Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 07:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329391 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Rift
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 11097 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »

Anyone playing Rift? Any thoughts? Reviews? Feelings?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

WoW clone... move along.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »

More like a WoW / Warhammer hybrid, actually. Alot of people I know who played Aion and Warhammer are playing it now.

Edit:More Information.
The game from what I heard is pretty solid. Good at many things and a master of none. It is very casual friendly. The game's  head start opened Thursday and there are already a few people in the upper 30s running around with the cap being 50. I am weary about giving it a try because I am skeptical about its  endgame, and how long it can keep my attention.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:30:14 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »

WoW clone... move along.

Thanks for this informative post. It must have taken ages to come up with such riveting thoughts on your own.

Yes, there are a lot of elements that are similar or the same as WOW. If a recipe works then why fuck with it too much?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »

I dabbled a little in some of the later beta stages. To be clear, I didn't delve into the game very deeply at all, so a lot of these are surface impressions.

To start, the game is very pretty. And while my computer is not off-the-shelf, it is starting to noticeably lag behind in the hardware department. Yet, I had no trouble rendering anything the game threw at me, though I didn't run it extensively at Ultra settings.

It is also, in some ways, very much a "WoW Clone." To be clear, I don't mean this in a bad way, since I love WoW, but a quick perusal of some of the talent trees--sorry, soul trees--show a number of abilities that seem to be lifted directly out of the WoW talent trees, some nearly word-for-word. Class mechanics are much of the same too--the rogue-like class operates under a 5-point combo point system with finishers, all of which seemed to be pretty much old hat. Similarly, the warrior class operates with a three-point attack point system that stacks on the character from certain attacks, which is pretty much exactly what WoW Paladin's Holy Power system is--hell, one of the specializations main attacks is even a shield slam that buffs your block skill, exactly like a protection paladin.

But, despite this, Rift does take things in different directions. The inclusion of buff-and-debuff specializations like the bard adds an extra level of complexity that WoW is missing, and the combinations of specs look like you could do some really interesting things. So, while Rift does grow out of WoW in a lot of ways, I feel like it's less copying WoW and more using it as a foundation and expanding upon it. Which is a great way to build a player base, really. Having played WoW for years, each of the classes I tried in Rift were extremely easy to pick up and play, and the talent trees and abilities were very easy to understand and to navigate.

I'm kind of torn, really. It seems lijke a great game--very, very polished for a pre-release MMO--and even better one that would be extremely easy to transition into. On the other hand, I'm not really sold on the game having enough interesting content at endgame to convince me it's worth giving up a max-level character and a great guild in WoW to play it. Try it, sure, but the endgame is going to have to really, really impress me to make the change worth the effort. Like I said, I didn't get very deep into the game (starting areas, at best) but I think they're going to have to up their game a bit and show me that they can really make their own changes to the WoW system work.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »

WoW clone... move along.

Thanks for this informative post. It must have taken ages to come up with such riveting thoughts on your own.

Yes, there are a lot of elements that are similar or the same as WOW. If a recipe works then why fuck with it too much?

If a recipe works and has a guy with 6 years more experience doing it than you...

I'm not bashing the game, but people need to stop cloning WoW and make something interesting.
For more info watch: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1906-The-Future-of-MMOs
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »

WoW clone... move along.

If a recipe works and has a guy with 6 years more experience doing it than you...

I'm not bashing the game, but people need to stop cloning WoW and make something interesting.
For more info watch: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1906-The-Future-of-MMOs

I am not saying I don't want innovation, but if you can hold onto enough familiarity so people can jump right in and feel all cozy and at home then why not?

It is currently the head start for people that pre-order and I am hearing good things from my friends. I am contemplating joining, just to see, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. I did with Warhammer and was disappointed.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »

I don't know, there's lots of stuff you probably should steal from wow because it'll make your game better. UI, basic controls, that kind of thing. Maybe steal a gameplay idea here and there as long as you don't overdo it. I think it does kind of cross the line when you directly rip the rogue energy/combo point system. That gets into 'sonic in overalls jumping in warp pipes' territory.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »

It isn't like WoW was exactly original. It borrowed alot from Everquest and improved upon things done previously.Rift better have one hell of an endgame. Some people have reached cap already O_o    
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »

I thought this game was coming out for PS3 because Gamestop had a giant box for Rift next to a giant Marvel vs Capcom 3 box.

I looked into it and was very interested.  What I read gave me the impression that WoW is the common ground, but Rift will cater to those with finer tastes.  Everquest and Final Fantasy 11 had that slightly elitist wine-and-cheese quality that is missing in WoW.  I actually like that.

Too bad it's not for fucking PS3 and you need a Batcomputer to run it. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »

I broke down and bought it. I am impressed so far. Yes, there are a lot of similarities to WoW but overall it has a different enough feel to keep me interested. Will post more soon after I get past level 5.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »

Too bad it's not for fucking PS3 and you need a Batcomputer to run it. 

I'd like to play it, but this is kind of preventing me from playing it at the moment.  I know it would run on my current system (once fixed), but a custom PC is on the horizon and I'd love to play the game on ultra/hi-res settings.

It isn't like WoW was exactly original. It borrowed alot from Everquest and improved upon things done previously.Rift better have one hell of an endgame. Some people have reached cap already O_o   

I wonder how long it will take them to get bored.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »

console peasants
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »

console peasants

What the fuck does that even mean?

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:07 AM »

What the fuck does that even mean?

He is a master of the great PC race. You shouldn't even look in his direction, let alone question his authority.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: