Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340864 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sorry/ RPG graphics debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Sorry/ RPG graphics debate  (Read 9385 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »

Can we ban this troll already

Thoren, you put a huge grin on my face. I needed that, thank you. :)

I'm guessing no one wants to talk about this subject huh.... -_-

I edited my post for relevance :P

EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »

Yeah, it's a REALLY bad idea to start a new topic that's continuing a topic that got locked for misbehavior. I'll leave it open for now in case it somehow actually remains civil, but I'm not expecting that to last long.

When it comes to art styles I DO favor a more cartoony look, an umbrella both anime styles and stuff like Brutal Legend fall under, but I can like or at least appreciate a wide variety, and usually the most suitable one for a game IS picked; something like Demon's Souls can not have the same art style as a Tales game. It's a shame if you won't try a game due to its visual style not fitting a narrow preference, it's the kind of hurdle you need to just blow off and get past, especially because you just might appreciate the variety once you've taken the time to go through the games.

Not that there aren't limits, but those usually end up being more technical in nature and the kind of thing that can actually cause physical pain.

Thank you very much oh kind moderator^^ But yeah I'm glad you're seeing my point, and it truly is a shame because I do think alot of these WRPGs do have a lot of things I know I would love. I just wish developers could release two or three art-style versions of a game that way everyone would be pleased.

On the wider scale of this topic (Might be a bit OT since it's more about games in general and not RPGS but whateves just tell me if it is OT) it seems that people in the gaming community and fandom really do detest gamers like me who do pick games solely by the graphics first and everything else second. I always feel we get bashed alot everywhere and good-lord how many youtube rants are made about us so called "graphics-whores." Just what is it about people who value graphics that makes everyone so atagonistic compared to people who value storyline or gameplay over everything else.

I really just don't get it, but I guess this is probably like those Console Wars/fanboys debate, there are no easy answers huh.

Avid Grandia and Lunar Fan
Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »

I suppose when most of the games you own are JRPGs that it can't be helped. Although I do have a preference for the anime art style.

EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20:37 AM »

I suppose when most of the games you own are JRPGs that it can't be helped. Although I do have a preference for the anime art style.

Hmm maybe that has skewed my view a bit :/ But again I'm just really getting sick of all the bashing on gamers that think graphics are important. It's especially bad over at gamefaqs I noticed, you mentioned that you decide to play a game based on the graphics first, and you get burned at the stake.

I don't know what's worse, this or the whole Hardcore gamers vs. Casual gamers war going on with Nintendo.

Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »

For the sake of clarification are you talking about art style or graphics because I'm a bit confused.

EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »

For the sake of clarification are you talking about art style or graphics because I'm a bit confused.

Aren't they sometimes the same 0_0

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 02:30:17 AM »

Aren't they sometimes the same 0_0
Well yeah I suppose it just seems like you're talking more about art style to be exact.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:05 AM »

Wow, what did I miss?

Anyway, if a game doesn't appeal to me visually I'll probably dismiss it. A recent example is Tales of Graces, I'm completely put off by the art style. There are exceptions though, If otherwise the game is really good I'll still check it out of course. Nier was such a game, after watching a few videos I thought it was the most boring and bland game in recent memory, fortunately the word of mouth on message boards made me curious enough to try it and wouldn't you know it? Not only is it one of my favorite games this gen but it also manages to look pretty good sometimes.

My point is, even if visually the game doesn't click with you don't dismiss it right away.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 04:53:14 AM »

I don't care what a game looks like so long as it is fun.

One possible exception would be some of the early 3D stuff (like PSX era) in which characters were nothing but a handful of jagged polygons.  That really hasn't aged well.  I can play older sprite-based games just fine, but there is something about the early years of 3D games I can't stand.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:20 AM »

One possible exception would be some of the early 3D stuff (like PSX era) in which characters were nothing but a handful of jagged polygons.  That really hasn't aged well.  I can play older sprite-based games just fine, but there is something about the early years of 3D games I can't stand.

I second that.  I can play SNES or Mega Drive games with no problem, but anything on the PlayStation that is 3D with sprites... urgh.

Yeah, definitely.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »

But gamers like me have to miss out on them because graphics are our number one priority. It's really not fair....

See, I'm the opposite. I only like games that have atrocious graphics and beautiful gameplay. It's not fair that all these games that come out are basically button-crunching eye candy. 

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »

My personal opinion, is that graphics don't matter. Period. What matters is the game itself, be it gameplay, story, music, etc. It doesn't matter what the game looks like so long as it's functional. Now, I too haven't been able to get into WRPG's, but it's not because of the graphics at all; I just can't get into the gameplay of them, though explaining that isn't important here. (Unless someone really wants to know.)

Bottomline, if I can play it, I'll play it, regardless of how much of an eyesore it may be.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »

Graphics need to be functional. And as said above some of the PS1 stuff is just brutal, but most of the good RPGs still look good. It's the dedicated 3D games that look bad, with all the texture warping and such
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »

Graphics can play a part on whether I buy a game at release at full price or not, but it is not the only factor. Most of the time graphics isn't even a major factor. There are exceptions, I am usually very harsh on the art styles of Visual Novels. If I don't like artstyle, unless its highly regarded I won't bother with it. I will usually give a flawed game a try after a price drop/ Ebay snipe as long there is some part of the game that interests me, gameplay, story,  premise, characters, etc. I have been an anime fan since I was around 12, so yeah, I like anime styled graphics. I also like realistic graphics as well, games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 look amazing. The Witcher 2's  graphics look phenomenal and I am going enjoy seeing how well my upgraded computer measures up to it performance wise.

I second that.  I can play SNES or Mega Drive games with no problem, but anything on the PlayStation that is 3D with sprites... urgh.
Totally agree!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »

Wow, what did I miss?

Anyway, if a game doesn't appeal to me visually I'll probably dismiss it. A recent example is Tales of Graces, I'm completely put off by the art style. There are exceptions though, If otherwise the game is really good I'll still check it out of course. Nier was such a game, after watching a few videos I thought it was the most boring and bland game in recent memory, fortunately the word of mouth on message boards made me curious enough to try it and wouldn't you know it? Not only is it one of my favorite games this gen but it also manages to look pretty good sometimes.

My point is, even if visually the game doesn't click with you don't dismiss it right away.

I don't mind anime styled graphics - it's just a shame J-companies can rarely do it to look good.  I personally loved the hybrid anime-realism that Resonance of Fate pulled, hell, at least it was textured at least.  And while I get what Tales does, it tries to look kinda like a... big-headed anime in some sort of pastel backdrop, it works for it... I just wish the res was higher.  There is really room for improvement at the very least.

I don't really care though.  I'm more upset when you can clearly tell that the developers didn't really try.  Nier is sort of an example... man-Nier is fucken hideous, but for me it's the environments really stink, or lacking (a better way to put it).

Otherwise, I don't care, I still play SNES titles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: