Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329761 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Has anyone here ever designed their own RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Has anyone here ever designed their own RPG?  (Read 3882 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »

I'm curious to know what goes into the making of an RPG.  Fact is, I came up with an RPG idea twelve years ago that I think I would like to actually see made into a game, so I'd like to know a bit about the process.  Like, how do you make graphics and integrate them into the game, how do you compose music, if you wanted to make an animated cutscene a la the Sega CD version of Lunar, how would you do it?

Obviously, I'm not talking about RPG Maker.
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:11:05 PM »

Long ago, my friends and I would draw up RPG characters, create stories and spells, but I've never considered trying to actually create an RPG from scratch. I'm sure we all have our idea of the "perfect RPG" in our minds, though. I don't have the skills neccessary to make it a reality.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:49:11 AM »

I know you said you aren't talking about RPG Maker, but to tell you the truth, the new XP version of the series is pretty versitle when it comes to a lot of the stuff you've listed (graphics, music, cutscenes, etc). Well, if you are willing to get to know the program on a deeper than normal basis that is (which I am not).

But since you aren't talking about RPG Maker, then I don't have a proper response :P
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:06:40 AM »

Quote from: "James8BitStar"
I'd like to know a bit about the process.  Like, how do you make graphics and integrate them into the game, how do you compose music, if you wanted to make an animated cutscene a la the Sega CD version of Lunar, how would you do it?

Obviously, I'm not talking about RPG Maker.

It truly depends of the game project. Each project isnít working exactly the same.

Do you intend to make a PC game? A console game? A cell phone game?

Dependably of the targeted platform, the way you create and integrate the elements inside the game slightly differs.

If you want a good advice study everything before to throw yourself into a big game project. First, start making smaller games for fun in order to really understand what a real game project implies.
Alt.S

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:21:35 PM »

It's not from scratch, but Fallout 2 is (with the right tools) very easy to modify into whatever story you'd like. It isnt completely flexible (battle system, skills, and perspective remain) but to see your ideas realized into something that is actually playable is something special.

Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:01:31 AM »

Seeings that I am 3 months away from completing my course in Game Art and Design, I could probably run you through the entire process. But, I won't. Why? Its a huge novel best left to people who have published work :P

Go to  your nearest Chapters and just pick one up and read it.

I'll tell you one thing though, if you're thinking of "idea", you won't be doing anything but that. A designer's job is to do just that: design. And even that is seperated into different job categories. You have your game designers, level designers, quest designers, and so on. Lead Designer will have the roll of the "core" idea and keeping all his designers working to achieve a common goal. He has some say as to what gets to go into the game and such.

Now, if you think designers have a say in what they make, you are gravely mistaken. That role falls under the pretty umbrella of the Producers and Executive Producers. Very rarely will you see Designers in these positions, unless its a smaller group. In some cases, these guys would go on to become the Producers of their company and hire designers into their old roles.

Anyway, enough babbling :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »

C++ is more versatile than RPG Maker XP. It's probably also easier in the long run. Engines you make yourself are always going to do what you want them to do, and you'll know how they work. You don't have to learn the ins and outs of some sort of proprietary software.

That, and RPGMXP costs way too much money.

Honestly, programming isn't really that hard. Some people make it SEEM hard because they like feeling leet, but really, if you can type, you can program.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Honestly, programming isn't really that hard. Some people make it SEEM hard because they like feeling leet, but really, if you can type, you can program.

It depends.

I agree that programming isnít hard when you take all the necessary time to learn it and put it into practice everyday.

But it isnít just about typingÖ itís more than that.. The more a project become larger, the more you have to code in an efficient way.

In order to work with a large group of people itís important to use good programming practices and standards.

Also you have to keep everything condensed. For example if you code a program using 150 lines when it could easily take only 20 lines, then itís not good at all.

You need to know about testing fundamentals as well.

If you work on a large project you need to know about modular programming techniques. You need to make everything easy for changes.

Etc, etc, etc.

But I agree, programming is like everything else; everyone can learn it with a lot of patience.
mazohyst

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 06:28:36 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

yeah, anyone can code, or write a song, or write a novel... but it takes some kind of inate talent, or alot of practice at least, to do it well :) I suppose it's more instinctive for some people than others. blackthirteen pretty much already ripped into that whole subject, though :P

for the OP, assuming you have people already talented with graphics and music,  and/or programing, it shouldn't be too difficult... it sounds to me like you want to design more than anything else, so i'd suggest taking a look through http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=122
as there may be alot of things you might not have thought about when it comes to even just designing the game. gamasutra.com is a good source as well. but your question is pretty ambiguous at best, extremely complicated, at worst :) you'll need people proficient in all the other aspects to make a decent game. i think rpgs are far more complex than most other games. but i'm mostly a story/dialogue writer :P who is currently drunk :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »

Oh, large project management isn't programming specific. Novel writing? Composing? Making a game in ZZT? You're still going to be using it, and it really boils down to the same concepts.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Citan

jfdumoulin@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 03:36:05 PM »

A few years ago, I started working on a Zelda quest using the Zelda Classic program (which allows you to edit your own quest). Unfortunately, I've had a HD problem and lost my files in the process.

I'm still planning to make my own Zelda game someday. In fact, I have came up with my own storyline, which would take up to six games to realize!
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 03:52:35 PM »

Quote from: "Citan"
I'm still planning to make my own Zelda game someday. In fact, I have came up with my own storyline, which would take up to six games to realize!

Or one very long game.
Citan

jfdumoulin@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »

Heh, that'd be a very complex game, as it would take place in six different time periods with over a hundred dungeons involved. :D
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 01:00:37 AM »

Quote from: "Citan"
Heh, that'd be a very complex game, as it would take place in six different time periods with over a hundred dungeons involved. :D

You actually have this all planned out?  I tend to think my ideas are going to be very long, but when I get around to putting them on paper find they're actually quite short.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: