Author Topic: GamePro: The 14 Best Unreleased JRPGs

Eusis

• View Profile

insertnamehere

• View Profile
Re: GamePro: The 14 Best Unreleased JRPGs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »
FF12 international?
That seems unfair since we already have a perfectly easy-to-find version of it.
14 seems like a weird number to stop with, although I counted 13 on that list.
I'd probably add Soma Bringer and Criminal Girls.
Import reviews are really positive for both.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
I agree on Bahamut Lagoon, 7th dragon, SeGaGaGa, SD Snatcher and Seiken Densetsu 3. Freaking shame we did not get any of these.

badsanta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
I agree on Bahamut Lagoon, 7th dragon, SeGaGaGa, SD Snatcher and Seiken Densetsu 3. Freaking shame we did not get any of these.

Technically, yes, we did not get any of these. On the other hand, more then half of these have fan-translation patches available, so it's not a total loss.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
Oh wow, Fire Emblem 6 is there. It's still one of my favourite FEs. I think people would argue for FE4 (Seisen) though.

Innocent Sin, that'll change.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:25 AM »
Live-a-Live is probably the most unorthodox choice there.  For sorta good reason, it's dated now, but would have been pretty cool way back when (the sci-fi chapter freaked me out, actually; like an SNES version of the films 'Moon' and 'Alien').

Missing a few key titles though.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:42 AM »
Took a look at that list. Whether I agree with some of the games being on the list or not, I just can't agree with much of what that guy wrote.

Games like Bahamut Lagoon, SD3, and Live A Live more likely didn't come over here due to limitations present at the time such as cartridge production and distribution, getting crap past the radar (Bahamut Lagoon in particular), providing bug fixes (if you can imagine it, the original JP run of FFVI was buggier than the FFIII that we got), and that SquareSoft had produced well over a dozen games over the course of those three years, about half of which we got and half of which we didn't (like any of the Romancing SaGa games, Treasure of the Rudra, Treasure Hunter G, and the aforementioned among other games). Also I wouldn't count on SD3 showing up on western VCs any time soon as it seems that Nintendo is very strict on what you can actually do to ROMs uploaded onto the service (i.e. jack squat, you'd be better served just straight emulating the game rather than paying to emulate it, especially since there have been many wonderful ROM hacks over the years that makes certain, text heavy games far more enjoyable to non Japanese readers).

Then there's FEVI. The reason for that one is two fold. First by the time the US had shown interest in the FE series thanks to Melee, FEVII was nearing completion so they gave us that instead. The other reason was that FEVII was far more accessible and polished than VI was and made for a much easier entry to the series for US players who'd never heard of the series beyond Melee. Also the author's reasoning as to why we got VIII over VI after VII is ridiculous. Understandable, but ridiculous.

Then there's SeGaGaGa. Aside from the nods to the Sega games of yesteryear, there really isn't any real good reason as to why this game had to be on the list. There are in fact plenty of better games like, oh say Growlanser PSP, that would be worth more mention. Gardia Quest II gets a pass since its part of Game Center CX 2 and Game Center CX is the closest we'll likely get to seeing any commercial release of anything Game Center related out here in the west (unless, by some miracle, Spike TV decides to pick it up just to have some new kind of "Those wacky Japanese" program that NBC will shamelessly steal from).

SD Snatcher. I don't care if it does feature Random Hajile in a panda suit, it wasn't a good game. Moving on...

FFXII International. The fact that we didn't get this already was retarded. However, getting it now while faith in the FF franchise is kinda low, in addition to the fact that many FF Fanatics tend to rate the original version of the game from dislike to outright despise, as well as the fact that it still doesn't fix the fundamental problem with the game to begin with (nor ever will as the problem is that the core of the game itself is the result of the fusion of two radically different games with radically different design philosophies and radically different genres).

SaGa 2. I really can't say whether or not Squeenix has given up on the west yet. It could just be that they're being lazy fucks right now about the series, or it could be that they're too busy with crappier series like Kingdom Hearts. It's probably worth holding our breaths over for a little while longer.

Tales of Innocence/Hearts. Wasn't Innocence terrible to begin with, or was that The Tempest? Either way, I've never really cared about the Tales series that much, and even if I did, there are better games for me to pine for than those two. (Also we'd just get stuck with the CGI version of Hearts anyways.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ShadowLaguna

• Rattle your goddamn head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:08:58 AM »
Wasn't Innocence terrible to begin with, or was that The Tempest? Either way, I've never really cared about the Tales series that much, and even if I did, there are better games for me to pine for than those two. (Also we'd just get stuck with the CGI version of Hearts anyways.)

On the other hand, Tales of Hearts is really good, and may well be my favourite game on the DS. Though I do own the Anime version. It would be great to see it outside of Japan though (as well as Innocence, double pack perhaps?).

Bahamut Lagoon is a game that I've never played, not even on emulator, but it seems like a good game, so I'd like to see a domestic release for this one.

I quite like Live A Live from what I've played of it.

FFXII International, couldn't care less. But the fact that it's labelled "International" beats the hell outta me.

I knew I'd see Mother 3 in there somewhere. I agree times a billion. Same with Seiken Densetsu 3.

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. That the one with Roy in it? He was one of my favourite Melee fighters.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:15:09 AM by ShadowLaguna »

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:17:34 AM »
A bunch of those were translated already

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:08:35 AM »
At first I thought "The Japanese Wizardry games!!!" but then again they're basically WRPG's just not released outside Japan so probably don't count...

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »
Tales of Innocence/Hearts. Wasn't Innocence terrible to begin with, or was that The Tempest? Either way, I've never really cared about the Tales series that much, and even if I did, there are better games for me to pine for than those two. (Also we'd just get stuck with the CGI version of Hearts anyways.)

Tempest was bad. Innocence was good. Hearts was fantastic.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
Some gems there including Persona 2:Innocent Sin.Hope we get it.

I have a few of those including bahamut lagoon,Mother 3,Segagaga,and FFXII International.

Some other gems I imported are the Sakura Taisen games,Shining Force 3 Scenarios 2/3,Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix,and of course the fucking game that Square just failed to release here,Front Mission 5!

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:48 AM »
something else we may be unlikely to get
Arms' Heart, from director of Shadow Hearts
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23367580

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
The article's not bad, but the logic that he uses to put together how likely it is we'll see the titles is loopy at best.
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
I'm surprised it was missing Xenoblade and Last Story.
It seems like those games are universally talked about as being just one game.