Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Help! In need of relaxing OSTs/specific music tracks to listen to...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Help! In need of relaxing OSTs/specific music tracks to listen to...  (Read 3262 times)
FeatherFang

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:06:13 PM »

Hello, I'm new here so sorry if I did something wrong like post in the wrong section. I found this site while looking up music and of course I like listening to RPGs music and I eventually stumbled here because of Romancing SaGa. So I usually listen to most OSTs that have some rock (I really like Falcom haha), but I would think it would be a waste to just have specific tracks from OSTs and the Zune HD has tedious software for organizing them, so I always have a whole OST for just about any game in my MP3 player.

So sorry to ask this (if I posted in the right location, I did read that rules, but forgive me if I missed anything).
So I have frequent headaches and such throughout the day and I may have to say I am going through depression. Though I have been going to RPPGFan for a while, I actually have never been on the forums.

So I don't have too much time to read all the thousands of OSTs the site has reviewed (I wish there was some kind of suggestion OSTs or something) and suggest me anything, because I can probably get the OST (according to the rules I should not speak about how I get them)  but anyways, I'll most likely find them somehow.

I've been having trouble doing homework and I am not musically intelligent either. I do not have a high opinion on my tastes (Plus all I do is listen to video game music...), but I do love battle themes the most. However, (through my experiences) most battle themes are... more about excitement and rocking? Sorry for my lack of vocabulary on the subject.

I'm sorry for typing something so long, you don't have to read it haha... but i just need help with them central question in the topic title I made.

I just need some music on which I can relax to while I'm doing my homework (usually with my daily headaches). Right now I can only think of some tracks from Chrono Cross, but I'm pretty young and need more veterans to help me. So please suggest me anything!

So thank you (and sorry for the confusing layout of my post and thanks if you read through all of it)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »

For starters anything form the  Genso Suikoden  Celtic, Asian, or piano collections.
also Saga Frontier II and Unlimited Saga osts

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »

HOWDY! This is Patrick, head of our Soundtracks section @ RPGFan. You are just the kind of person I really respect. Good for you, liking Falcom and Romancing SaGa!

Some places to start:

1) GOOD ARRANGED ALBUMS~~~
You should pick up Xenogears CREID, Uncharted Waters II Special Edition, SaGa Frontier II Piano~Rhapsody, Chill SQ, and maybe something like 7th Dragon or Etrian Odyssey (Sekiaju no MeiQ) Piano/Strings. This is good homework music. I also recommend pretty much any Dragon Quest Symphonic Suite, but pull out the battle music and the overture. Keep everything else.

2) CUSTOM PLAYLISTS WITHIN AWESOME OSTS~~~
Everyone is freaking out about how great NieR is, and for good reason. Pull out Grandma, Song of the Ancients, the slow version of the Kaine track, and a few other slow/soft pieces from that OST. You don't want big epic choral stuff knocking you sideways in the middle of a Calculus problem.
Plenty of other OSTs that you can pull from. You already said Chrono Cross (excellent choice!). Check out Vagrant Story and Legend of Mana, those are other great 32-bit items from Square.

3) SOME OSTS THAT WORK FOR YOU, START TO FINISH
Call me crazy, but chiptunes are soothing. So pick up the old FF3 OST, and the first Seiken Densetsu OST (get it packed with its arranged tracks too, "Seiken Densetsu Sound Collection" is the album). Also consider getting this great $1 album on Bandcamp for "Tower of Heaven."
Also good: Classic Dungeon, Tokyo Mono Harashi etcetc, and if you can find it, the Shiren the Wanderer Chunsoft Anniversary box. :)

That's a small sampling. But it should do the trick. :)

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »

I am another game music nut, but I have nowhere near the extensive knowledge that Pat has, so trust him on his recs.
I second Xenogears Creid. Great cd.
Suikoden Orrizonte is a pretty quiet cd, too.
I like Ys symphony 95. I listen to it quite frequently at work Slower versions of the great rock tunes you know and love.
I also have a Ys piano collection that's pretty good. I don't recall which one specifically, though.
I also agree with Pat on chip tunes. They might not work for the "younger" generation, but for those of us who have been playing games since the 8-bit days, they really give off a great vibe.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »

If you can still get ahold of the Falcom albums recommended by Grim ... yeah, those are awesome. Orrizonte is an easy one to grab, it's still in stock at many online stores. Absolutely worth it.

FeatherFang

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can get. I know I should have listened to Suikoden OSTs, but there are so many games I haven't played and yet I have their OSTs lol. Its just strange, though I'm getting used to having not played the games of more than 50% of the OSTs I've listened to. Also with the huge library of Falcom albums, I've honestly haven't listened to all of them (which I should have said).

I think I can get to liking chiptunes.  The chiptunes I have listened to most are from Rockman, but that music isn't the type since most of the OSTs are up beat and rockin'.

Though I can't believe how long ago it was when I listened to Seiken Densetsu and SaGa 2. I didn't think FFIII sounded so nice either. Though I'm quite excited to listen to Suikoden's albums, since all (I think) of have always been positively reviewed.

Thanks, I was going to type more, but I gotta go now.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »

Sakuraba is pretty good with the really mellow tracks, problem is you gotta filter them out from the heavier battle sequences.
I loved the FFV Dear Friends Arrange as well.
Chrono Cross has also placed me in a mellow state - none of the dungeons are really chaotic for being dungeons, and the battle themes aren't anything too wild.

And like everyone else said, orchestral albums, they're much bigger nowadays.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:43 PM »

For starters anything form the  Genso Suikoden  Celtic or Asian collections

I don't mind the piano collections, but prefer the two mentioned above.

Also, Nier.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »

For starters anything form the  Genso Suikoden  Celtic or Asian collections

I don't mind the piano collections, but prefer the two mentioned above.

Also, Nier.

I have a number of all OSTs mention above on my iPod.... funny enough, because I wanted "chill music" while I was doing work/assignments.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »

Check out Mana Khemia's 1 OST. Usually anything Team Gust I like, examples being Atelier Iris 2 and said Mana Khemia.
Final Fantasy Crisis Core for a tiny bit heavier. A good relaxer is Fragile's ost and Final fantasy Chrystal Chronicle [Gamecube]. The Wild Arms series usually has a good group of relaxing and exciting tunes.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

"Wild Arms Music the Best  feeling wind" piano album is really good.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »

and maybe something like 7th Dragon or Etrian Odyssey (Sekiaju no MeiQ) Piano/Strings.

The Piano and Strings from Etrian Odyssey I&II is my favorite album regarding video game music (drammatica from Yoko Shimomura comes very close though). Too bad that the one from 7th Dragon is really underwhelming, like SaGa 2 remake underwhelming.

Also, nobody mentioned Eternity ~Memory of Light and Waves~ from Final Fantasy X-2? This is without question the best album of the franchise IMO, 3 tracks full of win.

I also enjoyed the "Final Fantasy III Eternal Legend of the Wind" arrange album and the "Potion" albums, this one is just a bunch of selected tracks from the series, the first one is better than the second one. But there's good stuff for everyone there.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-elZ1t-M7s

(And pretty much a majority of everything else from that game.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidOQQDaCbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8LgtnN4yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRaXqbAuFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pimu1GOKuJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPpVplHiDE

(This one's not from an RPG, but it's still epic relaxing stuff.)

That's all from the top of my head, meaning I've most likely forgotten some epic tunes, but those are good starters.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »

I really like the Fable soundtrack.  Mostly chill and relaxing stuff.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

So I have frequent headaches and such throughout the day and I may have to say I am going through depression.

I might have an idea how you are feeling.

I don't have much in the way of OST suggestions, unfortunately. In particular, SimCity 3, Chrono Cross, and Earthbound are the only OSTs I listen to that frequently. I will list off some general albums though. I listened to a lot of this stuff when I was having similar issues, so hopefully it helps you.

* Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
* Espers - Espers II
Brian Eno - Another Green World
* Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Brian Eno & Cluster - After the Heat
Blue Man Group - Audio
* The Verve - Urban Hymns
* Over the Rhine - Ohio
Over the Rhine - Drunkar's Prayer
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Lie Down in the Light
Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Company
Iron and Wine - The Woman King
* Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

SimCity 3's soundtrack should be freely available on Maxis' webpage somewhere.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: