Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335244 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  2011 - The best year ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: 2011 - The best year ever?  (Read 5837 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »

Evil Leliana was cool.
Good Leliana was crazy... and not the good crazy.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

I hold to 1998 as my favorite year for games by the way.

A strong contender. Here's what I have on 1998. I'll update as a deepen my search on some lost gems.

RPG
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Parasite Eve

Non-RPG
Half Life
Metal Gear Solide
Starcraft
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Unreal
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »

Metal Gear Solid? Yup, 1998 gets my vote. This year might be the best for RPGs, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »

Annubis, you forgot Thief: The Dark Project.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

I hold to 1998 as my favorite year for games by the way.

A strong contender. Here's what I have on 1998. I'll update as a deepen my search on some lost gems.

RPG
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Parasite Eve

Non-RPG
Half Life
Metal Gear Solide
Starcraft
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Unreal

On the RPG front there's also Pokemon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Xenogears, and Magic Knight Rayearth, even if some of those came out a year or more earlier in Japan. Outside of RPGs there was also Resident Evil 2, Tenchu, Mega Man Legends, and some games that are more debatable like Banjo-Kazooie and Spyro. At the very least it was THE best year for the 32-bit generation.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »

Sounds fair except

Magic Knight Rayearth

That game was awful and I feel like I just lost both my testes announcing I played it =/
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »

Sounds fair except

Magic Knight Rayearth

That game was awful and I feel like I just lost both my testes announcing I played it =/

I remember playing that on the SNES emulator (since it wasn't coming here unless hell froze and heaven burned) - the thing I liked about it was playing it at 2x speed - the boss theme sounded wicked then (double kick drum and everything). 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 12:04:32 AM »

I liked the show Magic Knight Rayearth, I'll have to try out the Saturn game someday.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »

This is practically demanding an avatar quote.

I remember playing that on the SNES emulator (since it wasn't coming here unless hell froze and heaven burned) - the thing I liked about it was playing it at 2x speed - the boss theme sounded wicked then (double kick drum and everything). 

It IS a very different game, being developed by Sega themselves. It was an enjoyable action RPG of the kind most common during the 8-bit and 16-bit generations, and the fact those aren't quite as common now means it may well be worth playing if you can land a copy conveniently enough. I wouldn't actively hunt it down though.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »

This is practically demanding an avatar quote.

It IS a very different game, being developed by Sega themselves. It was an enjoyable action RPG of the kind most common during the 8-bit and 16-bit generations, and the fact those aren't quite as common now means it may well be worth playing if you can land a copy conveniently enough. I wouldn't actively hunt it down though.

Myabe it's for the best I emulated it (and it wasn't translated).  Kinda the case with ASH on the DS.... brrrr, that left a weird taste in my mouth.

Actually, in my emulating escapade (again, titles that didn't have a chance getting here) - the amount of weird shitty and bizarre JRPGs released during the SNES were both cheap and uninspiring.  I can easily say we got the best of what was worth it (except Terranigma, to the US anyways).  J-only exceptions I'd say is Star Ocean 1 and Tales of Phantasia (and were nevertheless brought here by a remake...albeit shitty ones). 

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/love-quest/screenshots  I'll just leave that here.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »

1998 was boss, Panzer dragoon saga, Xenogears and MGS are enough to make it my favorite year. This year is looking pretty good though, if the last guardian gets a 2011 release date it might top 1998 in my book.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

March will be the dlc month for me. Dead Space 2, Castlevania LoS, new characters for MvC3, maps for killzone 3...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »

For sure, I'm getting Tales of Xillia, Disgaea 4, and Tactics Ogre this year. I have such a huge backlog that I'm only gonna buy games I really, really want.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »

Right now, the only thing that I (and many people) want is a release date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Every other big-budget title that I'm interested is going to be released by the end of this year or the next one, and with that time, I'll have the opportunity to catch up with some of these DLC and PSN games that I've been missing out.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:15:08 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »

Looking at 2011, it's been a long while since there were so many games I want packed in 365 days. Looking at the incoming big/revolutionary titles, we are getting (I probably forgot some, so say and I'll edit the list) it makes me wonder if there was ever a better year to be a gamer.

Non-RPG:
Katawa Shoujo

Is that actually coming out this year?  I thought it was in eternal limbo or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: