Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329312 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Question about ebay etiquette and protocol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about ebay etiquette and protocol  (Read 1290 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »

So I bought a genesis off a guy for $15 +$15 in shipping. Description claimed it works and let me copy and paste some text for you from the thing:
Condition:   
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the sellerís listing for full details and description of any imperfections

I only accept PayPal.
Payment is expected within 48 hours after auction has ended.
All Items are sold AS IS.
I DO NOT accept returns.

First off: I tried cleaning it out pretty thoroughly and no improvement. Tried two games and both did not work. Basically the problem is the visuals look like an NES did when it'd start freaking out. All blocked up
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/940f12f5.jpg

I cleaned the carts off w/ alcohol using qtips.

Cleaned the console pins off w/ alcohol and a small gentle brush (supposed to be for cleaning bridgework)

So I contacted the guy and he said he'd apply a full refund but I'd have to pay for return shipping. I personally think that's BS because the product is not what was advertised.

So what would you guys do? I'm not an experienced EBAYER by any stretch.

Should I try more cleaning options?
Should I send it back and pay for return shipping?
Should I demand he pays for the return shipping?
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »

I can't tell you anything about how to clean it, but, unfortunately, the buyer pretty much always pays return shipping on eBay. Even if it's not your fault.

You can contact eBay staff and see if they can help you out, but dispute settling is a fairly lengthy process so it depends on your patience. But don't demand anything of him, contact an eBay staff first. Pretty sure there's an option on the site somewhere to instant message with one.

But IMO, that is NOT a working product. So contact eBay and let them tell you what steps you can take.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:21:12 AM »

I did some reading and did see that buyer pays for return shipping.

Thanks for the reply, the protection thing ebay has is pretty easy to understand actually.

I'll probably just get one from a shop next time and pay the extra 20 or so for a clean and tested model.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: