Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319130 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Songs that remind you of times...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Songs that remind you of times...  (Read 4369 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »

Odd topic.  But I've always loved music for it's ability to almost take you back to what you felt when you heard it.
Got any particular moments?

--- Few of mine...

Unlimited SaGa OST: reminds me of when I worked at a chair company in Toronto, it's where I first heard, and listened the fuck out of it.  This actually goes for the Zweii II OST (find it, FIND IT, if you can - it's fucking awesome).

The Beautiful Mistake: reminds me of the gym, had a few of their tracks on then, and now it just kinda sticks.

Bigwig, Still (and various other punk/ska): highschool, it was at an all-time highlight then.

Bif Naked, Spaceman: reminds me of the drive to my drama classes back when I was in gradeschool.  I loved this song. 

Avishai Cohen: little-known jazz musician, reminds me of a boy I liked, who got me into jazz, but also reminds me of Greece, when I went there and had some of Cohen's stuff on my MP3 player.

Kirby Super Star OST: Christmas time.  My bro and I played the game like mad when we were getting ready for "santa" to arrive.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

New Seekers - Free to be you and me.

We saw the associated video in second grade, in my school. I... don't really want to say what it reminds me of because there are some rabbit holes not meant going down and this one's a hurricane of Vaseline and mindless blades, but there are cycles I've never learned to stop recursing and this takes me back to a simultaneous beginning state, ending state of all of them.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna

Spent the previous day with food poisoning. Woke up, ate some lingonberry pancakes, and my family frove from the hotel in Gatlinburg out to Ashville NC. Picked this up at a now-defunct record store. Reminds me a lot of my freshman year of college, which was probably the last time I still liked college.

Chrono Trigger OST

All Badlands and kitsch and nighttime driving with locusts gnashed up into the radiator.

Radiohead's The Bends album, The Dixie Chix's cover of Landslide

Snow. Endless snow, mud, and darkness.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

Type O Negative: Cinnamon Girl

That reminds me of a night when I took a walk and saw two people screwing in a car.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »

What Yoda doesn't know is that the people in question were Thoren and his [unspecified female relation of Yoda's].

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

Final Fantasy X - Wandering Flame.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:31:29 AM »

A lot of video game music reminds me of the times I was playing those video games.

Uh...my life isn't very interesting.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:15:41 AM »

What Yoda doesn't know is that the people in question were Thoren and his [unspecified female relation of Yoda's].

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »

A lot of video game music reminds me of the times I was playing those video games.

Uh...my life isn't very interesting.

hey, me too
like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckgyhCo7Lw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvrE51sRL_M

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »

Children of Bodom - Mask of Sanity - Reminds me of a time in high school when everything went to shit and it was everything I had to do to not go crazy on some people

Skyclad - Jumping my Shadow and Nachtmystium - Ghosts of Grace remind me of terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE heartache and of darker things...despite being two of my favorite songs I do not listen to them much.

High and Mighty Color - I spent a summer on the bus listening to them while reading, hearing them now still reminds me of warmth and reading.

Judas Priest - A Touch of Evil - I had a very dirty girlfriend once, this song brings back some decent memories

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »

As much as I love game music, I can only think of a couple things that might go with this topic.

The opening music from FFIV(II back in the day) reminds me of when we(my brothers and I. We sneaked it) first got our SNES, and one of our parents walked in while it was playing. I remember telling them that the NES now had games with special chips in them allowing for better music.

Not sure this is relevant, but whenever I hear "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns N Roses I think of Phantasy Star II. Specifically, the iconic guitar portion of it. For some reason it sounds like the music from PSII to me.

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of any. Weird.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

This reminds me of headbanging to the red alert soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QyQ9PsOj6A

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Oh wow, 1996 nostalgia just hit me dead in the face.  I loved this song and game so much.  Gaming was so much better in the 90's :)

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »

I've been road tripping it for the last few summers to the point where I've seen the majority of the US. The West coast is all I have left to explore. A lot of my music memories are of that.

Neil Young's - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere reminds me of the three day trek across Texas, where I visited Guadeloupe National Park, Austin, and then drove overnight into New Orleans.

My first summer home from college I rode my bike over to a friend's house (~20 miles) and listened to Deerhunter's Microcastle. It was kind of like hearing music again for the first time.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »

Any version of "Mana Palace" from Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure) ... Game Boy, GBA, orchestral ... any version works ... it takes me to a place in my head that I can only call "nature heaven." It's basically if heaven were a rain forest. It's the whole Na'vi Avatar thing, but decades before said movie existed. It does something to me, it takes me somewhere else.

Another piece of music that is "heavenly" enough to imagine you'd actually hear it when arriving in heaven (should such a place exist, and I desperately hope it does) -- "Truth" from disc 2 of the Vagrant Story soundtrack.

"Kiss Me Sweet" from Sakura Taisen V takes me back to my wedding day (Dec 31 2005) ... because it was played at my wedding.

The original 2001 version of "Objection!" (first Phoenix Wright) as well as Gumshoe's theme ("Keisuke Itonoko") ... these songs remind me of a time in my younger years when I was sitting at the mall waiting to meet up with a girl I had a crush on. Can't explain why. That's just ... something I remember, and music I heard almost a decade later reminds me of that moment.

"Tail Song" from Napple Tale reminds me of when I watched my big brother in our high school's production of "Into the Woods." Namely because Tail Song sounds like something straight out of a Stephen Sondheim musical ... if Sondheim spoke Japanese.

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »

Oh wow, 1996 nostalgia just hit me dead in the face.  I loved this song and game so much.  Gaming was so much better in the 90's :)

Why did I just remember Tanya's sexy Russian accent?

EDIT: and why did I know that at 12?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:49:26 PM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: