Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338614 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Support your local game store!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Support your local game store!  (Read 4730 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »

i buy my games from gamestop or the exchange thats across the street from it.

That's weird, aren't they part of the same chain?

I'm in upstate NY. There's a few good ones. There's that one on Lark st, I think they just put one in the Crossgates mall (which will be overpriced I'm sure) and I have a friend that runs a spot in Johnstown. They all do trades mostly, retro too.

Hey, I'm in upstate NY, too. I don't remember seeing anything besides Gamestop at Crossgates, but it's been a week at least since I was there. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm there. What's the name of the place on Lark?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »

I don't remember the name. They made the front page in the Metro (free local paper) a month or 2 ago though. The one in Crossgates is on the lower level between Best Buy and Macys somewhere. I'm actually going to check it out in a few hours.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »

lol I already posted about the Lark St. one (Pastime Legends i believe it's called)

tl;dr, it sucks.

I'll have to check the Crossgates one when I get back to Albany (I'm in Syracuse now for Reading Week). I know they have a Gamestop but never knew about anything else there.

If you're around the Albany area I highly recommend Replay
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=J6y&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=replay+games+ny&fb=1&gl=us&hq=replay+games+ny&hnear=replay+games+ny&cid=14207635469314148290

Perhaps the best I've ever been to.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:19:14 PM by SonicDeathMonkey » Logged
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »

The one in Crossgates is really new, and they don't have much stock yet, but it looks like they know what they're doing. The prices seemed to be marked a little on the high side, but that's what I expected. It's called Jay St. Games. It's on the lower level near Macys.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
PSP - Disgaea
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »

I'm lucky.  I have a mom and pop store with the rare good (DDS 1 & 2 still there, and Nocturne, I don't even remember seeing that game when it came out, and DDS1 was lost to the world when the 2nd came out.... yet, they have em all).  I usually buy from them when I have no credit.  They give credit too, but EBGames gives way more for titles ($15 difference when I went to trade Bayonetta in).

Oh? What is this place and where is it in Toronto?

St. Catharines has a chain called Entertainment Overload that is *excellent*.

I've gotten a ton of great stuff from them, for cheap.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »

The one in Crossgates is really new, and they don't have much stock yet, but it looks like they know what they're doing. The prices seemed to be marked a little on the high side, but that's what I expected. It's called Jay St. Games. It's on the lower level near Macys.

Thanks, I'll check it out sometime next week.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »

I'm in upstate NY. There's a few good ones. There's that one on Lark st, I think they just put one in the Crossgates mall (which will be overpriced I'm sure) and I have a friend that runs a spot in Johnstown. They all do trades mostly, retro too.

i dont think so but i could be wrong.

http://www.myexchangefranchise.com/

id be surpised if they are since the exchange offers me more for used games than gamestop does.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »

The mall I used to go to as a kid had a electronics boutique and a babbage's

The babbage's closed and became a gamestop a long time ago. After that the EB became a gamestop. For years there were TWO gamestops in one smallish mall.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »

Didn't Gamestop buy out EB
Many memories of hanging around the EB in Carousel mall as a youth pondering their PSOne and Dreamcast collections in relation to how much money was in my pocket. Had to have enough left to go to the food court, haha
Good times. I was definitely a mall rat in middle school. lol
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »

The mall I used to go to as a kid had a electronics boutique and a babbage's

The babbage's closed and became a gamestop a long time ago. After that the EB became a gamestop. For years there were TWO gamestops in one smallish mall.
The same exact thing happened in the Rotterdam Square mall near where I live. That one was fairly small as well.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
PSP - Disgaea
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »

i dont think so but i could be wrong.

http://www.myexchangefranchise.com/

id be surpised if they are since the exchange offers me more for used games than gamestop does.

"FRANCHISE OPEN HOUSE MAY 15-17, 2009"
that banner needs to be updated soon

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »

Many memories of hanging around the EB in Carousel mall as a youth pondering their PSOne and Dreamcast collections in relation to how much money was in my pocket. Had to have enough left to go to the food court, haha

Yeah, sometime after 2000. Too bad too, EB was really good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »

Carousel Mall? Sounds like... San Bernardino or close by.

Yeah GameStop bought them. They still carry the EB name in Canada though (unless a new location opens up, then it's a GS).

I liked EB. GS is always hit or miss here.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »

Carousel Mall? Sounds like... San Bernardino or close by.

Yeah GameStop bought them. They still carry the EB name in Canada though (unless a new location opens up, then it's a GS).

I liked EB. GS is always hit or miss here.

I like our EB, except this olde EB still takes the Boutique part literally - it is the tiniest place ever.

Same thing keeps happening with Chapters.  Any new Chap locations are under Indigo (even though the former title makes more sense).  Speaking of Chapters, my closest one just renovated the Kids section.... and made it 5 times the size it was.  It's weird how these book stores are more about atmosphere now.  Kids section is HUGE, and the home decor and office supplies blew up in size too. Pfft, kids don't like to read!!!

What the hell. Sorry, off-topic.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »

Gamestop bought out EbGames,babbages and FuncoLand so they all went "umbrella" under them.I miss those old stores because they each something unique.Gamestop and ebgames once had all the games you wanted from the sega eras to the PS1 new releases.And babbages sold figurines and posters in their stores,had more gaming related accessories than the rest.FuncoLand had other non-gaming stuff like DVDs,toys and Pokemon cards.In those days unique gaming stores were around and each one fought hard for your money.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: