Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330050 Posts in 13525 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Sting, possibly Dept. Heaven game in the works?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Sting, possibly Dept. Heaven game in the works?  (Read 1986 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/23/gungnir-the-next-title-from-sting-is-a-traditional-strategy-rpg/

Important to note that its being made by the same team that did Yggra Union and is being designed by the same guy that did all the other Dept. Heaven games. It's also coming out on the PSP first.

Odd to hear it claim to be traditional given how these games usually go.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »

Odd to hear it claim to be traditional given how these games usually go.

Based on the one screen there, I assume we're talking "Traditional Strategy" in the sense of tactical, individual, and class-based (a la FF Tactics).

I could dig it.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »

I liked Yggdra Union way more than I thought I would.  Definitely paying attention to this.

supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »

I never understood the following that Sting has. I only played Riviera and Hexyz Force, but they both had pretty mediocre stories and some questionable design choices. Besides, given that Atlus USA hasn't even announced Blaze Union (let alone Yggdra Unison) yet it's not certain at all that this new game will ever be localized.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »

I never understood the following that Sting has. I only played Riviera and Hexyz Force, but they both had pretty mediocre stories and some questionable design choices.

I agree with you, but I also think those are Sting's two worst games.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:49 PM »

I played Riviera back then on the GBA. I was ok.
Worth its money, but not special enough to be remembered.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:56:19 AM »

I never understood the following that Sting has. I only played Riviera and Hexyz Force, but they both had pretty mediocre stories and some questionable design choices. Besides, given that Atlus USA hasn't even announced Blaze Union (let alone Yggdra Unison) yet it's not certain at all that this new game will ever be localized.

Riviera biggest draw to fame was that it featured dating-sim elements long before Persona 3 came out much like the Sakura Taisen series did (also voice acting). The fact that the gameplay wasn't an afterthought like in the ST series was just a nice bonus. And said battle system was actually unique which at the time was all but unheard of in RPGs of the day even if, in practice, it was horribly unbalanced. All in all not bad for what was originally a WonderSwan Color title (I forget whether the WSC version had voice acting or if the GBA version was the first to include that).

Blaze Union is a completely different matter given how its being handled by a wholly separate team and is only loosely tied to the Yggdra Union plot.

Also Treasure Hunter G was awesome.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »

I loved Riviera. I also love the Dept. Heaven games. I am looking forward to this

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »

Personally, I think Knight In The Nightmare is Sting's best game so far with Yggdra Union coming in second. This new game looks like it could possibly takes their places.

Here's the teaser site with some music playing in the background.

http://gungnir.atlusnet.jp/

"Oh, a hunter..."
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

I'm certainly looking forward to this.  Sting is one of my favorite developers mainly cause the Dept. Heaven series games are all very good and have innovative mechanics.  I don't think Hexyz Force was that great but I love Riviera (GBA ver at least, didnt' play PSP one).  I even like the Evolution games on dreamcast lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:09:07 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing more info on this one. Oh, and I do so hope we get Blaze Union Someday. Yggdra Union was lots of fun.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/28/gungnirs-tactical-gauge-system-explained/

A bit of an update on the mechanics.

Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »

Riviera biggest draw to fame was that it featured dating-sim elements long before Persona 3 came out much like the Sakura Taisen series did (also voice acting). The fact that the gameplay wasn't an afterthought like in the ST series was just a nice bonus. And said battle system was actually unique which at the time was all but unheard of in RPGs of the day even if, in practice, it was horribly unbalanced. All in all not bad for what was originally a WonderSwan Color title (I forget whether the WSC version had voice acting or if the GBA version was the first to include that).

Blaze Union is a completely different matter given how its being handled by a wholly separate team and is only loosely tied to the Yggdra Union plot.

Also Treasure Hunter G was awesome.

I've also had trouble gaining interest in Sting's games.  I've played Yggdra Union off and on and tried both versions of Knights...I dunno.  Hexyz Force was the first to really pull me in but, to take the words of supersonic, some of their design choices are odd.  Though my stomach for odd is quite iron willed.  I do enjoy the SaGa games.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »

I can't say that I've really ever played any Dept. Heaven games (I just started Riviera: The Promised Land), but after seeing their track records with Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare, Hexyz Force, and Yggdra Union (listed in the order I wish to play the games), I couldn't help but get excited for Gungir. Besides, any good SRPG is a friend of mine.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »

I really wish I liked Sting games, but I just....don't. A shame.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: