Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335293 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Support your local game store!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Support your local game store!  (Read 4638 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

I'm feeling rather spritely as of late and rode the bus down to a retro-games shop on Clark by Belmont street in Chicago.

The place is PACKED with all consoles, games, controllers, that you can think of. They have basically every system you can think of, and tons of games for each. Some cartridge or disc only, but a lot of them in the original box.

The place is big, staff is friendly (why wouldn't they be, they work in a fucking awesome store), and prices are reasonable. If you want the SNES chrono trigger in a mint box, you'll pay for it.

I picked up
G-Police (ps1) in the case w/ manual for $3
Resident Evil (in the original "big" ps1 box w/ manual) for $25
Goldeneye (game only) $15 bux.

If you buy a disc game they put it into a fancy machine that cleans and repairs the disc.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/people-play-games-chicago

Right down the block is an amazing comic book shop as well
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicago-comics-chicago

So I know I'll be a regular customer there.

One thing of note, their PS1 and PS2 selection wasn't as mind blowing as I thought it'd be. But they did have a decent amount, just not a lot of rare looking RPG type games.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

My local non-corporate game store is full of jackasses who sell mainly Fifa and guitar hero type games.

I will not advertise them.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »

My local non-corporate game store is full of jackasses who sell mainly Fifa and guitar hero type games.

I will not advertise them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJIQm9qH-w
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »

Gamestop or bust around here.

Yeah, I buy from Amazon.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

Anyone know of a retro-game store in NYC? That place in Chicago in Yoda's post sounds awesome.

edit: eh, google is your friend. Videogamesnewyork on 6th btwn 3rd and 2nd looks like a cool place in case anyone's interested. Might go check it out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:31:56 PM by supersonic » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »

My best friend once introduced me to a store that has lots of new AND used, lots of rare and lots of old stuff since her friend ran the place (and still does). I can even get rare McFarlane figures there for decent prices. (NHL ones) They had Devil Summoner 1 and 2 last summer but I didn't get them, wish I did. Come to think of it they also had lots of other SMT and and the kind of PSOne RPGs that sell for tons on eBay, like Xenogears and such.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »

In my local store (and any store in this country) a new PS3 game costs 69.99 euro. If I order from an UK site like zavvi the average price for a new release is 45, so yeah, fuck local stores.
Not to mention that on the net prices go down really fast (you can already find dead space 2 cheap and it has been out for less than a month). Here prices only drop when games go platinum and even then they still cost 29.99.

The other day I was talking to this gamestop clerk and I was like: "man, if people only knew how much money they could save by ordering games from the net, you wouldn't sell a single game, I just checked your used games section and I can buy every single one of those games brand new including shipping for less than what you're asking here" and he's like "not so loud man, I have customers in here! You're right though, I order all my shit from the same sites you use, prices here are crazy!"

It really is insane, just a few examples: I bought vanquish day 1 for 31.5, the game is still 69.99 here. You can find enslaved at zavvi for 17.95, here it's still 69.99. If you buy them second hand they'll cost you 54.99 or maybe 49.99 at best. Fuck this.
Shipping is less than 2 euro everywhere, at zavvi it's currently 1.15. I always save at least 20 euro when I buy a game on release, with vanquish I actually saved 37 including shipping! That's 53%!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »

Back in Syracuse I knew of a couple good spots. The best one was actually in a really sketchy neighborhood and was pretty difficult to even distinguish from its surrounding urban decay, but they had a pretty great selection. The most impressive things about this one were its Atari and NES collections. Its Atari collection filled the entire walls of a smallish room.

There's a new shop like this on Lark street in Albany but they have a pretty crumby selection (maybe because they're just starting out, but stilL). Not only that, but they had the worst customer service I've ever dealt with, so bad that I'll probably never go back. I was gonna buy Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast and I stood in line for well over 5 minutes as they were basically just having slow ass conversations with some guys who had apparently already established themselves as regulars worthy of respect. I was pretty pissed off, made a minor scene as a I stormed out. I've never seen such disregard for customers, there were like 3 of us in line and they were acting like they did not give a shit about whether or not they ever got to us. It's fine that they were talking but for fuck's sake can you just sell them their games and continue your convo as you help the next person? It's not like the place was packed, they probably could have just gotten rid of us and had their conversation in private.

But the best video game store I've been to, bar none, is this one in the surburbs of Albany. It's called Replay, again pretty tough to spot (we almost couldn't find it even w/ perfect directions lol, fucker is well hidden on the other side of a goddamn Stewart's gas station). In addition to the fact that they had AWESOME selections for every system (best Saturn collection I've seen, even had lots of TurboGrafx etc.), they had GREAT prices. Chrono Cross and Xenogears were only $15 each which is cheaper than I usually see. They also had system package deals (system + controllers + games + random accessories) at I-got-a-good-deal-on-eBay prices. And it was just a nice store, good layout and such. Could probably spend hours in there. The best part, though: Every Thursday is buy 2 get 1 free day. Which is un-fuck-withable.

CDFN is right though, the internet is pretty much the ultimate game store. lol
However, local game shops are all about classic systems, and it's always fun to poke around for a good deal.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »

Yeah there's no doubt better prices can be had online. But if you're in the market for a system and don't feel like fighting on ebay for something that might not look exactly right these old stores are best.

The one I was at today had numerous nes, genesis, atari, colecovision, a fucking vectrex, jaguar, snes, master system, 32x, etc and so on and so forth.

For pretty good prices too, all boxed w/ controllers and a game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

I buy most of my games from Half Price Books & More, really. Which is a semi-national chain at least, but w/e, best prices out there.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »

Anyone know of a retro-game store in NYC? That place in Chicago in Yoda's post sounds awesome.

edit: eh, google is your friend. Videogamesnewyork on 6th btwn 3rd and 2nd looks like a cool place in case anyone's interested. Might go check it out tomorrow.

There is also another retro store called 8 bit and up on 2nd ave. & 8th street in the st. Marks area. Less stuff but good prices for used stuff. I go there a fair lot whenever I have short work days.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »

There is also another retro store called 8 bit and up on 2nd ave. & 8th street in the st. Marks area. Less stuff but good prices for used stuff. I go there a fair lot whenever I have short work days.

Cool, thanks. That Videogamesnewyork store looks super overpriced from what I can tell by looking at their web page..
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »

Gamestop or bust around here.

Yeah, I buy from Amazon.

I'm lucky.  I have a mom and pop store with the rare good (DDS 1 & 2 still there, and Nocturne, I don't even remember seeing that game when it came out, and DDS1 was lost to the world when the 2nd came out.... yet, they have em all).  I usually buy from them when I have no credit.  They give credit too, but EBGames gives way more for titles ($15 difference when I went to trade Bayonetta in).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »

BGSU used to have three local game stores. Then two of them went out of business and a gamestop came in. BG was fun when it had a local economy. Fuck everything, I swear to god.

Anyway, idk how many local game stores Columbus has. There's one at Tuttle but it sucks kind of. One off of Sawmill that I like but they're entirely used games and I bought everything I ever really wanted from them already.

You know it's weird. I spent a ton of my childhood and teenager years visiting C-bus on the weekends, to the point that when I actually moved here it didn't feel like much of a move. But I can't really recall ever spending much time at local game stores except for the one on Sawmill.

How weird.

Actually my favorite local game store was this PC game/software store at the American Mall in Lima. That' where I got SimCity 2K and MegaMan X. I never bought a lot of stuff there because PC games were expensive as fuck back when it was actually opened and I was like, seven or eight, but I just liked to go through and browse. Of course they closed down in like 1997 or so. American Mall has been fully shuttered for about two or three years.

HEY LET'S REMINISCE ABOUT STORES WE LOVED THAT NOW NO LONGER EXIST.

:(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:58:50 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »

My local gamestore is DimensionPlus (also called the DimPlus). Good selection, prices range from reasonable to cheap and the people are... welll, nice isn't the right word. They're very helpful and know how to deal with idiots. They get shit done.

Another gameshop I like is Castle Gameshop. Great selection and the service is awesome. They also have one of the nicest stores I've seen. It's clean and light but still has a real game store atmosphere. It's in Deventer though, so I go there was a year at most.

Both are very different from the soulless corporation called Game Mania. They're cheap, sure, but that's mostly because they excel at screwing customers over. You can return opened games within seven days and get your money back, sure, but that's mostly because they sell games that don't actually work. I bought a used Tales of Vesperia there, because I couldn't find it anywhere else. It didn't work. I returned it, they tested it in the store, saw it didn't work and put it back on the shelves the next day. That wasn't the first time something like that happened.

Another store I absolutely hate is Game Over in Amsterdam. The owner is an immature and petty dick. At Aniway, a Dutch forum for animefans and gamers, he tried to sell some junk from his store. There rules over at Aniway are very clear: stores are not allowed to use the Buy/Sell/Trade subforum. Anyway, he opened three topics to sell his 'personal collection', which mainly consisted of stuff like eleven copies of Daikatana and fifty FIFA's. When I pointed the rules out to him, he said he was going to call the police, because this was clearly slander. The mods laughed, deleted his topics and banned his ass forever and ever. I'm going to mention his name here, Simon Hofgeest, because he's known to google his own name and register at forums to respond to anyone and everyone who says something bad about his store. Ah, the stores the internet has to tell about this guy...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: