Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334413 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  (Read 32621 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »

I like how Ashton's mentioned in his review about the morality choices.  There's a gray side and then there's another gray side.  I like that.  Nothing wrong with Light/Dark or Paragon/Renegade, but this removes the ability to pick something only for the sake of good/bad and really leaves choice up to the individual instead of some stat.

I'd say there's plenty wrong, at least when it's ALL YOU USE. Dragon Age was a bit better, but the Witcher games are still king far as I can tell. Knowing the two branches (roughly) ahead of time doesn't really make it easy to decide which is really preferred.
axhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »

i was soooo pissed when the game made me take that (choose: renegade/paragon) point. why can't i play the way i want to play???!??!?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »

The only way you'll get true, absolute freedom is in a pen & paper campaign where a human DM actively decides where to take things based on your choices. Games can only approximate that so far, though Bioware's made a habit of making it binary, perhaps increasingly so actually.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »

Is there any particular reason why The Witcher 2 wasn't released on PS3?
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

Is there any particular reason why The Witcher 2 wasn't released on PS3?

My guess is that it's more difficult to program for than the Xbox 360.  The 360 has a very PC-esque architecture, which is probably easier for the in-house developers to do.  Remember that CD Projekt isn't a particularly large developer, and they did the port completely in-house.  The PS3, which is an incredibly powerful machine when tapped correctly, isn't the easiest thing in the world to program for.  Likely they didn't have a team with the experience nor the budget to hire those developers.  If the 360 version does well, we can hope, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »

Yeah, pending Sony regulations I imagine we'll see it on PS3 if this isn't and out and out flop, it's just they could only focus on one version at a time to release in a timely manner, and 360's got more appeal in the markets they can more seriously expand in (NA and UK), in addition to being easier to port of course.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

Has anyone read the books this is based after?
Lunateric

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »

Has anyone read the books this is based after?

They are awesome; the writer takes european popular tales (like Rapunzel) and mix then into his books.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

I'm exhausted but I installed and went through the tutorial. It's pretty overwhelming at first and seems very different from any other action wrpg.

Fighting a group of melee dudes is ok... until a magic user shows up. They are ROUGH.

The voice acting is terrific, but it seems weird the way it's mixed in. Maybe it's just shitty in the tutorial, but it seems loud and flat, like they recorded it in a bathroom and didn't mix it in right. Maybe I'm nuts.

I fucking love that opening movie with the assassin on the boat.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »

I was going to buy this until I heard people here and there talking about the difficulty. I'm too old and have too little patience anymore for difficult games.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »

I was going to buy this until I heard people here and there talking about the difficulty. I'm too old and have too little patience anymore for difficult games.

It does have difficulty settings, you could try it on easy. The beginning of the game is by far the hardest part - once you gain some levels and put skill points into the abilities that improve your defence it becomes significantly easier. The one that reduces damage from being attacked from behind is a must.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:48:47 PM by DPB » Logged
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »

It does have difficulty settings, you could try it on easy. The beginning of the game is by far the hardest part - once you gain some levels and put skill points into the abilities that improve your defence it becomes significantly easier. The one that reduces damage from being attacked from behind is a must.

My buddy that bought it said the difficulty was set by the game depending on how well you did during the beginning?
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »

At the end of the tutorial it recommends a setting for you. You can pick what you want. I think it tells you to take easy unless you manage to kill everyone in the last wave.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »

You would be missing out.  You can save at any time and auto save saves frequently so even when you DO die, you don't lose that much progress.  I've died numerous times and I've never gotten mad.  There's always something you can learn about the situation to win the next time. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: