Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327473 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Gigs!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gigs!  (Read 2045 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »

Summer is a time of gigs, of festivals especially. So I thought I'd make a thread for people to show off who they're seeing live, and make other people jealous!

I can't make it to any major festivals this year. I'd love to go to Graspop of Wacken (damn you Losfer!!! :P), but I can't really afford to travel to Europe and everything. I should have gone to Download here in the UK, Metallica played a seriously kick arse 2.5 hour set, including Master of Puppets in its entirety.

But anyway. In 19 days I'm seeing Roger Waters live in Hyde Park. He's been playing an amazing setlist, which includes Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety. Apparently he's singing a bit better than at Live 8 as well.

End of September I'm seeing Porcupine Tree. I'm very much hoping someone in particular will accompany me to it :P I need to get an introductory CD to him before tickets sell out.

And then in December I'm seeing Iron Maiden. Sucks that I couldn't go with Los, but I didn't want to miss out, so alas, I am going on my own!

I hope to go to a few more as well, namely Opeth and Blind Guardian.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:51:24 PM »

Now since I've gotten my metalhead friend into thinking about going to concerts we have a chance of going to a few. The one I know I have the greatest chance of going to is the Blind Guardian one in December and Kamelot and Epica in September. Other shows I might be able to go to are Cellador in August, Ozzfest in August with oldest brother, and Family Values just so I can see Dir En Grey in September.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:07:08 PM »

Aaaah, a concert thread!  

This past Saturday I saw my friends' band Le Adder Noir perform at Court Tavern in New Brunswick (NJ) along with some other bands (SydBarret, Beta Leg, Red All Over.)  Le Adder Noir were my favorite of the night.  Syd were good- they were like prog-metalcore (think Between the Buried and Me).  Beta Leg had talent but their music was boring as hell.  I found Red All Over pretty crap as well.  

Hopefully my band will get to play a show at the Court in the fall.  After all, it is *the* venue in New Brunswick for original rock acts.  

Speaking of my band, we're still getting the demo ready, so no shows for a while.  Though we may try to get some basement shows since New Brunswick has an extensive network of those.  

The prior weekend, I was at a backyard party where a bunch of bands in myriad genres played.  There was this emo band called Aiming for Angels.  A grindcore band called Doomsday Machine Schematic.  A ska band.  My friends' punk band Venereal Exchange who got the whole shindig shut down by the cops.  

I may try to catch Divinity Destroyed later this summer when they play in Jersey.  

If Suspyre plays Hamilton Stree cafe, I'll definitely go to that.  My friends in Asylum are trying to snag a slot with them for that show.  

I may even make the trek to Staten Island later this summer to catch Ripped ImPrints.  I haven't seen them play in a while and they rip shit up.

I approve of this nonsense!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:21:03 PM »

Only festival I am seeing this year is in September called Bumbershoot. It's a Labor Day weekend fest that's been going on in Seattle for well over 30 years.

The Lineup...or rather: the lineup that people might care about.

Kanye West
AFI
Yellowcard
Hawthorne Heights
Common

There're probably another 40+ bands there but most of them are still very unknown, but every year there's a new talent that makes it a couple years later. (Modest Mouse anyone?)

Oh and earlier this year I saw The Strokes....which was a great concert by the by.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:02:56 PM »

Damn it Deg, Porcupine Tree play in Manchester, like, five days after they play in London.  :P  WE SHOULD GO TO BOTH.

As I mentioned in the recent purchases thread, my girlfriend Myau and I won tickets from Terrorizer magazine to the Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium where we'll get to see Nile, Cradle of Filth, Dragonforce, Opeth, Motorhead, Lacuna Coil, Saxon...  And lots more.  It's three days long and all we need to do is...  Find a decently affordable flight to get us there.  :|

We're also planning on seeing Lacuna Coil on the 12th of October, Opeth on the 10th of November, Dragonforce on the 8th of December, and Hawkwind on the 15th of December.  ...And this is all just at Manchester Academy.  :P

Plus Maiden is playing in December...

Too bad we couldn't swing seeing King Diamond this week, Deg.  :(

England has a few more shows than Nova Scotia.  :P

[EDIT]

Well, Louise can't make it, cause she just started a new job.  So Deg's coming with me instead.  :P

...Although I'm sure the lot of us will just go to Wacken anyway.

\m/ KORPIKLAANI \m/

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:05:12 PM »

Gigs?  Well my band's playing our first real gig tonight, at the Court Tavern in New Brunswick, NJ.  It's a show people actually have to pay to get into and if we bring a good head count, we may even get some cash out of it.    

I'm soooo looking forward to playing this show.  After spending loads of time in the dungeon/studio and at the end of it all deciding that the demo is not up to our standards, I'm so happy to finally be doing what I/the band do best: play live!  We're itching to play as many open mics, basements shows, etc. as we can to gain exposure.

I approve of this nonsense!
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:32 PM »

Hope it all goes brilliantly, Nealy-boy!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Burning Dragon

mmmdugger1@wmconnect.com mmmdugger1 mike_humbug
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »

Ugh, I missed Kataklysm and Deicide a month or so back, and I missed Three Inches of Blood last week. =|

I may see Bleeding Through in August, just so I can watch their hot keyboardist play. :P

Oh, and possibly Orgin in a couple weeks.  I think that's how you spell their name. :P
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 11:41:17 PM »

Ozzfest Review:

I missed SYL but could hear parts of Love? and You Suck while waiting in line to get in. The only band I really listened to at Second Stage was Walls of Jericho and they blew big time. The chick is really ugly and looks 40. Bad Acid Trip was just dumb. The guy was basicly singing to himself.

Dragonforce: Great but the drums were so fucking loud and you couldn't really hear anything besides ZP and the drums. Vadim broke out with a keytar for about half the time. Meeting them and getting them to sign IH and take pictures with was cool.

Fury Of The Storm
Inhuman Rampage song (Operation Ground And Pound is my guess)
Through The Fire And Flames
Valley Of The Damned

Lacuna Coil: I really liked them for hearing them for the first time. I can only remember two songs.

Heaven's A Lie
the Depeche Mode cover

Hatebreed: The music isn't my thing but they were entertaining.

A7X: They were okay and they hardly played anything.

Unholy Confessions
Burn It Down
Walk along with some other singer
Bat Country

Disturbed: I've never really given them a chance while listening to them but they were great and had a nice patriotic type thing at the end before  
Down With The Sickness.

SOAD: They were great. This old dude who was playing guitar randomly at the venue came up on stage with them for some songs and played with them. Serj and Daron did a lot of dancing.http://http://
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »

I may be seeing Sonic Youth in Boston on Septmeber 3. I just don't want to deal with that traffic. It will be terrible.

I saw the RX Bandits earlier this year.

I've played probably around 10 or so shows this year myself, one of which was just me and an acoustic guitar. I've also seen some a lot of local shows this year.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Burning Dragon

mmmdugger1@wmconnect.com mmmdugger1 mike_humbug
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 10:22:36 PM »

I may see Blind Guardian in December.  Fairly sure I am.  It's right before Christmas, so I'll just see if that can be my Christmas present. :P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: