2 more until I saw some gameplay for the Witcher 2 and played a bit of the first. And since my cousin said he'll buy it (DA2) I'll play his until a price drop and I'll get the Witcher 2 new.

I just wonder if I'll be able to appreciate the story to it's full if I don't manage to finish the game (which I have to admit happens a lot)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: