Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 11:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331639 Posts in 13578 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Riviera for the PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Riviera for the PSP  (Read 3948 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 11:21:48 AM »

Quote from: "Testament"
The portraits look like they are at a higher resolution but the ingame stuff definitely looks like some crappy filter job.  I wonder if they will take the time to re-master the music...

In any case...  SCEA, "Denied."

... most likely.

I hate that pessimism, but fuck if SCEA isn't being total dickwads about this shit at the moment.

Still though, the extensive use of voice acting, if dubbed, may make it OK. I dunno, like noted before if the cinemas worked for VP, VA may work for ToP, and this as well.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »

I think the backgrounds in those screens look fantastic, but the character sprites look incredibly bland. They could have at least added some more color to them and maybe try to make the faces a little more clear. But yea, this isn't enough to convince me to purchase the port.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »

I think it looks better on the GBA personally.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 01:57:30 PM »

The naysayers have something wrong with their eyes.

Or more likely they're forgetting that Sting is a small as hell company. So small that they can only apparently work on one game at a time.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »

Almost 20 games since 1989 is indeed not bad for a shop with only about 30 employees.
vanexel

cedricthegreat
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »

I will import this too.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Or more likely they're forgetting that Sting is a small as hell company. So small that they can only apparently work on one game at a time.

You honestly think this is a substantial improvement over this:

I think you're the one who has bad eyes.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 09:52:35 PM »

Sorry, but no.

They were meant to be displayed at the GBA resolution.  Blowing them up and applying a filter is not going to make them more detailed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »

Sorry, but no.

They were meant to be displayed at the GBA resolution.  Blowing them up and applying a filter is not going to make them more detailed.

Wrong, technically. They were meant for a WonderSwan Color screen, not the GBA. Still though, they gave that a more significant visual overhaul than this (portraits that don't suck ass!), and the resolutions were probably much closer.

I think it'd be better if they stopped and really took their time with this. Not releasing it as 'Riviera plus voice acting', but as "Riviera with voice acting, animated portraits, and more unique backgrounds". Heck, just upgrading the damn sprites, the one thing I think looks the worst there, would be great.

But then they might as well just make Riviera 2 for the PSP.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 11:03:42 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
But then they might as well just make Riviera 2 for the PSP.

If they made Riviera 2 for the PSP, I would be extremely upset!  I really don't want to buy a PSP.  The PSP to me isn't a good piece of hardware!  But if they keep making games for it that I want, I might cave in. . . So far, there are only 2 games that I would get for it:  Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Phantasia, but since I can play these on other systems, I'm fine playing the other versions to avoid getting a PSP.  I hope the same will happen to Riviera 2 when it is made.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 11:05:52 PM »

The PSP and DS aren't in the same situation as the current roster of home consoles, where you can release near-identical versions on all systems with minimal loss. the PSP and DS need games specifically tailored to them moreso, and a Riviera on PSP and DS would likely be very different titles.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 11:46:26 PM »

They actually look like the game does when I tried different filters on it with visual boy advance emulator, at twice the size res.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 02:43:35 AM »

Quote from: "jj984jj"

You honestly think this is a substantial improvement over this:

I think you're the one who has bad eyes.

I never said it was a substantial improvement. But hey, I guess it's alright for you to have selective arguments that ignore half of my post, because that doesn't require intelligence, now does it?

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 09:41:42 AM »

I never said it was a substantial improvement. But hey, I guess it's alright for you to have selective arguments that ignore half of my post, because that doesn't require intelligence, now does it?

Aren't you the one that said smoothing the hell out of them with some crappy filter makes them more "detailed"?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 10:00:25 AM »

Aren't you the one that said smoothing the hell out of them with some crappy filter makes them more "detailed"?

To be fair, it's zoomed in, so I think smaller details, even when smoothed like that, might stand out more.

If he doesn't mean that, then it's the more likely 'damn the portraits look better'. Which is the one distinct improvement I can see, even though there's not as many samples as I'd like. Unlike the backgrounds and the like, they probably had higher res versions of those portraits that got used over the versions used for the GBA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: